French Air Force Open Days 2017

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
The Baron

French Air Force Open Days 2017

Post by The Baron »

The French appear to have announced their open days for 2017-
14th May - Bordeaux
1st/2nd July - Saint-Dizier.

Evreux, which was suggested as a potential appears to now not be happening.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

frank

Re: French Air Force Open Days 2017

Post by frank »

Can anyone with previous experience suggest which one they would go for ?

st24

Post by st24 »

St Diz. Sun behind, typically French layout with parallel taxiway and extensive ramp space. Merignac is part of the substantial Bordeaux airport so I do wonder how they'd run a full in show there... :confused:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

frank wrote:Can anyone with previous experience suggest which one they would go for ?

I can't help you with which is the better location, but I can tell you I'll be going to Saint-Dizier.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

henk99

Post by henk99 »

The Baron wrote:
frank wrote:Can anyone with previous experience suggest which one they would go for ?

I can't help you with which is the better location, but I can tell you I'll be going to Saint-Dizier.

Is there any more info about this one, besides the government website? I have been planning for St.-Dizier as well, but have found little or nothing about participants.
| Erlanger Bergkirchweih | RIAT 2023 | Belgian Airforce Days 2023 | Frysian Flag 2023

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Apart from Saint-Dizier being the rumoured first display by Couteau Delta info so far is sparse. Looking at the website ticket sales etc will go on sale on 2nd April. We may know more after that.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

st24

Post by st24 »

Bordeaux-Merignac has its list(s) up under "plateau". Some tasty bits and pieces including quite a few redundant airframes from the museum storage/re-furb facility there. Not sure about the Marauder (sexiest WW2 medium twin :love: ) though there is an Invader there - makes sense given their French usage.

I'm also assuming the M346 to be a Singapore example rather than Israeli! And the Crusader doesn't look anything like that!

http://fosa.fr/meetingdelair/meeting-de ... -merignac/

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

I dare assume the A109 will be a Belgian example rather than a Swede and having a Russian Mi-24 display also seems rather unlikely, so I reckon that will be a different origin too. Those exotic Mirages 2000s and 5 they published pictures of also look rather unlikely. It's almost as if they used the random pictures from Google images for each :grin:

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

I agree with you st24. Looks exciting on paper until you work-out there's so much crap on the site that it throws everything into question! One to avoid, unless you love the chase to get of 1 of 200 'spotter-places' :yahoo:
Outstanding!!

Col. Chibani

Post by Col. Chibani »

st24 wrote:St Diz. Sun behind, typically French layout with parallel taxiway and extensive ramp space. Merignac is part of the substantial Bordeaux airport so I do wonder how they'd run a full in show there... :confused:

According to the official website, due to the Mérignac international airport constraints, the dynamic display will last 1 to 2 hours only.
Hence the rather short dynamic "plateau" list.

Nielis

Post by Nielis »

Is there someone who can confirm or deny that there are no bags allowed onbase?

The reason for me asking is this picture:

http://fosa.fr/meetingdelair/meeting-de-saint-dizier/consignes-de-securite-ba113/

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Nielis wrote:Is there someone who can confirm or deny that there are no bags allowed onbase?

The reason for me asking is this picture:

http://fosa.fr/meetingdelair/meeting-de-saint-dizier/consignes-de-securite-ba113/

I've never had a problem taking my camera bag or a folding camp chair though. But to be on the safe side take as little as possible.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

henk99

Post by henk99 »

Is there anything known about the participants? My french is not the best and I have of course checked the website (http://fosa.fr/meetingdelair/meeting-de ... r/plateau/) and put some stuff through google translate.

I get the sense that a lot is invited, but is it known already what is actually confirmed?
| Erlanger Bergkirchweih | RIAT 2023 | Belgian Airforce Days 2023 | Frysian Flag 2023

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Looking at the list the only international participants invited but have not accepted are the Belgian F-16 and Austrian 105. I wouldn't expect the 2000-5 or Epsilon to fly but you never know! Just expect most of what's on the list to be there in some capacity and maybe one or two surprises and you won't be far wrong.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Well, the Epsilon and 2000-5 are listed among the confirmed flyers so you might get lucky. Then again, a webmaster is only human too and a copy/paste error is quickly made.
You should understand "invités" as "guests", not as "invitees".

benji1867

Post by benji1867 »

At Luxeuil in 2015 a pair of 2000-5's did a QRA intercept of an Epsilon.

Regards
Ben

aspotternot

Post by aspotternot »

For those of us lucky enough to be going to Saint Dizier their website has been updated over the past 24 hours or so. Confirmed now include RDAF F-16, Super Puma, Saab 105, MASA 2000 plus one or two smaller items. They are also posting the individual display times for each item. Let's just hope the weather 'plays ball' but not looking great at the moment!

sschofield

Post by sschofield »

Not a bad effort from the base at St. Diz, where I think that many of us that are going are mainly hoping to bag as many of the based Rafales as they can, with whatever else is on offer coming as a bonus! (That's as well as Geilenkirchen and Phalsbourg!)

st24

Post by st24 »

The desert 2kD is there but not the special tails... :sad: sent from seat 32F on Ryanair flight to Luxembourg for Geilenkirchen! :smile:

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

Seat 32F has some power! would it mind being consulted about 6 little numbers tomorrow evening?

st24

Post by st24 »

I was talking nonsense the Desert special and 2 special fins were at St diz today displaying in totally grotty wx! :rock:

Niallxg

Post by Niallxg »

st24 wrote:I was talking nonsense the Desert special and 2 special fins were at St diz today displaying in totally grotty wx! :rock:

Did they actually fly in the end? I gave up around 1300 and decided to head back to the car, dry out and head for Phalsbourg. Pity I was looking forward to seeing those Mirage 2000D fly.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Niallxg wrote:
st24 wrote:I was talking nonsense the Desert special and 2 special fins were at St diz today displaying in totally grotty wx! :rock:

Did they actually fly in the end? I gave up around 1300 and decided to head back to the car, dry out and head for Phalsbourg. Pity I was looking forward to seeing those Mirage 2000D fly.

The two special tails flew the display on Sunday. I don't know if they flew on Saturday.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

henk99

Post by henk99 »

Yes, the desert camo flew on Saturday near the end of the afternoon. The weather was absolutely terrible. Some nice fluffy images, may post them if they are good enough.

On sunday the desert camo stayed on the tarmac, and the spare flew (both special tails).