Riat Tat

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
John_E

Re: RIAT Tat

Post by John_E »

Some of the prices were eye-watering, the U-2 guys were charging £20 for a pint glass. The LN Eagle guys had a discusssion about the pricing of baseball caps. One asked the other how much they were, he went off and checked a price list and came back with "£10". The other replied; "£10?!? For one?!? No waaay dude".

At the Rafale Solo Display stand they were selling some plastic beakers for £5 each. I bought one last month at La Ferté Alais for €1.

Picked up a set of pint glasses from the Pave Hawk guys, some bartering got me £5 off. Also got a Couteau Delta t-shirt for £15 and a Canadian Chinook t-shirt for my son for £5.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Blackbird wrote:The Ukrainians wanted £20 for a baseball cap. "What for just one?" I replied abdvwsljed off giving him a withering look!

Andy

I bought one :king:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I bought one too hehe

As an example of just how late the cancellation of the A-4 was, yesterday afternoon (and possibly today) you will find the ground crew that had been sent over prior set up a stall adjacent to the German Typhoons selling patches!

They were just as gutted as us saying they had even prepared a spare airframe in case the chosen one went tech! :-(

BDL

Post by BDL »

In the RAF village the F35 guys have a nice couple of pin badges for free.

Apparently the Ukrainian guys were set up behind the Il-76 though I didn't see them, there definitely is some tat from them as people in the stand are wearing Ukrainian caps.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

The Ukrainians had a Gazeebo and a smaller display by the il76

They were being mobbed.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Airshowhammer wrote:

Now thinking that perhaps I've made a mistake :oops:

Andy

mikek

Post by mikek »

Airshowhammer wrote:
Blackbird wrote:The Ukrainians wanted £20 for a baseball cap. "What for just one?" I replied abdvwsljed off giving him a withering look!

Andy

were you wearing it in the Aviation Club by any chance??
Handsomest UKAR member.

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Out of interest, where do tat profits go. I assume that they have squadron charities.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

B-2 patches and coins £10 at the B-1.

British exchange pilot there to chat to as well.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

I would imagine in the air crews pockets as a perk of the job I would guess.

Sounds like I'm the only person who has been going to air shows for nearly 30 years and has yet yo buy any tatt of an aircrew.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

mikek wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:

Andy

were you wearing it in the Aviation Club by any chance??

No i dont think so, but i have raided the Ukrainians stool! :grin:
Me and my nephew are both rocking the Ukrainian hats!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Airshowhammer wrote: i have raided the Ukrainians stool! :grin:

Gross. :sick:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

keety

Post by keety »

BDL wrote:In the RAF village the F35 guys have a nice couple of pin badges for free.

Apparently the Ukrainian guys were set up behind the Il-76 though I didn't see them, there definitely is some tat from them as people in the stand are wearing Ukrainian caps.

One of the F-15 pilots was walking round with one on his bonce as well!

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

B2 Spirit patch and coin just bought near the B1 thanks for the heads up Andy!!

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Can't believe the Midnight Hawks were giving patches and remove before flight tags away in FRIAT  :shock:  well done for them not charging silly prices. Didnt want a donation either, would quite happily of paid
Gary

HMS Seahawk

Post by HMS Seahawk »

U-2 t-shirts down to £20 today and selling well! On Friday the USAF special op's C-130J crew were selling "old design" polo shirts albeit in a limited number of sizes for just £1.
Last edited by HMS Seahawk on Sun 16 Jul 2017, 8:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

HMS Seahawk

Post by HMS Seahawk »

tankbuster wrote:Out of interest, where do tat profits go. I assume that they have squadron charities.

Beer money?

BDL

Post by BDL »

Has to be said I have amassed mor tat than usual. How the hell the Mrs isn't going to notice the new T-shirt collection! I think I've overdone it a bit.

Ian2211

Post by Ian2211 »

BDL wrote:Has to be said I have amassed mor tat than usual. How the hell the Mrs isn't going to notice the new T-shirt collection! I think I've overdone it a bit.

Have to laugh, I have done exactly the same. Got a bag full of t-shirts. Don't think the Mrs was too impressed

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

The LN Eagle guys had a discusssion about the pricing of baseball caps. One asked the other how much they were, he went off and checked a price list and came back with "£10". The other replied; "£10?!? For one?!? No waaay dude".

Silverstone F1 caps are currently in the 'sale' at £20 so £10 seems very reasonable.

On a related note they are bitching on the Silverstone F1 page on FaceAche that the prices for 2018 have gone up 25% (edit gone up 50% in some cases) - two adult tickets for race day £760! Think about that before you moan at an 8 hr flying display being £50.

JJC

Post by JJC »

Got a Ukrainian IL-76 patch at the back end of yesterday, along with a couple of Dutch, Belgian, Czech ALCA and RSV bits and pieces.

Prices on the whole seemed a bit steep this year.... :tumbleweed:
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

iaint
UKAR Staff

Post by iaint »

Not so sure on the prices being steep this year, some places maybe *cough* U-2 *cough*, but many bargains to be had around the crews... I was particularly pleased to pick up a CH-147 coin for £5, a 736NAS Coin for £5, 100Sqn (glow in the dark coin), yep also £5!
The Alphajet coin was £5 cheaper this year than last, and I heard that the B-2 merchandise was much cheaper than the 2012 visit!!

My modest haul from Saturday came in the form of an Alphajet coin and patch, the three coins I already mentioned above, a 480th FS coin, RAF Lakenheath coin, 7SOS Osprey coin and a 67th SOS bottle-opener coin. Also a couple of French Pin badges (£3ea), for EC0.003 and a Mirage 2000D and I visited Squadron Prints for some RBF-tag Keyfobs.

Was a bit gutted to miss out on the U-2 coins/patches and Wedgetal coin, even first thing on Saturday morning being told they were sold out. Maybe a warning to the crews telling them to pack even more goodies to bring, or to hold a bit back each day to allow more people a fair crack at purchasing bits across the full weekend, especially selling out on the Friday before the majority of punters will appear.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainthomson84/

End of Message, End of Broadcast

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Pardon the ignorance of the unitiated...but what do you do with the coins?

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Keep them in a box in the loft I presume, after having photographed and catalogued them of course!

nickosbad

Post by nickosbad »

borismorris wrote:Pardon the ignorance of the unitiated...but what do you do with the coins?

I managed to pick up a F-22 demo coin on the Saturday and used it on Sunday as a Golf Ball Marker

Really wanted one of the B-52 ones but they were too big!