RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
strangelookingalien

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by strangelookingalien »

I am one of those who bought tickets for Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday AND Grandstand seats. I am not regretting it yet - RAFCTE have rather good form in terms of putting on airshows and I have no doubt they will get something special for the airshow. Worst case scenario, it's a nice day out at an historic RAF base with a decent, yet perhaps not world beating airshow. Best case - it is even better!

I am someone that thinks virtually all airshows are massively underpriced for what they are. £39.00 for a day out is not cheap, but in comparison to virtually any other day out it is a bargain.

AngryAndyPandy

Post by AngryAndyPandy »

I for one would find it interesting to see if the announcments for RIAT ever started with the likes of the home team displays and the Belgian F-16, and whether or not people would jump on them for that? I can't imagine so, either...

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

AngryAndyPandy wrote:I for one would find it interesting to see if the announcments for RIAT ever started with the likes of the home team displays and the Belgian F-16, and whether or not people would jump on them for that? I can't imagine so, either...
Just sit back and read the threads of some 10 years ago. When RIAT had announced more then that, people were very unhappy (and that is an understatement).
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

AngryAndyPandy wrote:I for one would find it interesting to see if the announcments for RIAT ever started with the likes of the home team displays and the Belgian F-16, and whether or not people would jump on them for that? I can't imagine so, either...

People aren't moaning about the content. They're moaning about the price they're being charged for that content!! RIAT tickets are expensive, because it's a unique product and arguably the best in the world. Scampton Airshow isn't in the same league by any stretch of the imagine. It's competing with like of Yeovilton (£22/£28), Cosford (£22/25), Duxford (£29/£33), Waddington (£24/£28), Culdrose (£15/£20). Scampton's £39 ticket price is simply too high for the quality of airshow being promised currently in many people's opinion.

john001

Post by john001 »

You may be right but it is not for the vast majority competing against those shows. It only does that for the relatively small number of enthusiasts who may choose between them. Local people that will make up the vast majority would probably not even consider going to the other shows. Scampton is competing against other attractions and for 39 pounds you get free parking and free under 16s. That's a good deal for families if one adult goes.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

john001 wrote:You may be right but it is not for the vast majority competing against those shows. It only does that for the relatively small number of enthusiasts who may choose between them. Local people that will make up the vast majority would probably not even consider going to the other shows. Scampton is competing against other attractions and for 39 pounds you get free parking and free under 16s. That's a good deal for families if one adult goes.

Fair, and often-mooted logic, tbh. Hard to argue against it.

Though, if that's the case, I often find myself wondering why the shows mentioned above charge as little as they do, then. If the figure of £39 is a good deal for families by comparison to other local events; wouldn't one assume the same in the West Midlands, or down south, or Cambridgeshire?

You'd assume £39 a good deal for families would be (broadly) consistent across the U.K., right? So why don't Cosford, Yeovilton, Culdrose etc all charge that amount, because the logic surely dictates that £39 is still good value by comparison to other local activities in those areas, too?

john001

Post by john001 »

Tommy wrote:
john001 wrote:You may be right but it is not for the vast majority competing against those shows. It only does that for the relatively small number of enthusiasts who may choose between them. Local people that will make up the vast majority would probably not even consider going to the other shows. Scampton is competing against other attractions and for 39 pounds you get free parking and free under 16s. That's a good deal for families if one adult goes.

Fair, and often-mooted logic, tbh. Hard to argue against it.

Though, if that's the case, I often find myself wondering why the shows mentioned above charge as little as they do, then. If the figure of £39 is a good deal for families by comparison to other local events; wouldn't one assume the same in the West Midlands, or down south, or Cambridgeshire?

You'd assume £39 a good deal for families would be (broadly) consistent across the U.K., right? So why don't Cosford, Yeovilton, Culdrose etc all charge that amount, because the logic surely dictates that £39 is still good value by comparison to other local activities in those areas, too?

Logic might Tommy but selling means you charge the price you think you can get. Some of it comes down to advance or on the day, if tickets are limited and the risk taken by both organiser (finance) and public (weather). But the figures above are actually not comparing the same. Yeovilton is 28 pounds on the day plus 10 per 5-15 year old - so assuming your average 2 kids its 48 pounds.

CJS

Post by CJS »

SallyB have Scampton on their own calendar, down as arriving on the Friday.

http://www.sallyb.org.uk/flying-program ... gramme2017
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

A month ago there was quite a few grumbleweeds on the Cosford page.. now everybody seems content.

Just proves how quickly things can change - & also how the Scampton show shouldn't be judged on its current line up.

Dont you think?

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

RAF statics announced,
Typhoon
Tornado x2
Hawk T.1
Hawk T.2
Tucano x2
King air
Grob Tutor
It's a start but still not worth £39.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Adamwilliams132 wrote:RAF statics announced,
Typhoon
Tornado x2
Hawk T.1
Hawk T.2
Tucano x2
King air
Grob Tutor

I don't know put them under lights and folks can't wait to get £60+ out of their wallet! :shock:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

CJS

Post by CJS »

capercaillie wrote:
Adamwilliams132 wrote:RAF statics announced,
Typhoon
Tornado x2
Hawk T.1
Hawk T.2
Tucano x2
King air
Grob Tutor

I don't know put them under lights and folks can't wait to get £60+ out of their wallet! :shock:

Not all of them, just the Tornados. :grin:

CJS

Post by CJS »

According to their own Facebook page, the as yet unconfirmed date for the Couteau Deltateam is not Scampton.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

CJS wrote:According to their own Facebook page, the as yet unconfirmed date for the Couteau Deltateam is not Scampton.
My guess is Lens. That is because Sanicole is now about or complete full from a flying point of view. Scrub Scampton and you have a show left that happens to be in the same country as the team originates from.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

From a RIAT email:
Scampton Airshow will play host to up to 100 aircraft over the airshow weekend, both in the air and on the ground. Visitors will be immersed in a feast of aviation, meeting crews from around the world, getting up close to aircraft in the static park, as well as experiencing the amazing 5 hour flying display!

After a very quick count I think there has been around 30 aircraft participants announced, so that does leave quite a lot of opportunity for additions.

Edit: 33 according to the website.

kph100

Post by kph100 »

33 is UPTO 100 :yahoo:

We were considering this show, but now leaning towards the much closer Victory Show that weekend.

frank

Post by frank »

It also says 5 hour flying display - now please correct me if I am way off BUT based on RIAT which has a max of 30 displays over say 7 hours this implies about 20 displays. I count about 15 confirmed displays so far so implies not many more to come.
Not sure I made the correct choice to be honest :sad:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Mailshot from RAFCT today :
Come and be thrilled by a unique mix of modern military jets, historic warbirds, civilian display acts, the RAF Falcons - the UK's premier military parachute team, all joining the world famous Red Arrows performing at their home base! The inaugural Scampton Airshow takes place on the weekend of 9-10 September 2017.

Scampton Airshow will play host to up to 100 aircraft over the airshow weekend, both in the air and on the ground. Visitors will be immersed in a feast of aviation, meeting crews from around the world, getting up close to aircraft in the static park, as well as experiencing the amazing 5 hour flying display!

The Scampton Airshow gives you the rare opportunity to visit this historic RAF Station and experience its' 100 years of aviation. From WW1 and WW2 and the famous 617 'Dambusters' Squadron, through to the Cold War when Scampton was a key station for the Vulcan.

Get close to this rich aviation history by visiting the exhibits and displays in the Heritage Hangar, with a limited number of pre-booked tours for the Heritage Museum.
Visit the Vintage Village where you will be transported back to the 1940's with music, entertainment, re-enactors, old military vehicles and memorabilia; all from a bygone age.
See Europe's largest private collection of fire engines.
Meet the serving men and women of your Royal Air Force in the RAF Village. Experience the diverse roles within the RAF and get hands on with equipment used to keep aircraft flying.
Fast forward to the future in the Techno Zone, sponsored by Rolls-Royce, where a vast range of free fun STEM (science, engineering, technology and maths) activities will inspire young minds.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Jet Provost XW324 down for static display on its website.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

frank wrote:It also says 5 hour flying display - now please correct me if I am way off BUT based on RIAT which has a max of 30 displays over say 7 hours this implies about 20 displays. I count about 15 confirmed displays so far so implies not many more to come.
Not sure I made the correct choice to be honest :sad:

That's an interesting way to look at it. Last year RIAT had 31, of which around 7 were long-slot items like aerobatic teams or the heritage flight combo. That said, it was significantly over 7 hours. Cosford has into the 20's, in a five hour display. I don't think there's a direct formula, but I have to agree with your basic assumptions.

I'm sure Scampton has some good stuff to come, and I'm hoping for the best - but it is squeaky bum time.

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

Hope the Canadians send their special scheme jet!
Last edited by Wissam24 on Thu 25 May 2017, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Basic spelling

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

Canadian hornet confirmed unfortunetly its on static and not displaying
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Hopefully DBH will still try to get the Canadian F18 that is doing flypasts at Lens and Sanicole to include RAF Scampton on its tour...!!

However confirmed today strikemaster 2 ship. Will this be the same role demo display as at RAF Cosford??

Also Gazelle Squadron website lists RAF Scampton as confirmed!! But only 2 ship not full 4 ship display, much prefer to see them than the autogyro...