Duxford May Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 9~31May17*

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
Pen Pusher

Duxford May Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 9~31May17*

Post by Pen Pusher »

Decided to take advantage of the typical May Day Bank Holiday Monday weather, dark, cloudy, windy, cold and a spot of rain, with a visit to Duxford. Flying was a bit on the thin side with the Classic Wings Rapide on a flight over London, and the only GA visitor when I left early afternoon was a Piper PA-28 Cherokee which braved the weather, and Harvard/Taz went up for about 30 minutes to the north. An annual visitor has returned in the shape of Ice Cold Katy, the British Antarctic Survey Twin Otter/VP-FAZ. Not in the order taken.

Sony Alpha A6300 CSC & 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 G SSM lens + Sony Alpha A6000 CSC & Tamron 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 Di-III VC.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

IP1960

Re: Duxford May Bimble ~ 01May17

Post by IP1960 »

As usual some nice shots there Brian, and as ever, being 2 hours away from there, I am envious of your location :biggrin:

Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford May Bimble ~ *UPDATE 1~06May17*

Post by Pen Pusher »

With a breeze from the north east, runway 06 was being used and with Classic Wings going to be busy flying with their Tiger Moths, Rapide and Spitfire, I set up camp at the picnic tables outside the entrance to the Land Warfare Hall for an hour or three to get in some slow shutter speed panning practice. It was wall to wall cloud and naff lighting for photography but I had fun and need more practice. Photos in the order taken.

Sony Alpha A6300 CSC & 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 G SSM lens.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

wv383

Re: Duxford May Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 1~06May17*

Post by wv383 »

I like the first shot of the Tiger Moth racing the crow!
Simon

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

Successful practice! out of curiosity what shutter speeds did you use on those?

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

If you right click on the photo and then 'View Image EXIF Data' all the details are there but at 300mm the keep rate at 1/100th second was greater than the keep rate at 1/80th second.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

I like 'em all, Brian. Excellent results!
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

Nice! your hand is a lot steadier than mine!

Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford May Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 2~10May17*

Post by Pen Pusher »

Summer put in an early appearance this year with wall to wall blue sky, sunshine and quite warm with it. B-17 Sally-B had her first flight this year but on the second circuit a problem developed and crew training was cut short for the day. Spitfire/PV202 was also crew training again and there were quite a few visitors on the jet pan including Jet Provost T.Mk.52(MODIFIED)/G-PROV in South Arabian Air Force colours which dropped in just before I left. In the order taken.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford May Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 3~14May17*

Post by Pen Pusher »

An excellent day for photography with blue sky, sunshine and more importantly no haze. Classic Wings were very busy with Rapide, Tiger Moth, Harvard and Spitfire 'Fly In' and 'Fly With' flights. The Fury II parked in hangar 2 flew in on Saturday. Excuse the low level shots but the new crowd fence line goes all the way down to the ground so any snatched ground level shots are a thing of the past now so I was taking advantage of the few gaps that are still available before they are filled.

Sony Alpha A6000 CSC & 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 G SSM lens + Sony Alpha A6300 CSC & Tamron 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 Di-III VC.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Your first picture of the Mk1 Spitfire is fantastic. :clap:

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

The low level shots clearly worked a treat,and a timely catch I failed to spot the other day!

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

Another nice set, Brian. If you could please organise similar weather for FL, it would be greatly appreciated. :wink: :smile:

Pen Pusher wrote: .... Excuse the low level shots but the new crowd fence line goes all the way down to the ground so any snatched ground level shots are a thing of the past now so I was taking advantage of the few gaps that are still available before they are filled.

If your Sony has WiFi capability and you have a so-called smart 'phone then your problem is solved. A monopod with camera attached, held over the fence (upside down) and a Sony app on your 'phone with which you can control the camera and, hey presto, you're taking ground level images again.

I use a Canon app through my iPhone to control my Canon 6D when taking macro images of native terrestrial orchids. It gives me the capability to view the image on the 'phone rather than getting down and dirty to view through the viewfinder. All camera settings (shutter speed, aperture, ISO ... ) can be adjusted through the 'phone. I hope this helps.
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

George

I've been carrying a monopod with me for years, although I've downsized to a GoPro pod now. I'm all for the simple life so I don't use WiFi or smart phones. My a6000/a6300 both have tilt screens so I can see what I'm shooting and I use a camera shutter release cable.

The Mk.1 Spitfire was parked on the grass near the control tower on Sunday and the first shot was taken leaning over the fence with the camera held upside-down on the end of the GoPro pod and just touching the grass. The second was same set up but held right way up above my head. (Cliff Spink doing his prefilght checks). The Fury II shot above was taken from the end of the GoPro pod.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford May Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 4~18May17*

Post by Pen Pusher »

A sunny, warm day at Duxford but the clouds always seem to roll in just as there was any flying taking place. A busy day with Spitfire T9/NH341 headed off to Headcorn for the weekend. A nice line up outside ARCo of the Blenheim/Buchon/Spitfire T9 which were being used as a backdrop for a photoshoot. A Chipmunk pair were in for training and Harvard's 'Taz' & KF183, the ex Boscombe aircraft, flew out for an away day. TFC had their Gladiator out for and engine run, the Jungmann flew some aerobatics and TF-51D/'Miss Velma' flew off to the north for a while with a spot of aerial maneuvers on its return.

Sony Alpha A6300 CSC & Sigma 100-400m f5-6.3 DG OS HSM lens + Sigma MC-11 SA-E Mount/Sony Alpha A6000 CSC & Tamron 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 Di-III VC.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Ground shot of Miss Velma is a great composition, Brian. :up:

What's Frankie's status these days? Feels like an age since I've seen her in the air.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Frankie went flying at the start of the year and is still airworthy. Why it's not flying I don't know.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Is that a "new" T9 or just a repaint?

Andy

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

DfG on Facebook

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Thanks Brian.

Andy :smile:

Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford May Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 5~20May17*

Post by Pen Pusher »

Although there was a bit of blue sky and sunshine, I did end up wearing gloves as there was a bit of wind chill in the blustery breeze. Classic wings were active again with their Rapide and Tiger Moths and Spitfire/PV202 and Harvard Wacky Wabbit. Spitfire Mk Ia/P7308 was out for a 20 minute test flight. In the order taken.

Sony Alpha A6300 CSC & Sigma 100-400m f5-6.3 DG OS HSM lens + Sigma MC-11 SA-E Mount

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford May Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 6~21May17*

Post by Pen Pusher »

A nice warmish day at Duxford with a foretaste of what is to come, weather wise, for air show week although the clouds still have an uncanny knack to roll in when ever anything of note went flying. The Fighter Collection were out to play with their Gladiator, Spitfire Mk.V and P-40F all going up for an air test and a spot of aerobatics over the air field.

Sony Alpha A6300 CSC & Sigma 100-400m f5-6.3 DG OS HSM lens + Sigma MC-11 SA-E Mount.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford May Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 7~25May17*

Post by Pen Pusher »

A quiet day, flying wise, and a bit warm with it as well. The Bronco did three displays, getting lower each time and TFC's P-40C went up for a test flight for about 30 minutes. The Sea Vixen flew up from Yeovilton and did a couple of circuits so the pilot could get the lay of the land for his display at the weekend. Highlight was the arrival of the Osprey late afternoon and rumour has it that a Pavehawk and Apache will be joining the line up. Subject to the usual's.

Sony Alpha A6300 CSC & Sigma 100-400m f5-6.3 DG OS HSM lens + Sigma MC-11 SA-E Mount/Sony Alpha A6000 CSC & Tamron 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 Di-III VC.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford May Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 8~26May17*

Post by Pen Pusher »

Wall to wall blue sky and sunshine but a stiff breeze took the edge off the heat. A Yellow weather warning for rain has been issued by the Met office for Saturday afternoon into Sunday. A Royal Navy Wildcat helicopter dropped in for fuel and the Norseman arrived after it's cross country journey from Norway. Just before the museum opened this morning, the French display pilot called in wanting to do a few circuits to get the lay of the land and the display and spare aircraft set about making a lot of noise as they flew above the Cambridgeshire countryside.The spare aircraft returned at 1.30pm for a very high dynamic and noisy display. I left just after that with Sally-B and P-51/Miss Velma being fueled.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Beech18Boy

Re: Duxford May Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 8~26May17*

Post by Beech18Boy »

Did anyone get some photos of the Sharkmouth Flying after it's repairs?