Military Pageant 2 July

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
TKK 140

Re: Military Pageant 2 July

Post by TKK 140 »

Mike wrote:
Canon wrote:As for the BBMF, why bother book them for anything other than flypasts? They can do flypasts well, but their displays are atrocious.

Firstly, you don't 'book' the BBMF, you request them and then get allocated something depending on routing and availability. Secondly, they were originally scheduled as a Spitfire/Hurricane/Lancaster combination, a display item well worth seeing, wouldn't you agree?. As it turned out, on the day they were only able to provide the solo Hurricane.

Would anyone prefer they did'nt attend? Not me.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Given a choice between watching a distant Hurricane's undersides, or being engaged by Stu Goldspink making the same type of aeroplane dance like a ballerina, then yes, I'd rather they stay away. At least until their full display is up to the same standard as other warbirds.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Here's a comparison. Both uncropped out of the camera. Both shot at 417mm focal length. Both are Hurricanes in roughly the same position to the viewer on the crowdline...

ImageBBMFtopside by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

ImageGoldspink by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

I expect the BBMF just have to be very careful when displaying and only come closer for special events.
Sooner or later the BBMF will be cut back, serviceability and funding, its only a matter of time.I suggest we need to enjoy them while we can however disappointing,at times, that might seem.

rob68

Post by rob68 »

Are we missing the point of the BBMF, they have been around for 60 years and politics aside should be in another 60. How many privately owned aircraft will be still be here in 10 years?

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

rob68 wrote:Are we missing the point of the BBMF, they have been around for 60 years and politics aside should be in another 60. How many privately owned aircraft will be still be here in 10 years?

What has that to do with how they are displayed? Simple, close top side passes like seen at pervious events at Shuttleworth, when they are booked for a flaypast only, show the aircraft off extreamly well.

TKK 140 wrote:I expect the BBMF just have to be very careful when displaying and only come closer for special events

They can fly perfectly close when performing flypasts at Shuttleworth as was seen at the Fly Navy event. I don't see how that display was more "special". I'd much rather Shuttleworth just book the BBMF for flypasts, they are perfectly capable then of flying close and take advantage of the location, when a full display is booked, like at the Military Pageant, they fly a display that doesn't take advantage of anything, the venue nor the aircraft.
Last edited by Ryan. on Tue 04 Jul 2017, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

Canon wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:Crowd seemed healthy again today, I got on site at 9:10 and was parked up near the back row of stalls. Question - what time to the gates *actually* open, as it's clear people are getting in a lot earlier than the advertised 9am!

They start letting people park up at about 8:30am.
I don't know when people start queing, but I arrived at about 7:30ish and ended up getting jumped by around 20 cars due to the ticket scanning not working in my row. Meant that I didn't get to my favourite spot :mad:
For the next show I will be aiming to get there well before 7

As for the BBMF, why bother book them for anything other than flypasts? They can do flypasts well, but their displays are atrocious. Can't help but feel that maybe instead of booking them, shuttleworth would have been better of booking another civillian owned hurricane (or 2) and had more than three in the sky together

I was in the same queue not far behind you! They certainly seem to be having problems with the technology.

The BBMF displays I wouldn't call atrocious, they just seem to love showing of the abilities of the aircraft rather than just showing the aircraft to the crowd which is what a lot of us like for aircraft like that.

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Ryan. wrote:
They can fly perfectly close when performing flypasts at Shuttleworth as was seen at the Fly Navy event. I don't see how that display was more "special". I'd much rather Shuttleworth just book the BBMF for flypasts, they are perfectly capable then of flying close and take advantage of the location, when a full display is booked, like at the Military Pageant, they fly a display that doesn't take advantage of anything, the venue nor the aircraft.

I'd agree as I saw the fly past at FN. Fly pasts with a little displaying then?

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

I've just noticed this in my own photos and see it is present in Dan's as well. Is the roundel on the port side of LF363 beginning to peel/strip off? The yellow looks patchy around the edge :question:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:ImageBBMFtopside by DanOUKAR, on Flickr
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Pringles wrote:I've just noticed this in my own photos and see it is present in Dan's as well. Is the roundel on the port side of LF363 beginning to peel/strip off? The yellow looks patchy around the edge :question:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:ImageBBMFtopside by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Maybe if it came closer we'd know...

Fake weathering?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Yes, it is peeling/chipped. I noticed it at the Fly Navy show last month. Tommy's shot in our review shows it well.

I really don't like what they've done to LF363 and P7350. If they must do the split liveries, I can live with that, but surely they can get a better match on both the finish and the camo patterns? They look so scruffy.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Yes, it is peeling/chipped. I noticed it at the Fly Navy show last month. Tommy's shot in our review shows it well.

I really don't like what they've done to LF363 and P7350. If they must do the split liveries, I can live with that, but surely they can get a better match on both the finish and the camo patterns? They look so scruffy.

Add to that TE311 still being in primer I'm surprised the BBMF seem to be losing their touch. I'd have expected it to have been painted by now.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Mike

Post by Mike »

The Baron wrote:Add to that TE311 still being in primer I'm surprised the BBMF seem to be losing their touch. I'd have expected it to have been painted by now.

The issue with TE311 is not entirely down to inefficiencies within BBMF as you seem to be suggesting.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Tbolt wrote:I was in the same queue not far behind you! They certainly seem to be having problems with the technology

They were still having minor problems with the technology when I arrived at around 9.00, although I wasn't held up for too long.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

"HITT Parade" - Guest writer Dan O'Hagan reviews the show for UK Airshow Review.

Image Image Image Image Image

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Great to read Dan still bashes off GB whenever possible.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program