Thunder Day - Elvington 4 June 17

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
wallace

Thunder Day - Elvington 4 June 17

Post by wallace »

I took a "daftie" and traveled down to Elvington on the Beemer, not bad going with just over four hours in the saddle
Having been to an event last year with the engine runs I thought that I'd do it again, however and this is a personal opinion, I think it wasn't as good as last year. The variable crowd lines were a disorganised mess, as it wasn't that clear that there would be crowd line that far back and that it would move for different aircraft.

Great day, worth the trip but I don't think that I'd do it again.... However thanks to everyone for making it possible.
Kind of pleased with the wee X-Pro1 using the Astia film simulation. The images look over sharpened but the full sized Flickr versions are OK. (The camera and lenses fit nicely into the bikes panniers/tank bag.)

SE5 Replica, with a Wolseley engine.
ImageG-BKDT F943 , Elvington by Wallace Shackleton, on Flickr

The fire crew were very obvious doing good here turning over the engine before the start.
ImageKN353 Dakota , Elvington by Wallace Shackleton, on Flickr
A dainty cough.
Followed by a great big belch

Eastchurch Kitten replica, a small plane for such a tall pilot
ImageN540 Eastchurch Kitten , Elvington by Wallace Shackleton, on Flickr

I didn't envy the fire crew, with all the kit on in the sunshine, they done a great job keeping us safe.... that is one mother of a fire appliance by the way
ImageReversing the beast , Elvington by Wallace Shackleton, on Flickr

Nice to see and hear the Devon running.
ImageVP967 Devon , Elvington by Wallace Shackleton, on Flickr

This was a bit of a shambles. The hangar closed and emptied, crowd line pushed back but the grown-ups forgot about the area alongside the hangar. Mr Meteor didn't want to look after me so I got a long lens, well lit shot as it turned, which was better than the others got at the official crowd line. Nor did anyone check that the portable toilets were unoccupied in what was a "sterile area." One was occupied and the lady, who had trouble walking had to walk the long way around to get out. Minus points there.
ImageXN974 Buccaneer , Elvington by Wallace Shackleton, on Flickr
Matching the Victor
ImageXN974 Matching , Elvington by Wallace Shackleton, on Flickr

A bit of friendly rivalry going on here but did that tug have to be parked there. It wasn't needed until after the run was finished. Minus points for the crew member who tried to put the chocks onto the tug as it was moving. Not a cleaver idea being close to such big wheels.
ImageXV250 Friendly Rivalry , Elvington by Wallace Shackleton, on Flickr
The Nimrod was looking nice
ImageXV250 Nimrod , Elvington by Wallace Shackleton, on Flickr
Thumbs up all OK
ImageXV250 Nimrod and crew , Elvington by Wallace Shackleton, on Flickr
Health and safety is a game of "what ifs." What if he fell off the wing and over the jet exhaust? All's well, he didn't and he fixed what ever needed to be fixed and didn't get hurt.
ImageXV250 Nimrod and crew , Elvington by Wallace Shackleton, on Flickr
A bit of street photography to finish with
ImageXV250 Nimrod crew , Elvington by Wallace Shackleton, on Flickr

I didn't stay for the Victor but this was one that I took earlier.
ImageXL231 Victor , Elvington by Wallace Shackleton, on Flickr

Photography wise it's a hard job to show a jet engine running from a still photo, still the noise was nice.

Victor231

Re: Thunder Day - Elvington 4 June 17

Post by Victor231 »

Fortunately the person on top of the wing is a current RAF ex nimrod engineer, fully qualified to do what he is doing and completely safe up on the wing carrying out an essential maintenance task. But thank you for your health and safety advice....

wallace

Post by wallace »

It does not matter what his qualifications are, it is still a "what if moment..."

It wasn't advice it was an observation.

Victor231

Post by Victor231 »

Thank you for that. He wouldn't have been up there if he didn't need to be so despite the 'what ifs' it was an essential task. If we lived by the 'what ifs' nothing would ever get done no matter what walk of life we are from.

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

As the 'Mr Meteor' you refer to, I believe I recall you from Sunday Wallace. If I recall correctly, you were effectively asking me if you could take a short cut across the barriers, to the crowd line proper. This is against museum rules, ONLY museum personnel are allowed behind the barriers, Thunder Day or no. This is part of the museum H&S rules; as an apparent advocate of such things I expect you understand and accept this. By adhering to the museum H&S policy I believe I was in fact 'looking after' you. If you opted not to then walk round, that's your call.

The fact that the museum director was stood just the other side of the Harrier's nose meant that I had no leeway whatsoever to make a special case for you as well, had I been so inclined.

We all worked very hard to make the weekend a success. The feedback we have had has been overwhelmingly positive, and that makes giving up our whole weekend for the public to come and enjoy themselves worthwhile.
But you can't please all the people all the time I guess... :dunno:

Ps. The SE5 has a Rover V8 in it. The Wolseley badge is a nod to the powerplant in the original SE's...

Pps. The lady you talk of with limited mobility was cleared to go to the previously cleared portable toilet before the run by the museum director, on the understanding that she went the long way round once she was done.
Meteor WS788/ Chippy WK640 Restoration Project, YAM
Shack WR963, Coventry
Other types meddled with by request!

flashman8

Post by flashman8 »

wallace wrote:It does not matter what his qualifications are, it is still a "what if moment..."

It wasn't advice it was an observation.

The guys at Elvington are very professional in what they do, they would not do anything, that would put someone in harms way........... :heyhey:
Sony A700, A550, , Minolta 135, 500, Sigma 10-20, Sony 18-70, 50,70-300GSSM,Tamron 17-50,90mm

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Sorry you had such a bad time. As my colleagues have said we take Health and safety very seriously, we have to, barriers are there to stop you the public from injuring yourself. There isnt any What if Moments as we take risk assessment seriously too hence why we have a very efficient rescue services on every run.

Mr Meteor had better things to do that look after you.
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

XP282

Post by XP282 »

Wallace,

I like your victor shot.

I have to have ask, how many of these concerns did you point out / raise on the day? There is no problem with challenging things on health and safety grounds. Its is actively encouraged in aviation, however if you simply sat there with your camera ready to photograph the imminent disaster then shame on you. If they were genuine concerns then you should have raised them at the time - Perhaps you did, though I somehow suspect not!