All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
AARDVARK

Re: Camping at RIAT 2017

Post by AARDVARK »

Is Rhymes closed again this year ??

CJS

Post by CJS »

I don't know, why not start your own thr...oh wait.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

trebleone
UKAR Supporter

Post by trebleone »

AARDVARK wrote:Is Rhymes closed again this year ??

Yes, is the short answer.

barnybullet

Post by barnybullet »

Just a quick question.
Always used to be a kempsford camper till missing a few years when the kids came along so now not on the previous years lists i dont manage to get on there.
Last year came down on my own and stayed at Townsend farm which was fine for me but this year I am coming down early then being joined by the wife and kids on friday. Even though this is close enough to walk in for me it will be too far for the kids so i will have to use the car to go into the airfield so instead I have been looking at Fairford Football club, this gives me easier access for the wife to get to me without one way systems and a few more options for food.

The Main question is can you see much of the flying display from there? mainly for the lazy sunday as we sit around and pack up before returning home. It seems to me like it might just be to far north to see much (but then the kids might be more scared at townsend with them being the very opposite and overhead!)

phantom6

Post by phantom6 »

Why not try Flyby just pop in flyby camping and see what you think

barnybullet

Post by barnybullet »

phantom6 wrote:Why not try Flyby just pop in flyby camping and see what you think

Flyby would not be much difference to Townsend, slightly closer but still too far for my youngest to walk all the way in (she is 5). There would be the same issue with aircraft overhead (i think they should be fine with that as long as they have there ear protection on).

The "Official" campsite would be spot on (just like the Old site used to be long ago) but i am not paying the inflated prices for the premium days and its an unknown on food and toilet conditions with it being a different operator again this year.

I may look at flyby instead of Townsend if Fairford football club is too far away to see anything as it seems a bit easier with the food trailers and bar but main concern would be previous reports of late night rowdiness and trouble.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

barnybullet wrote:
phantom6 wrote:Why not try Flyby just pop in flyby camping and see what you think

Flyby would not be much difference to Townsend, slightly closer but still too far for my youngest to walk all the way in (she is 5). There would be the same issue with aircraft overhead (i think they should be fine with that as long as they have there ear protection on).

The "Official" campsite would be spot on (just like the Old site used to be long ago) but i am not paying the inflated prices for the premium days and its an unknown on food and toilet conditions with it being a different operator again this year.

I may look at flyby instead of Townsend if Fairford football club is too far away to see anything as it seems a bit easier with the food trailers and bar but main concern would be previous reports of late night rowdiness and trouble.

Stayed at the Footie club for many years as and only came across one bunch that consisted of 3 families of ignorant tossers who where completely smashed on drink. They were told to leave the following day. Other than that it has been pretty good. It is a bit further to walk than Flyby though. I would not take the walk on with a 5 Y/O myself.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

mikek

Post by mikek »

take a pushchair but make the 5yo walk to the show.
... hopefully she will then be asleep all day & you can enjoy the show. :grin:

hth.
Handsomest UKAR member.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Georgeconna wrote:Stayed at the Footie club for many years as and only came across one bunch that consisted of 3 families of ignorant tossers who where completely smashed on drink. They were told to leave the following day.
The club itselve seems to have different ideas about this;
Please note!

Last year we had several instances of unreasonable behaviour which resulted in
persons being asked to leave. Any such behaviour this year will NOT be tolerated
and we will not hesitate to eject anyone found to be mis-behaving and causing
upset to other campers. We will be having regular Police patrols to help us control
the campsite and will have a night crew both Friday & Saturday.
from http://www.fairfordfccamping.co.uk/page3.htm
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

barnybullet

Post by barnybullet »

mikek wrote:take a pushchair but make the 5yo walk to the show.
... hopefully she will then be asleep all day & you can enjoy the show. :grin:

hth.

The 5yr old has not used a pushchair for 2 and a half years! and if we took one in case she got tired the 6yr old would fight her for it!! I will be walking myself on the thursday and friday but will take the car in with them on the saturday.

Spoke to the kids and they are happy to have the aircraft flying overhead (usually only steady stuff no acrobatics like over totterdown!)

Only final question now is does flyby have a bar?? i have seen it has food and coffee trailers but my cool box wont keep cans cold for 5 days and i need a cold beer supply!!

Irishaernut

Post by Irishaernut »

Hi I am coming over for my first riat from Ireland.
Meeting a friend and heading down Friday to camp going in Saturday.
I have emailed flyby camping but no reply.
Any other ideas , we have a jeep with a tent on the roof so we take up very little space .

RiatMarketing

Post by RiatMarketing »

Why don't you try our official campsite, only 5 minutes walk from the yellow entry point?

https://www.tangerinefields.co.uk/event ... attoo.html
Air Tattoo Marketing Team

Irishaernut

Post by Irishaernut »

Cheers I'll have a look,
Thanks
Steve

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Domvickery wrote:
Nowhere near, 5 showers & 6 portaloos to over 150 (estimated) campers, going to the toilet on Friday to find the portaloos already full & a big turd winking at you wasn't pleasant and they were not emptied at all over the week, add that to the no bar or entertainment facilities & a catering van that looked like it'd been carted over from the showground made for a somewhat disappointing stay.

Fingers crossed the new company running the site this year learn from last year.

After being too late for Kempsford & Totterdown and seeing that the campsite provider had changed I thought I'd give the official campsite another go.

What a night and day difference between the two years, this year saw proper toilet blocks as well as a few portaloos, triple the amount of showers, a charging point tent with hairdryers & straighteners, a huge tent with a bar & live music, two seperate food vendors selling decent food not just greasy burgers as well as full floodlighting illuminating the whole site, I was hugely impressed, the only criticism from me is that one of the shower blocks only seemed to have cold water first thing in the morning and the rule of not parking your car next to your tent is a silly one and needs to be done away with (most ignored it anyway.

I'd happily stay there again next year if the same company provided the facilities again.
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale