Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Flare Path

Re: Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Post by Flare Path »

Shame there's been significant cancellations in the last few days - Corsair gone too. May have to consider the lengthy journey at this rate... :sad:

Tobyone1985

Post by Tobyone1985 »

Changing tact slightly, dose anyone know when the Merlin and Lynx Wildcat are due?

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

frank wrote:The provisional list is beginning to sound more like a "wish list". I don't normally get grumpy about drop outs but I am increasingly thinking Shuttleworth were naïve about posting such a list given as we are learning that a number of star participants are struggling to get their winter servicing out of the way.
I also feel naïve (my word of the week) about taking the provisional list as the basis of buying my tickets in advance.
Wont do that again with Shuttleworth.

Case of damned if they do or don't here. Can't sell advanced tickets if you don't know what is flying and can't help aircraft serviceability if you realise the list early.

Of the loss of the Sea Vixen is a massive blow, easily the star attraction for many.That of course can't be helped but losing the Corsair and the Skyradier as well is a blow.

Perhaps the list should be updated more often? Been mentioned on here that the Slyraider did not look like it would make it a long time ago and Cosford removed it from their flying list before Shuttleworth. Also seeing the Corsair at Duxford on the weekend, to the untrained eye, it certainly didn't look ready.

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

Shuttleworth's Gladiator has also fallen off the list....
My shots on Flickr and Airliners

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

I'd be fine with the list as it stands if some of the star warbirds were landing. As I've said many times before, it makes such a difference to my enjoyment of the show when these machines are available for a close viewing and you get to enjoy the takeoff/landing phase of flight too.

For some of them like the Catalina that's obviously not possible, but the Seafire could be on the ground at the show and I'm sure the Wildcat could be also. Sea Fury possibly?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

breadsticks

Post by breadsticks »

Hi all as many of you have noticed this years show
Is suffering a bit from participating aircraft withdrawing due to serviceability which we expect to attend. I understand the show was a big hit last year and has high expectations this year to better itself. However this year has been a bit different. Shows go through spells where they can be unklucky

A good example is Cosford Airshow, how unlucky Peter Reoch and the team have been previous years.

Please be patient with the team as they are all working very hard, to make the show as best as possible

3x Gazelle for the show 1x static 2x display
Last edited by breadsticks on Thu 01 Jun 2017, 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EGTH, EGTK SVAS

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

breadsticks wrote:Hi all as many of you have noticed this years show
Is suffering a bit from participating aircraft withdrawing due to serviceability which we expect to attend. We understand the show was a big hit last year and has high expectations this year to better itself. However this year has been a bit different. Shows go through spells where they can be unklucky, where it's out of our hands.

A good example is Cosford Airshow, how unlucky Peter Reoch and the team have been previous years.

Please be patient with the team as they are all working very hard, to make the show as best as possible

Update to the list 3x Gazelle for the show 1x static 2x display pair

I think the issue people have here is that a number of the star items were known to be in deep maintenance or hadn't flown for a very long time indeed - the Skyraider being one of them. As the show got nearer and these aeroplanes still hadn't flown, it seems a bit lastminute.com to only be confirming the cancellations now, when realistically it was clear they'd not make it, and work could have been done to draft in suitable replacements weeks ago.

Another worrying trend is for visiting aircraft not to be landing at the venue - one hopes Shuttleworth doesn't become a warbird version of Cosford. People want to see these aeroplanes close-up on the ground. It's clear that not all types can land at Old Warden, but those able to, should.

And if it's too late to source quality replacements for the no-shows now, chuck the money saved at the Pageants.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

As of about two weeks ago, other shows were still being assured that the Skyraider would be ready in time so I assume it's the same here.

Additional Gazelles are a start. Please keep us posted with any developments, as between the weather forecast and the depleted participation, I'm now thinking of giving this one a miss and holding out for better at the Pageant.

Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

are the gazelles actually doing a full display? since the gazelle squadron Facebook says they are doing a flypast. also does anyone know which wasp is the one still on the list, the terry martin wasp is gone but there is still one left.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Terry Martin's is G-KAXT, so as posted the last time you asked, it's most likely to be G-RIMM. They're both in the same place for maintenance though, and as as neither have been photographed outside the hangar yet, one assumes it's another potential cancellation.

breadsticks

Post by breadsticks »

Hi all,
gazelles due to do flypasts "correction"

Terry Martins wasp still in maintenance due to emergency landing, though still expecting G-RIMM

I have been informed Seafire and sea fury have requested spots on the flightline

However there is the possibility this could change
Last edited by breadsticks on Thu 01 Jun 2017, 10:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
EGTH, EGTK SVAS

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

breadsticks wrote:gazelles due to do a pairs display

Who told you that?

Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

breadsticks wrote:Hi all,
gazelles due to do a pairs display

Terry Martins wasp still in maintenance due to emergency landing, though we are still expecting G-RIMM

I have been informed Seafire and sea fury have now requested allocated spots on the flightline

However there is the possibility this could change

Excellent news that the seafire and fury will be landing. It'll be good to finally see them up close. Plus the BBC are no longer forecasting rain! now I'm getting excited...

breadsticks

Post by breadsticks »

Hampshire Aviation wrote:
breadsticks wrote:gazelles due to do a pairs display

Who told you that?

gazelles due to do flypasts "correction"
EGTH, EGTK SVAS

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

breadsticks wrote:I have been informed Seafire and sea fury have now requested allocated spots on the flightline

:clap: :clap: :clap:

N48284

Post by N48284 »

You say Gazelles? How many Ex Navy Gazelles are coming as this is a Navy show.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

N48284 wrote:You say Gazelles? How many Ex Navy Gazelles are coming as this is a Navy show.

Well at least one of the two usually used for the pairs display is Royal Navy schemed, portraying the RN Sharks display team
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Seamus wrote:Shuttleworth's Gladiator has also fallen off the list....

Most recent tweet from the Shuttleworth account says "Gloster Gladiator anticipated to be back on the programme for #flynavy"
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

Ah, excellent. I see the Merlin has arrived too :cool:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Despite the spate of cancellations, I'm very much looking forward to this show!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/shuttleworth_ow/status/870307182297985029[/tweet]

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

Absolutely. Expectations are naturally high after last year's epic show, but even with the loss of some key participants, that's still a cracking line up for any Shuttleworth show, and one I'm very much looking forward to :cool:

Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

i just had 2 AW wildcats over... first time ever since i live nowhere near yeovilton. heading to old warden? they looked great in the evening light!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Bearcat flew at Duxford today.

timuss

Post by timuss »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Bearcat flew at Duxford today.

:cool: :yahoo: :rock:
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Jumbo wrote:i just had 2 AW wildcats over... first time ever since i live nowhere near yeovilton. heading to old warden? they looked great in the evening light!

I saw one this morning over the New Forest heading east.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP