Ursel Avia 2017

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
EGL

Ursel Avia 2017

Post by EGL »

Wondering if anyone has been to an airshow here before?

Happened to notice this was on the weekend we're travelling to Holland (by car) for a family holiday. Almost pass by en-route from Calais so managed to persuade my wife into a couple of nights in Brugges and a trip to the show on the Sunday.

Confirmed so far:

NH90 TTH
2X Alpha Jet
Consolidated PBY Catalina
2x Stinson Reliant V77
TravelAir 4000
Extra 330 SC
VCU demonstration (looks like a local flying club)
T65 XW-wing - I'm presuming static only :grin:

JensSr

Re: Ursel Avia 2017

Post by JensSr »

ive been here, Its a great local show with alot of warbirds.
https://youtu.be/Ug3-FnHKDO0
Here a report.
From a guy thats also active on this fourm :D

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

VCU probably translates in the Victors Formation Team which is part of the Ursel's flying club.

Ursel is a Belgian Air Force relief landing ground and former RAF Hawker Typhoon base. It is really a big fly-in with a small (non-aerobatic - at least for civilian displays) flying display element. I'm sure Chrisse can explain much better!

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Good lord, I’m involved in far too many events. I’ll never get married this way :sad:

As was pointed out earlier, Ursel Avia is a fly-in rather than a full-fledged airshow. It is actually the opendoor of aeroclub Ursel, one of the two aeroclubs using the airfield. Aeroclub Ursel is also the club behind Formation Team The Victors which visitors of the International Sanicole Airshow, Belgian Air Force Days, Aerofestival Poznan and Helsinki Airshow may know :wink:

Ursel Avia is a cooperation between the aeroclub and workgroup B67. The latter aims to keep the memory of the Second World War airfield at Ursel, on the opposite side of the road of the NATO reserve field, alive, with organized school visits and a memorial trail through the woods leading to an open space with remembrance monument, all the product of this workgroup. Particular attention is paid to the role of RAF Typhoons during the liberation which supported operations to gain control over the access to the port of Antwerp while flying from Ursel.

In addition to the open door and fly-in, there is a static display and a short, limited, non-aerobatic flying display because of regulations and permits since 2015. This adds to the arrivals and departures of fly-in participants and aircraft performing pleasure flights.
This year, we are working together with the opendoor of the military Air Traffic Control Center at Semmerzake on the Friday before Ursel Avia. As you can see from the confirmations already listed above, these also come from the UK in some cases, like a TravelAir 4000 and two Stinson Reliants this year.

The static consists mostly of vintage aircraft and the occasional warbird (in the past with a Boomerang, Mustang, Spitfire, ...). The Belgian air force also supports the static, as does the Royal Air Force most years thanks to the strong ties between the workgroup B67 and the RAF. We've hosted Tucanos, Hawks, King Air, Squirrel and Griffin and even a Tornado once! The Belgian air force has already confirmed 2 Alpha Jets and an NH-90TTH for starters. The life-sized X-Wing Starfighter mentioned is the centerpiece of an exhibition "Art of flying" and is built by a local technical school.
Also of interest is that a local brewery even produces a special beer for the event, the Ursels Vliegenierken (Flyboy), which can be tasted on the spot and purchased in a nice giftbox.

If you're interested, keep an eye on www.urselavia.be, we announce a new participant every Friday late afternoon. Entrance is €10 per person for 1 day or €15 for the weekend. Children younger than 12 enter for free.
You can also check a highlights video of 2015 here. Do come join us if you're in the area! I'm sure you'll find it a welcoming event and visitors always walk away with some very cool shots!

EGL

Post by EGL »

Many thanks for the update - liking the sound of it, especially the beer!

Following on Facebook already so will keep up to date on movements from there - really liked this weeks :love: Shame the GBP/EUR rate is so poor, although even then I think my wife would take some amount of persuasion.

Current plans are for visiting on the Sunday as we'll be travelling Saturday morning.

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Since the last addition to this topic, we've added another Stinson Reliant (actually, our most famous and popular one, the Stinson of Remko Sijben in RN colours!) and the first of our RAF static participants, a Beech King Air.

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Steadily updating our list of participants... The Belgian air force will be sending a medevac Embraer 145, while the RAF has already confirmed 2 Tucanos and a King Air.
In addition, one of our sponsors, the animal park Pairi Daiza, has confirmed it will send its An-2 'Eagle eye', part of the Pairi Daiza Foundation. The aircraft is assigned to help with relief and supply missions of people involved in animal protection in remote areas. Looks quite striking ;)

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/urselavia/posts/1040214179412246:0[/fb-post]

EGL

Post by EGL »

Been keeping an eager eye on the updates and looking forward to it!

Are there vendors on the day for food etc? If so what kind of thing (my kids are fussy eaters!)?

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Some tasty updates still to come :)

There are some food vendors, though smaller scale than what you’re used to at big airshows. There are usually two on the concrete in front of the hangars. One sells the expected fare with fries and assorted greasy extras (also hamburgers or sausage I think), whereas number two tends to be fries (you’re in Belgium :whistle: ) with a salad and a meatdish. Last year that was carbonades flamandes (beef stew), but it has also been with some fancy ham with sauce in the past. No idea what this year will bring. It's a local market trader, not one of the major event caterers which does make for a welcome change for me to be honest. The taxy way to the hangar had a stand selling baguettes last year. Those came with chicken-curry, tunasalad, cheese and ham if memory serves. That's what I survived on last year and I enjoyed it! There is also an artisanal icecream truck. It’s a typical "have lunch and come afterwards" event. Sunday afternoon, all civilian participants leave so that makes it very busy.

Otherwise, I can PM you some alternatives in the neighbourhood. There is a decent bakery on the road to the airfield for instance.

I should also point out there are plenty of picknick tables and benches so you can eat sitting down, also if you bring a packed lunch. About half of these are inside a hangar so you can shelter from the sun. Yes, I am an optimist.

EGL

Post by EGL »

Chrisse wrote:About half of these are inside a hangar so you can shelter from the sun. Yes, I am an optimist.

I'm going to hold you to this :biggrin:

Thanks for the info. I'm sure they can survive on fries - holiday treat!!!

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Added a new 4-ship Pitts formation that will perform some fly-by's, and the CAC Boomerang of our dear friend Remko Sijben.

lossiemouth

Post by lossiemouth »

Are the Pitts x 4 , a new team or just 4 joining up for the event?

Still yearn for the days of the Rothmans! :smile:

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

lossiemouth wrote:Are the Pitts x 4 , a new team or just 4 joining up for the event?

Still yearn for the days of the Rothmans! :smile:

For now just flypasts at one event. I know two of the pilots and they've done some limited aerobatics together at airshows already so never say never. Last year they did one pass together in a four-ship already at Ursel, so formalizing it is a good start :) I agree it would be great to see a fullfledged 4-ship on Pitts again!

lossiemouth

Post by lossiemouth »

Thanks for the reply, fingers crossed for the future :smile:

EGL

Post by EGL »

Chrisse wrote:Added a new 4-ship Pitts formation that will perform some fly-by's, and the CAC Boomerang of our dear friend Remko Sijben.

Boomerang's a great addition - will be a first for me :biggrin:

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Final RAF participation at Ursel Avia this year is a pair of Hawk T2s for the static, first-time visitors to Ursel. We are very grateful for the strong RAF support!

Bedsvulcan

Post by Bedsvulcan »

Looking forward to visiting while on holiday do you pay on the gate presume parking is available and do the flypasts of the various teams happen during the day or are they together at a certain time thanks

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Bedsvulcan wrote:Looking forward to visiting while on holiday do you pay on the gate presume parking is available and do the flypasts of the various teams happen during the day or are they together at a certain time thanks

You simply pay at the entrance, no pre-sale. Parking is on the concrete road to the entrance. (I hope the link to Google maps will work correctly) Map
If you look at the satellite image, the entrance is at the clubhouse of 'Vliegclub Ursel'. The road leading to the clubhouse from Urselseweg is used for parking.

The demos are grouped in the afternoon, with a gap left and right for incoming visiting aircraft. Saturday morning and early afternoon can be busy with arrivals, while Sunday afternoon after the demos is very busy with departures of all civilian participants.

Also if anyone is interested, this is the location of the B67 memorial, the path through the woods is lined with information panels about the wartime airfield, which was located there, on the opposite side of the road of the current airfield.

Bedsvulcan

Post by Bedsvulcan »

Thank for the reply looking forward to coming

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

A King Air, two tucanos and two Hawks? Thats better RAF support than RIAT :lol:
IG profile "jakesplanes"

EGL

Post by EGL »

Chrisse wrote:
Bedsvulcan wrote:Looking forward to visiting while on holiday do you pay on the gate presume parking is available and do the flypasts of the various teams happen during the day or are they together at a certain time thanks

You simply pay at the entrance, no pre-sale. Parking is on the concrete road to the entrance. (I hope the link to Google maps will work correctly) Map
If you look at the satellite image, the entrance is at the clubhouse of 'Vliegclub Ursel'. The road leading to the clubhouse from Urselseweg is used for parking.

The demos are grouped in the afternoon, with a gap left and right for incoming visiting aircraft. Saturday morning and early afternoon can be busy with arrivals, while Sunday afternoon after the demos is very busy with departures of all civilian participants.

Also if anyone is interested, this is the location of the B67 memorial, the path through the woods is lined with information panels about the wartime airfield, which was located there, on the opposite side of the road of the current airfield.

Thanks for all the updates and info, will try and get over to the memorial too.

Really looking forward to it - first aviation action of the year for me (my wife thinks I'm looking forward to this more than the rest of the 2 week family holiday!). This plus Legends on the way home - perfect timing!

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Added a Pilatus P3 and BAF Seaking :) Seaking will perform a SAR demo on Saturday and Sunday.

EGL

Post by EGL »

Chrisse wrote:Added a Pilatus P3 and BAF Seaking :) Seaking will perform a SAR demo on Saturday and Sunday.

Will be great to see a Sea King in action again :biggrin:

EGL

Post by EGL »

Spitfire display has also been added on Sunday :biggrin:

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/urselavia/photos/a.594762357290766.1073741828.594058997361102/1055427504557580/?type=3&theater[/fb-post]

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Exactly. The RNLAF Historic Flight comes from Gilze-Rijen. When the RAF Typhoons left Ursel, their next base was Gilze-Rijen, and now we keep a good relationship with our friends of the RNLAF Historic Flight there.

More exciting stuff to come! :smile: