La Ferté Alais 2017

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
John_E

Re: La Ferté Alais 2017

Post by John_E »

The picture is improving as time goes on. My app is now giving a 55% chance of rain for Saturday but only 0.04 inches. We've been here since Monday and haven't see a drop of the forecast rain. Thanks for the heads-up re: fuel, tankbuster, will fill up first thing Friday morning.

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

petrol strikes expected to be called off today and resupply of petrol stations started this afternoon :biggrin:
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Mike

Post by Mike »

I'm really disappointed to find out that the Patrouille de France and the 777 aren't landing so that we can take close-up pictures of them on the ground.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Mike wrote:I'm really disappointed to find out that the Patrouille de France and the 777 aren't landing so that we can take close-up pictures of them on the ground.

If this is a wind-up then bravo! :grin: :clap:

It's a grass strip... seriously, I'd pay quite good money NOT to watch a 777 attempt to land on it... :dizzy: :joystick:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Mike

Post by Mike »

Well, I've just watched a C.160 land on it.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

It'll be a bit wet underfoot tomorrow. On the plus side, it's 2017 and I've seen a Hunter fly!
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

John_E

Post by John_E »

Well that was interesting. The show was cancelled with about an hour of the programme remaining due to torrential rain. Wettest I've ever been at an airshow. Hopefully tomorrow will go ahead, if it was in the U.K. I'd be expecting it to be called off due to the underfoot conditions. Fingers crossed it goes ahead.

John_E

Post by John_E »

Tomorrow going ahead according to the AJBS Facebook page. :)

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

Fantastic. Was great until the rain but that was some downpour. The Catalina would have been more at home. Sun forecast for tomorrow :).

st24

Post by st24 »

The Trannie seemed to be having fun... :joystick: :grin:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

The 777 flypast will hopefully happen tomorrow. Bring it on!
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

The Baron wrote:The 777 flypast will hopefully happen tomorrow. Bring it on!

Yes according to the shows FB page it's hopefully on tomorrow. I'm hoping they are going to do that then do the full routine.

Col. Chibani

Post by Col. Chibani »

No rain forecast for tomorrow.
However, if the runway is still soaked, the heavies (like the Skyraider) may not fly.
Finger crossed !

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

Col. Chibani wrote:No rain forecast for tomorrow.
However, if the runway is still soaked, the heavies (like the Skyraider) may not fly.
Finger crossed !

There was a shorter but heavier downpour Friday around 5pm (must be a bad time!) and the heavies (Junkers etc) were still getting up today so I expect the runway to have drained ok.

Col. Chibani

Post by Col. Chibani »

John_E wrote:Wettest I've ever been at an airshow.

Obviously, you were not present at Farnborough 2016 opening monday !

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

What a show! Loved it, despite the unfortunate ending. So great to see such a collection of machines that I've never witnessed before, with superb flying all round. I was blown away by the Tora! Tora! Tora! set piece - truly spectacular.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

An absolutely delightful airshow, and boy did we get lucky with the weather today!

The 777 flypast in formation with the Patrouille was outstanding. I also loved the Tora Tora Tora! routine, so well choreographed.

Only downside was the farcical wait to get in and then back out of the car parks, but that aside I loved my first visit to La Ferté, and would definitely come back.

Bravo à tous!
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

John_E

Post by John_E »

We left just before the Good Morning Vietnam set piece as we're getting the ferry back tonight. Watched the 777/PdeF fly past from the retail park, it was awesome to have the formation go right over our heads. Had a great two days at the show, spoilt slightly only by a lack of blue in the skies.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Wissam24 wrote:What a show! Loved it, despite the unfortunate ending. So great to see such a collection of machines that I've never witnessed before, with superb flying all round. I was blown away by the Tora! Tora! Tora! set piece - truly spectacular.

Unfortunate ending? I do hope you're talking about the weather!
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

John_E wrote: Wettest I've ever been at an airshow.

Even women don't say this, must have been bad!

What was the 'bad ending' ?
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

John_E

Post by John_E »

It was pretty grim. Guy next to me was trying to resuscitate his mobile phone on the Sunday morning because it'd been water damaged by the amount of rain. The team did a great job to get the site serviceable again for the Sunday. I assume the 'bad ending' is reference to the last hour of the show being cancelled on Saturday.

hmeasures

Post by hmeasures »

Had a most enjoyable time there once again, certainly one of the best shows around. Such an amazing variety, where else do you see the Pat French followed by Edwardians! The set pieces are stunning, Tora Tora Tora and Good Morning Vietnam were just brilliant. Shame we lost a bit of show on Saturday, but Sunday more than made up for it.

One thing to note was the bogs down the left hand/car park end were truly disgusting by Sunday.

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

John_E wrote:It was pretty grim. Guy next to me was trying to resuscitate his mobile phone on the Sunday morning because it'd been water damaged by the amount of rain.

That was probably Arthur. He was still drying out on Sunday morning.

hmeasures wrote:Had a most enjoyable time there once again, certainly one of the best shows around. Such an amazing variety, where else do you see the Pat French followed by Edwardians! The set pieces are stunning, Tora Tora Tora and Good Morning Vietnam were just brilliant. Shame we lost a bit of show on Saturday, but Sunday more than made up for it.

One thing to note was the bogs down the left hand/car park end were truly disgusting by Sunday.

Yes it was a fantastic show, despite the soaking on the Sunday. Would have liked the Sky Raiders and a few others to stay up a bit longer but there was so much to fit in.

Bog fact - Don't think there was any access to service the bogs down that end. If you went the other way there were about 15 portaloos behind the building directly behind the chalets which were quieter and regularly serviced.

hmeasures

Post by hmeasures »

Nwalch wrote:Yes it was a fantastic show, despite the soaking on the Sunday. Would have liked the Sky Raiders and a few others to stay up a bit longer but there was so much to fit in.

Bog fact - Don't think there was any access to service the bogs down that end. If you went the other way there were about 15 portaloos behind the building directly behind the chalets which were quieter and regularly serviced.

Agree on the Skyraider front, however the solo from the AJBS machine was quite something!!!

Used those bogs on the way out :lol:

John_E

Post by John_E »

My wife and son went into those bogs on the way out. She walked in followed by a retching sound and a quick exit. She waited until we could nip into McDonald's.