Monopod/head recommendation for airshows

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
Brevet Cable

Re: Monopod/head recommendation for airshows

Post by Brevet Cable »

May sound like a silly suggestion, but rather than a mono/tripod what about a 'pistol grip' ( such as : https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Action-Cameras-Accessories/Fantaseal-Ergonomic-Pistol-Style-Camcorder-Stabilizer-Panasonics-Versatile/B01FUEXLGU ) especially if mounted on the lens tripod mount rather than the camera body.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Whilst not a pistol grip as such, I've used an unextended monopod in a similar manner on a Canon 100-400 L & I did find it more stable than the traditional 'palm-up under the barrel' method.
아직도 숨어있다

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Others out there may remember the Zenit Photosniper system, which was to all intents a camera mounted on a rifle stock.
There are similar systems out these days which are primarily aimed at video camera uses ( which don't make your camera look like a firearm ! ) which serve the same purpose, bracing the camera against the chest or shoulder.

Before spending money on anything, though.....
Presumably your camera has a neck strap ?
Try wrapping this around your arm ( the one supporting the lens ) before taking photos, so that there's some tension on it when holding the camera to your eye.
It's a similar concept to what firearms shooters have been doing for donkeys years....it's a quick and easy ( and free ) method of providing an additional bracing point.
아직도 숨어있다

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

I don't think that a monopod is really suitable for flying displays, Ok for sports photography, football for instance where the action is all at ground level, but not where the camera has to be pointed at various levels. I used a shoulder support for many years, which helped to a certain extent, but now just hold the camera with one hand and support the lens with the other as most of us do, together with using an appropriate shutter speed.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Lighning Fan

Post by Lighning Fan »

AlexC wrote:I don't think that a monopod is really suitable for flying displays, Ok for sports photography, football for instance where the action is all at ground level, but not where the camera has to be pointed at various levels. I used a shoulder support for many years, which helped to a certain extent, but now just hold the camera with one hand and support the lens with the other as most of us do, together with using an appropriate shutter speed.

I agree. I tried a monopod a few years ago and whilst OK for ground shots, as soon as I used it for flight shots I ended up lifting the monopod from the floor which sort of defeats the object plus there's always the risk of clouting some unfortunate neighbouring spectator around the ear hole :whistle:

Black Mike

Post by Black Mike »

The VR in the 200-500 is very good but can't achieve the impossible. When shooting stationary subjects I find it very good indeed but failures during flying are mainly due to my poor panning/following technique. Plenty practice will help and be realistic with the shutter speeds. Don't forget on a DX body you are effectively shooting with a 300-750 lens.
When you are in the groove the results can be excellent.
I occasionally use a monopod when shooting taxying aircraft or wildlife but don't use any support with flying.