Buccaneer XN974 returns to life.

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
ianf

Buccaneer XN974 returns to life.

Post by ianf »

Buccaneer XN974 has lived at the Yorkshire Air Museum, since it's arrival on 19th August 1991. At the museum it has been kept in a fully taxable condition. two years ago it became apparent that a bit more in depth maintenance was needed. So she was removed from our running list. 974 is unique amongst Buccaneers because it was originally laid down as a S1 but became the first pre-production S2. So many features only exist on her, making spares very challenging!
Whilst she was being rebuilt the decision was made to return her to her original navy markings, below is a record of that change.

1. As she was delivered to us washed ready to be rubbed down.

2. In the hangar being rubbed down and prepped for paint.

4. This February with the servicing complete. It was time to do a anti deterioration run and general shake down run. By this time painting had begun.

5. We have no facilities to spray at the museum, so the aircraft is expertly painted by roller. The man who's turned this into a high skill, is Andre Tempest, Lindy's owner. Here painting round the expertly masked serials! ( I wonder who did them? :grin: )

6.The scheme also took weeks of research not only to get the scheme correct, but their size and location.

8. one of only 4 decals on the jet and one of the few Buccs that carried the RR sign.

9. The main badges are decals and represent the 2nd navel test squadron at Boscombe Down.

Fast forward to yesterday the 31st May. The aircraft complete a official unveiling ceremony was held at the museum. The aircraft was unveiled by Commodore Paul Sutermeister DL RN (RTD) and many Buccaneer veterans and people who had built them was on hand to see the jet unveiled and engines ran with a short taxi to demonstrate the functional s.

10. Andre gives her one last polish.

11. The cockpit.

12.Roll out.

13.Speeches.

14. The unveil.

16. A good crowd for a mid week.

17.crew in.

18. Engines was started,and the power runs conducted well away from the crowd.

19. Power was applied and the Bucc taxied to the crowd.

20. The aircraft then demonstrated it's Air brake, bomb bay, controls etc. In the back ground you can see our Harrier GR3. that is the next aircraft on our restoration schedule.

21. Wings retracted followed by shut down.

22.The aircraft was pushed back and put to bed for the day. Here are the 4 mainly responsible for the restoration and repaint. There was of course others who contributed in many ways.

If your wondering when you can see the bucc run again, your in luck on Sunday, which is 974's 53rd birthday. The museum holds a thunder day. All the live aircraft should be running. In August we also are running a rolling thunder day with all aircraft taking runs on the runway, something I am really looking forward too.
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

capercaillie

Re: Buccaneer XN974 returns to life.

Post by capercaillie »

Superb job :clap: :clap: :worship: :clap:

She spent a lot of time in those colours when flying development trials with the A&AEE as well. Great effort. Tempts me to make a trip up when you've next got a taxi-ing day. :up:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Russ

Post by Russ »

Splendid. :clap: :clap: :cool:

Kudos to the whole team. :up:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Awesome stuff!

Looking forward to seeing a similar thread Re. The Harrier!

As above, might have to look into visiting at some point.

ianf

Post by ianf »

Thanks for the comments guys, A thumbs up from caper on a scheme is high praise. To answer your question caper, the rolling thunder day is Sunday 27th August. We have much work to do before then including a partial repaint on Lindy. Just the undersides the upper will be next year. We still have a few aircraft needing repainting, but we are getting there and I personally think Andre has excelled this time.

ianf

Post by ianf »

Tommy I will do that for you. The Harrier is one of the aircraft I look after besides my main job on Lindy. I have already done some research on schemes. It won't be too different ie a wrap round scheme, but may or may not change Squadron. Difficult to say at the mo. Btw She was the 11th Harrier GR1 built before conversion to a 3.

Sundowner

Post by Sundowner »

Excellent work by all involved, thanks for sharing this with us.

jag636

Post by jag636 »

Very well done guys you should be proud and I would imagine you are :clap: :clap: :clap: simply divine
Member of Newark air museum and trustee/acquisitions officer just trying to save what we all love and thats history

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Fantastic. Easily one of the best looking jets ever designed. Great scheme for it aswell. :clap:

st24

Post by st24 »

Superb, a Boscombe test bird and a runner too. Looks like a trip oop north for me too! :clap:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Wyvernfan

Post by Wyvernfan »

Very very impressive guys, and what a refreshing colour scheme too. Well done to all involved! :clap:

Rob

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Once again Ian he has done shown that his meticulous detail work has bore fruit once again The finish is just sublime and a credit to him. you did a great job on the bits you did too. . All i remember is doing the undercarriage doors and going for a shower finding out my hair was green with dust. but worth doing. We are having a rolling thunder day in August if any of you want to see her going down the runway.
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Ian, well done to all involved. She looks stunning in the photos and I'm sure even better in the flesh.
Dan
JetAge Museum volunteer
Can be usually be found at Gloucester or Halfpenny Green.
twitter @danno978

ianf

Post by ianf »

On behalf of the guys and girls who put in the effort on the Bucc thanks for your appreciation. As Andy says Andre's work speaks for itself. Dan the pics don't really do her justice. I've added one from last weeks engineering run, if you haven't seen it in the other thread. even though this was low speed stuff, impressive is the word.

Dan I will see you at the swamp in a month's time, not long to go!