Flying Legends 2017

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Pringles

Re: Flying Legends 2017

Post by Pringles »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Wasn't the French Spitfire that flipped over Jacquard's? Might explain his absence.

It was, however when the Spitfire was removed the Sea Fury remained on the website and in the programme, and I believe there was some promotional push on the FL social media platforms including the Sea Fury in the line-up
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Sundowner

Post by Sundowner »

Wasn't it DanO that said something about the Sea Vixen a couple of weeks ago, something about the time being right to drag it into the museum , well, maybe the time is right for all these old warbirds to be confined to the museum, aircraft that fly by the laws of gravity will always return to earth just not always when and where they should..... :whistle:

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

DirtyFokker

Post by DirtyFokker »

Pen Pusher wrote:Image
Brian

I don't think we'll be seeing her in the air for a long time :sad:

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

Pen Pusher wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:On the face of it, Cosford closed 18 roads I think it was, Shuttleworth have to close a country lane, and yet Duxford continues above a motorway. I don't see the logic. .

The rules are that there are no aerobatic manoeuvres performed over the M11, which was why the Red Arrows datum was moved and on an angle, or during a display the aircraft must be above 500ft when they cross the M11. As they are not aerobatic manoeuvres, take off's and landings over the M11 are permitted. If traffic is stationary on the M11/A505, due to a road traffic accident near Duxford airfield, then display flying stops or datum moved further west depending on the severity of the accident.

Brian

I'm not disputing the above, but why did they display along the normal axis at Duxford only last September ?............have some new regs come into place since then ?
If this display axis is going to be the norm from now on, it's looking like the School or the Pet Crematorium is the best place to see the synchro pair now.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Love the bloke in the hi viz scratching his head and thinking "Do we cut the already damaged wing tip off or cut down the councils traffic light?" :grin:

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

speedbird2639 wrote:Love the bloke in the hi viz scratching his head and thinking "Do we cut the already damaged wing tip off or cut down the councils traffic light?" :grin:

He's nothing to do with the recovery he's just wondering how long its going to be before he can get across the road :lol:

stuart n

Post by stuart n »

Did they hit the lights or stop just short when they realised it wasn't going to get through the gap :question:

timuss

Post by timuss »

Quite remarkable really externally the damage isn't as bad as it could have been. I've seen a picture on facebook of her on her landing gear outside one of the hangar's, obviously its bad but im sure we'll see her again in time.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

ted633

Post by ted633 »

Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote: If traffic is stationary on the M11/A505, due to a road traffic accident near Duxford airfield, then display flying stops or datum moved further west depending on the severity of the accident.

Brian

Interesting distinction?

So, the (hopefully remote) possibility of an aircraft crashing into stationary traffic has been judged an unacceptable risk. However hitting a busy motorway moving at say 60mph with the remaining traffic piling into the wreckage is OK?

Very difficult to know where you draw the line really.

I think it's more to do with not disturbing any emergency services with aircraft noise while they are dealing with an accident. They was queueing traffic on the southbound M11 on Sunday (not due to an accident), with no change to the display

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Looks to have been a lovely gentle put down all things considered, dread to think how it would have turned out had the gear dug in, great skill and a sprinkling of luck I suppose :smile:

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

timuss wrote:Quite remarkable really externally the damage isn't as bad as it could have been. I've seen a picture on facebook of her on her landing gear outside one of the hangar's, obviously its bad but I'm sure we'll see her again in time.

On her gear? Got a link to the picture? I'd have imagined the dangling unlocked gear would have been mangled and torn off in the crash landing.

Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:
Interesting distinction?

So, the (hopefully remote) possibility of an aircraft crashing into stationary traffic has been judged an unacceptable risk. However hitting a busy motorway moving at say 60mph with the remaining traffic piling into the wreckage is OK?

Very difficult to know where you draw the line really.

When the traffic is stationary the cars are much closer together and therefore if an aircraft goes down on the M11 then it will hit more cars, whereas modern cars can stop in a very short distance and people are much less likely to die in a collision in which the car in front decelerates suddenly than if an aircraft hits them. Modern cars are very well designed to maximise chances of survival in a collision with another car with seat belts and crumple zones etc but they won't help much against a plane as seen tragically at Shoreham. Besides, traffic stop suddenly when cars crash into each other without causing huge pileups and devastation!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
timuss wrote:Quite remarkable really externally the damage isn't as bad as it could have been. I've seen a picture on facebook of her on her landing gear outside one of the hangar's, obviously its bad but I'm sure we'll see her again in time.

On her gear? Got a link to the picture? I'd have imagined the dangling unlocked gear would have been mangled and torn off in the crash landing.

Images on the Key Pub forum. Looks in remarkably good condition, all things considered.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Just seen the picture, she was indeed back on her gear today. Looks like this was one of the most remarkable "saves" in recent warbird history.

Not exactly a happy ending, but could have been infinitely worse.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:You do have to wonder about the viability of Duxford as a venue. I said after Shoreham that surely it couldn't continue, and I know that North Weald abandoned their plans to host a proper airshow again in the immediate aftermath because of the M11.

I really don't know what the answer is here. The CAA's reaction has rather painted themselves and the industry into a corner and there's very little room for manoeuvre.

I don't really see what the difference is here between Duxford and North Weald. Both operate vintage aircraft that could, like any aircraft, be involved in a mechanical incident near to a very major road. If you are to shut down operations at Duxford then surely North Weald would have to follow suit, or indeed any airfield that operates a significant number of vintage aircraft. Of course more aircraft movements occur when an airshow is hosted at Duxford but that doesn't necessarily mean the likelihood of anything happening will increase, it's just as likely to happen at any other airfield.

I think therefore the answer has mostly already presented itself. It's about training and planning for a situation like this, that means even if you have very little height and airspeed, the pilot is still trained to know how to make sure the aircraft ends up as far away from spectators and public alike.

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Fri 17 Aug 2018, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

davidjones533 wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:

Just curious as to why the gear would not be locked. They looked fully down to me from when I noticed her break off the main formation while still south of Duxford.

The gear was up until the final moments of the aborted short final, the gear appeared to be blown down by the emergency gas system as they came out with some Force.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Given it all ended well, is it OK to name the pilot who deserves so much credit or not (cool if not)

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

UKTopgun wrote:Given it all ended well, is it OK to name the pilot who deserves so much credit or not (cool if not)

I'd like to know who it was, they deserve a lot of praise.

As for the gear, I understand after blowing them down, the realisation it wouldn't make the airport led to a decision to retract to avoid the risk of flipping over. There wasn't time to fully raise the gear, hence they collapsed, probably saving the airframe and the pilot's life. One of several split-second decisions he appears to have nailed.

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Fri 17 Aug 2018, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andover

Post by Andover »

Great show, my first time at Legends (albeit very hot on Sturday.) However, regarding aircraft distances, the trouble with this show - and I'm assuming the display axis is flown down the main runway - is that you have the grass runway AND the flightline aircraft, which pulls the crowdline back along way from the display axis. Much as I like the flying participants close to the crowd, it would be handy if it could be moved up to one side a bit, to allow part of the crowdline to be pushed out a bit, and to enable a better view of take offs/landings.

My favourite was the gleaming solo Dakota. Anyone know what happened to the third Dakota that was due to appear?

timuss

Post by timuss »

Andover wrote:Great show, my first time at Legends (albeit very hot on Sturday.) However, regarding aircraft distances, the trouble with this show - and I'm assuming the display axis is flown down the main runway - is that you have the grass runway AND the flightline aircraft, which pulls the crowdline back along way from the display axis. Much as I like the flying participants close to the crowd, it would be handy if it could be moved up to one side a bit, to allow part of the crowdline to be pushed out a bit, and to enable a better view of take offs/landings.

My favourite was the gleaming solo Dakota. Anyone know what happened to the third Dakota that was due to appear?

A blown engine stuck en route there was a post on the Dakota's over Normandy facebook page.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

Mike

Post by Mike »

Andover wrote:...regarding aircraft distances, the trouble with this show - and I'm assuming the display axis is flown down the main runway - is that you have the grass runway AND the flightline aircraft, which pulls the crowdline back along way from the display axis. Much as I like the flying participants close to the crowd, it would be handy if it could be moved up to one side a bit, to allow part of the crowdline to be pushed out a bit, and to enable a better view of take offs/landings.

The display axis is a fixed number of meters from the crowdline. The grass runway and flightline have nothing to do with "pulling the crowdline back", whatever that means.

xr221

Post by xr221 »

Film of the Miss Velma flight here - it does not include the wheels up landing, just the final turns and glide - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LdrY79g99Q

Steve.