Berlin Express Canopy shatters

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
TKK 140

Berlin Express Canopy shatters

Post by TKK 140 »

Diving in for the first pass P51B Berlin Express suffered a shattered canopy. In the previous shot there appears to be a crack in the left hand. Fortunately no one injured but a great shame for the pilot.

Alpha Delta 210

Re: Berlin Express Canopy shatters

Post by Alpha Delta 210 »

Great catch.

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Alpha Delta 210 wrote:Great catch.

Thanks, lucky catch here is the preceding and following shot to the one above.

crack on the right hand side visible.

Sundowner

Post by Sundowner »

All in a fraction of a second....well caught.

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

Are you sure you're not threatening the very future of airshows posting these?

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

DaveBr wrote:Are you sure you're not threatening the very future of airshows posting these?

Probably not.

Airspeed

Post by Airspeed »

DaveBr wrote:Are you sure you're not threatening the very future of airshows posting these?

No one was hurt. The aircraft landed safely. There is no suggestion the public were endangered. It was witnessed by thousands of spectators. It was photographed by a large number of people. It has been reported widely already on social media. How could the sharing of these particular images threaten the future of airshows? They are more likely to be of benefit in any analysis of the incident.

smokey

Post by smokey »

Airspeed wrote:

No one was hurt. The aircraft landed safely. There is no suggestion the public were endangered. It was witnessed by thousands of spectators. It was photographed by a large number of people. It has been reported widely already on social media. How could the sharing of these particular images threaten the future of airshows? They are more likely to be of benefit in any analysis of the incident.

It was sarcasm from DaveBr as Dano has been having his usual rant on the Legends thread. Hopefully his medication will kick in soon . Great shot BTW
Rich in Rutland

slinky

Post by slinky »

I don't think you are seeing a crack in your previous pic. The Malcolm Hood starts to bulge there and it looks like the reflection of the white stripe on the wing. If you put it into perspective, the crack would have to be over an inch wide if that's what it was....
Last edited by slinky on Sun 09 Jul 2017, 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

slinky

Post by slinky »

Your second pic is amazing.....Very good capture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

Nice capture. I think I was shooting a taxing aircraft at the time so never got the pass. Like a lot of people I got pictures of her taxing in and never noticed the canopy missing till I looked at my pictures!

Where are you seeing the crack? Obviously you have the larger images and we are only seeing a reduced size, but I can't see any crack in that shot.

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

smokey wrote:
Airspeed wrote:

It was sarcasm from DaveBr as Dano has been having his usual rant on the Legends thread. Hopefully his medication will kick in soon . Great shot BTW

To be fair, I've not seen any other news stories in the media other than this...

There was not a single story, or mention about it on any of the "News"paper websites that I have looked at this morning.

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

Well caught... shame, but it happens. Main thing is everyone is OK.... I guess if no canopy is found it's crated back to the USA....
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

Screechy

Post by Screechy »

I do have a shot of it, not very sharp however, that clearly shows that it didnt shatter immediately but became detached first and as it lifted into the airstream it then shattered. Looks like it detached along the right hand side, and with it still being attached on the left i guess the airstream got inside the canopy and twisted it beyond it's limits until it shattered.

Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

That's not a crack in the cockpit before. It's a Malcolm hood, so bubble canopy.
That's the reflection of the cockpit rail, distorted because of the bubble shape.

Still a shame though...

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

OK, however on static it appeared the LH side was scratched. A shame as you say.