Coach routes

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
soloturk

Coach routes

Post by soloturk »

Hello all,

Went by coach from Wiltshire last year, roads were wedged so we got in at about 10:30 if not a bit later.

Someone said they went the year before and practically sailed in but said the route last year seemed to be different which is probably why we got stuck in a jam.

Any idea if the coach route from Cirencester is the same as last year?

Any help appreciated!

CJS

Re: Coach routes

Post by CJS »

Do you mean an organised coach party? I don't recall ever seeing signs specific for coaches until much closer to the base than Cirencester. But having said that I don't recall ever being in the queue with a coach!

There ya go, really helpful information :-P ;-)
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

soloturk

Post by soloturk »

CJS wrote:Do you mean an organised coach party? I don't recall ever seeing signs specific for coaches until much closer to the base than Cirencester. But having said that I don't recall ever being in the queue with a coach!

There ya go, really helpful information :-P ;-)

Yes its a day trip organised by a local coach company I work for. I think last time we took a blue route but might have been brown, struggling to remember. We had to follow a massive queue of cars before getting onto a designated coach route.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

I think that is the problem with that kind of trips, their public doesn't like to leave too early. so they arrive when the traffic has had all opportunities to create the chaos it will always become. Better use a trip organised for enthusiasts, they know when they need to leave to arrive at a reasonable time (and their public accepts that early hour, or may even demand it).
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Zarniwoop

Post by Zarniwoop »

There is a Coach trip from here (Colchester) but they are not picking up untill 06:30 and as I had already bought my tickets I have elected to drive leaving about 5ish.
I don't think the company has run a coach trip to RIAT before but 06:30 seems a bit late to me,I hope it goes OK for them though as next year I would like to go by coach as the drive home does me in!!

westhamfan84

Post by westhamfan84 »

I am going by coach next Sunday. We are leaving Dudley in the West Midlands at 6.45am I have a scary feeling going to miss the start.
Planned Shows for 2022 - Midlands air festival, Cosford, Weston, Southport, Riat, Blackpool, Bournemouth

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

Coming up from Worthing on Saturday by coach,pick up near Shoreham at 0620 not much chance of seeing the start but did not fancy the drive each way.I see the flying ends at 1800 so will be interesting what time we get out

John in Seaford.

soloturk

Post by soloturk »

We might not be the last ones to arrive then!

Last time our driver found the display schedule so decided to let us stay until the display had finished then wander back to the coach, but that's not really a problem as it isn't that far home. I seem to recall some other coaches that were from further away places had already left before it all finished.

Avoidromefriend - You have a point, however.one of our day trips to Guernsey was a 4am start and people managed to get up for it and it was sold out.

Will see how it goes this year and have a word with the boss if it's possible to change it, I would have asked before but I only remembered after the timings were done

westhamfan84

Post by westhamfan84 »

Coach companies I have used in the past I have missed the first hour and the last hour so they could leave and miss the traffic missed the French team 2 years ago and the Freece last year.
Planned Shows for 2022 - Midlands air festival, Cosford, Weston, Southport, Riat, Blackpool, Bournemouth

westhamfan84

Post by westhamfan84 »

Coach companies I have used in the past I have missed the first hour and the last hour so they could leave and miss the traffic missed the French team 2 years ago and the Freece last year.

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

Coach from Worthng Saturday,came in on the blue route took 30 mins from main road through the country lanes,did not help with shuttle buses coming the other way,always thought these routes were one way,even traffic lights for road works not the best of planning.
Number of coaches arriving meant long ques to go through security onto airfield at 1100 luckily the weather meant did not miss much and saw a bit of the Tornado display from the coach in the traffic jam.
Coach left at 1800 timed well to see the Flanker from the coach park and exit was no problem.

John in Seaford

soloturk

Post by soloturk »

Yes got through security at 1100 myself as well, saw the Tornado from inside the coach, didn't look that photograph-able at the time anyway.

We left at 1830, so we got to see the end, which was good, I saw a few coaches going off when the Flanker was departing, bet some people were miffed!!