RIAT 2017 (Discussion & Participation Thread)

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
G-CVIX

Re: RIAT 2017 (Discussion & Participation Thread)

Post by G-CVIX »

daveseth wrote:
CJS wrote:40 Hercules in a row!? Wow! That sounds...well actually slightly boring... ;-) :-D

it was a looooooooong walk...

In 81(?) They had AC-130 "First Lady" (the first production C-130) at the top of the line from what I've​ read. I wasn't born for another decade. :(

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

I really think the flying is missing that stand out item.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

What? The F-22 is easily one of the stand out items of any European Air Show so far, don't let the fact it came last year cloud that.

Couteau Delta UK debut.

C-27 is as good as anything.

We are spoiled with RIAT each year.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Airshowhammer wrote:I really think the flying is missing that stand out item.

Yep....we really need another stand-out display by the Scan Eagle or the 'Wings Of Blue' :biggrin:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

We are spoilt yes but I too think that we are missing that one item that takes it above and beyond. Either flying or static. That's not to say that everything we have is anything less than top quality, and the best you're likely to find in this country/Europe.

alpha586

Post by alpha586 »

G-CVIX wrote:
daveseth wrote:
CJS wrote:40 Hercules in a row!? Wow! That sounds...well actually slightly boring... ;-) :-D

it was a looooooooong walk...

In 81(?) They had AC-130 "First Lady" (the first production C-130) at the top of the line from what I've​ read. I wasn't born for another decade. :(

She was also present in '94 along with snoopy and as has been mentioned above lots lots more! It was great to see so many different hercs lined up and I can promise you it was far from 'boring'. There was a similar line up for sky tanker in 95 iirc with loads of kc135s. Unfortunately due to shrinking air forces and shrinking budgets these sorts of line ups seem to be confined to the history books forever.
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!

CJS

Post by CJS »

G-CVIX wrote:We are spoilt yes but I too think that we are missing that one item that takes it above and beyond. Either flying or static. That's not to say that everything we have is anything less than top quality, and the best you're likely to find in this country/Europe/the world.

Fixed that for you :up:

A return of the Eurocopter role demo perhaps? :tumbleweed:

I mean seriously, what would you suggest? The F-22 is arguably (by a lot of people) the best fast jet display on the planet, the RSV C-27 display is the best (semi)heavy display you will ever see, which other show has the A-400m flying display this year (Paris?), there are already (with months to go) static aircraft as rare as hen's teeth (F-4, B-1b, RAAF Wedgetail...). Heck, even the Thunderbirds, which do a pretty good job of dividing opinion, can hardly be called anything other than a 'stand out' item due to their rarity.

What, actually what, would be a stand out item for you (that's actually plausible) that would genuinely trump that lot?

With the possible exception of MAKS (but then consider what RIAT has that MAKS will never have), nothing I can think of comes close.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

CJS wrote:
G-CVIX wrote:We are spoilt yes but I too think that we are missing that one item that takes it above and beyond. Either flying or static. That's not to say that everything we have is anything less than top quality, and the best you're likely to find in this country/Europe/the world.

Fixed that for you :up:

I mean seriously, what would you suggest?

Not saying I agree that anything is missing; but the Ukrainian Su-27 display & Il-76 support is probably the item that is both somewhat achievable and would have most struggling to abide by the no swearing rule. Don't want to be presumptuous, but one would imagine DBH are/have looked into its possibility. (Awesome display, too!)

Or, perhaps, Romanian MiG-21?

Re. MAKS, they do get some western stuff. Iirc, in 2011 they had a heavy US contingent, including the F-15E display. But that was the good ol' days of relatively good relations around the world...

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

Or perhaps Croatian Mig-21's ?

CJS

Post by CJS »

The Ukrainian SU-27 perhaps Tommy, good thinking, especially given its support (but then lots of support aircraft get hidden away don't they? :-P ).

But the MiG-21 over the Raptor? Really?
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

snicker

Post by snicker »

Well at the current operators of Russian built hardware, I would imagine there would be half chance of one or more of the following:

Polish Mig29
Slovakian Mig29
Polish Su22
Ukranian Su27
Romanian Mig21
Croatian Mig21

However, I'm still happy with whats already been announced.

tu16

Post by tu16 »

This is all bordering on wish list.

Isn't the issue with the Ukrainians money? You need quite deep pockets - or have they changed their policy?

Astounded that, given the line up so far, anybody is saying it needs a stand out item.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

I didn't state that it was low on quality or anything.
Ukrainian Flanker/ Smokey Bandits/ Mig-21/ Pakistani Mirage III/ Dare i say it? The Sea Vixen. All could fit the bill perfectly.
Its just needs something that hasn't been seen in many years or something the public hasn't seen before.
Each year theres usually a stand out.
2006: Mig OVT
2007: Nighthawk
2008: Raptor debut
2009: Rafale debut
2010: Raptor european debut as not many got to see it in 2008.
2011: Static Su-27 & Il-76
2012: Black Eagles
2013: A380/ Static F1's
2014: Polish Su-22 Duo
2015: Ramex debut/ Japanese P-1
2016: F35 European debut.

Don't get me wrong i think the flying looks fantastic, just waiting for that 'sweet jesus' moment!

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Airshowhammer wrote:Its just needs something that hasn't been seen in many years or something the public hasn't seen before.

So something like The Thunderbirds? Or Midnight Hawks? Or Couteau Delta? Or M346? Or Belgian Sea King? Or ALCA pair? Or the Wedgetail, Phenom, T-6C, G120, B-52 and B-1 on static?
:whistle:

tu16

Post by tu16 »

You missed the Greek F4 Dean.... oh yeah, that was here last year, so totally dull......

mikek

Post by mikek »

yup. like a pair of Phantoms or a B1 :biggrin:
Handsomest UKAR member.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Airshowhammer wrote:I didn't state that it was low on quality or anything.
Ukrainian Flanker/ Smokey Bandits/ Mig-21/ Pakistani Mirage III/ Dare i say it? The Sea Vixen. All could fit the bill perfectly.
Its just needs something that hasn't been seen in many years or something the public hasn't seen before.
Each year theres usually a stand out.
2006: Mig OVT
2007: Nighthawk
2008: Raptor debut
2009: Rafale debut
2010: Raptor european debut as not many got to see it in 2008.
2011: Static Su-27 & Il-76
2012: Black Eagles
2013: A380/ Static F1's
2014: Polish Su-22 Duo
2015: Ramex debut/ Japanese P-1
2016: F35 European debut.

Don't get me wrong i think the flying looks fantastic, just waiting for that 'sweet jesus' moment!

2017 Corteau Delta debut

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

DeanW wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:Its just needs something that hasn't been seen in many years or something the public hasn't seen before.

So something like The Thunderbirds? Or Midnight Hawks? Or Couteau Delta? Or M346? Or Belgian Sea King? Or ALCA pair? Or the Wedgetail, Phenom, T-6C, G120, B-52 and B-1 on static? :whistle:

Well that said man! :clap:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

No one said it was dull. Nor did anyone say the static or flying is poor? :wall:
Couteau Delta has been said to use the same routine as Ramex and yes i'm really looking forward to it.
Not once did i mention the static display at all.
All I implied was the flying is missing that stand out item. And now somehow everyone has taken that as me taking a dig towards the show. :grin:
Its a great line up this year that could be topped by that one item that makes you look through the flying programme and keep your eye out not to miss. :roll:
Belgian Sea Kings, L159's & Midnight Hawks are great, but i wouldn't be devasted if i was to miss it. Why people are bringing up statics, only god knows.

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

It's all down to personal opinion as to 'the stand-out' display which is currently missing.

For me, I can think of several different types of airframes that I would love to see in the flying display which are currently not listed. But in probably everybody else's point of view, what I consider to be worthy, would be seen as dull, dull and dull. Yes, I am looking forward to the F22, Thunderbirds, A400M, the new French team (can't spell them right now without looking back lol) but I would love to see an AH1 Cobra in the flying display, or the Mil Mi 24 or any form of gunship (as opposed to just the Apache). However, what will be will be, and whatever is displayed I will have a darn good time enjoying watching it :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

Cole

Post by Cole »

How about we all just enjoy what we get.... :tongue:
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

ColeTheDemolisher wrote:How about we all just enjoy what we get.... :tongue:

Well thats a novel idea. :clap:

Can't believe folk are not satisfied with whats already announced. Christmas at yours must be a right barrel of laughs.. :tumbleweed: :facepalm:

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

ColeTheDemolisher wrote:How about we all just enjoy what we get.... :tongue:

This is a discussion forum and review site, if we all started happy-clapping and saying everything's fantastic if it's not, no shows would improve or understand what some of us feel should be changed.

That being said, I'm quite pleased with what's been confirmed confirmed for RIAT this year, there's some excellent variety in the flying, and several gems for me that I'd consider to be "stand outs".
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

No one said they wouldn't enjoy what we got. This is a discussion forum.

The endless chastising of others for sharing their views is really dragging this forum down.

chill51

Post by chill51 »

G-CVIX wrote:No one said they wouldn't enjoy what we got. This is a discussion forum.

The endless chastising of others for sharing their views is really dragging this forum down.

This happens every year and to be honest i find it all amusing. I for one am looking forward to the show as always what ever comes. I have not missed a show since its been at Fairford and always look forward to spending several days in a field in Gloucestershire it beats being at work :smile: Oh and im looking forward to the Italian Tornado demo :rock:
Mike

Uniden UBC 780 XLT
Winradio WR-G31DDC Excalibur
Drake R8A
Diamond D.777
Wellbrook ALA 1530L
AirNav