Thunderbirds opinions

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Brevet Cable

Re: Thunderbirds opinions

Post by Brevet Cable »

Blackbird wrote: And why the big palava over whether they would or wouldn't display. What a waste of about 20 mins.

Andy.

Presume you mean on the Saturday ?
Cloud-base was initially below the minimum required ( alternating around 1000-1200ft when the minimum was 1500ft )...they could have cancelled straight off - which would have meant there'd have been nothing flying instead of them - but they opted to wait then send a weather ship up to check the actual cloud-base. So not really a waste of 20 minutes.

As for their display....As I posted elsewhere, I was underwhelmed by it 10 years ago & nothing's changed.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

pb643

Post by pb643 »

tankbuster81 wrote:Bring back the Black Eagles, now that was a team and a half!!

I did notice an Asian gent wearing a Black Eagles flying suit on Saturday, his shoulder badge identified him as number 7 in the formation. Possibly an indication of a return visit?

CJS

Post by CJS »

pb643 wrote:
tankbuster81 wrote:Bring back the Black Eagles, now that was a team and a half!!

I did notice an Asian gent wearing a Black Eagles flying suit on Saturday, his shoulder badge identified him as number 7 in the formation. Possibly an indication of a return visit?

I saw quite a lot of people wearing Red Arrows flying suits, I'm not sure all of them were strictly legit. :shock:

The Thunderbirds? I liked them more than I think I was hoping to, they do what they do very well: tight formations, nice fast passes in between - I like the way the second jet would scream past after what you assumed was the display pass had already happened, caught me out a couple of times. Overall though they don't live up to the hype IMHO. Good? yes. A highlight? Probably due to the occasion and their rarity. But award worthy? No, I don't think so (although I imagine they'll get one anyway). Both the Swiss and the RAFAT were superior I thought - we take the RAFAT for granted but boy would we miss them if they weren't there.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

mikek

Post by mikek »

CJS wrote:
pb643 wrote:

I saw quite a lot of people wearing Red Arrows flying suits, I'm not sure all of them were strictly legit.
:shock:

The Thunderbirds? I liked them more than I think I was hoping to, they do what they do very well: tight formations, nice fast passes in between - I like the way the second jet would scream past after what you assumed was the display pass had already happened, caught me out a couple of times. Overall though they don't live up to the hype IMHO. Good? yes. A highlight? Probably due to the occasion and their rarity. But award worthy? No, I don't think so (although I imagine they'll get one anyway). Both the Swiss and the RAFAT were superior I thought - we take the RAFAT for granted but boy would we miss them if they weren't there.

some of them did look very young to be Red Arrows. :shock:
Handsomest UKAR member.

melodrama

Post by melodrama »

I enjoyed their display. As a lot of people have said, they are not choreographed in the same way as the Reds, Freece or Patrouille but perform a series of set-pieces with some very spectacular moments. I thought the Reds were outstanding in the low cloud of Saturday and I have to say I prefer that type of display but the T'birds were different. Comparable and as enjoyable as Patrouille Suisse for me, which is high praise (in my view) – the colour schemes of both those teams probably work better against blue skies, whereas the Reds look great with a cloudy backdrop.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Something we have to remember about the Tbirds is that they are tailored to suit the American fan base, which I suspect is quite different from here. I won't say that they were spectacular but enjoyable non the less.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

yannyfoxx

Post by yannyfoxx »

I was thoroughly entertained by the Thunderbirds on Sunday. I like the fact that you're always looking around for them and quite often get buzzed when you least expect it. They look and sound great too. Having said that, the Reds were easily the best display team on the day. The Swiss were also great but I was left a bit cold by the Finnish team unfortunately.

GazBOH

Post by GazBOH »

A first time seeing them for me, and thoughly enjoyed the display. Lots of close formations and some high energy passes in attractive looking F-16s ... a winner for me

Steve p

Post by Steve p »

Thought the tbirds was pretty good and fun to watch, not a patch on the reds but most of us brits would say that. Always get the usual US we are the best hype from them but the yanks are like that whatever they display.
Liked the little "its showtime" dig the reds commentator did at the start of there display yesterday. :lol:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

They did that on Friday...but then, the T-birds took the mick out of RAFAT as well.
아직도 숨어있다

skidd40

Post by skidd40 »

pb643 wrote:

They were in full best uniform on Friday, The the air intakes on plastic F35 seemed to tickle their fancy

Ouragan

Post by Ouragan »

My main issue about the Thunderbirds (away from the flying) is that the PR people do not take a look at the commentary and subtly alter it to suit the fact that they are not displaying in front of their home crowd. Standing on a British-owned airfield surrounded by huge numbers of British public and armed forces personnel to be told how the US military is the finest in the world yadda yadda could be seen to be a little... inappropriate, perhaps?

In addition, being told that 'Thunderbirds, light 'em up!' is the moment we've all been waiting for means little to a non-US crowd. With a little cultural research you could actually use 'Thunderbirds are go!' for a much better response from the non-enthusiasts -most of whom likely think of International Rescue when the name is mentioned in any case- and probably the rest of us as well.

By the way, I have to express my ongoing disappointment that they have still not seen fit to paint their C-17 support aircraft green with red engine nacelles and a big white '2' on the forward fuselage. Perhaps next year...

ukaskew

Post by ukaskew »

Ouragan wrote:My main issue about the Thunderbirds (away from the flying) is that the PR people do not take a look at the commentary and subtly alter it to suit the fact that they are not displaying in front of their home crowd.

actually use 'Thunderbirds are go!' for a much better response from the non-enthusiasts

1) As an alternative view, that was exactly what I wanted. It's the Americans, I don't want them to hold back just because they're not on home soil. I think the UK is probably the best place for them to get away with acting in the exact same manner as they do at home. It's all part of the experience.

2) They did, I'm sure, at least on the Sunday.

Generally I thought they were great, always something happening and lots of surprising moments when an aircraft would suddenly appear.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Ouragan wrote:My main issue about the Thunderbirds (away from the flying) is that the PR people do not take a look at the commentary and subtly alter it to suit the fact that they are not displaying in front of their home crowd. Standing on a British-owned airfield surrounded by huge numbers of British public and armed forces personnel to be told how the US military is the finest in the world yadda yadda could be seen to be a little... inappropriate, perhaps?

In addition, being told that 'Thunderbirds, light 'em up!' is the moment we've all been waiting for means little to a non-US crowd. With a little cultural research you could actually use 'Thunderbirds are go!' for a much better response from the non-enthusiasts -most of whom likely think of International Rescue when the name is mentioned in any case- and probably the rest of us as well.

By the way, I have to express my ongoing disappointment that they have still not seen fit to paint their C-17 support aircraft green with red engine nacelles and a big white '2' on the forward fuselage. Perhaps next year...

Your first point is spot on and we were chatting about it after the display. To state that, by definition, all other airforces are second best, including all those flying at RIAT, is hardly good PR. It just comes over as arrogant and ignorant IMHO
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

To state that, by definition, all other airforces are second best, including all those flying at RIAT, is hardly good PR. It just comes over as arrogant and ignorant IMHO

They had dialled it back about 1000% compared to their last visit - I was pleasantly surprised by the reduced level of jingoistic "USA #1" in the commentary.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Ouragan wrote:By the way, I have to express my ongoing disappointment that they have still not seen fit to paint their C-17 support aircraft green with red engine nacelles and a big white '2' on the forward fuselage. Perhaps next year...

I'm sure in the past the transports have had a Thunderbirds tail flash logo, maybe when they were in Europe for longer?

Milguy22

Post by Milguy22 »

I've always liked the Thunderbirds. In my opinion I feel that the music and commentary add to the display. Yes, it may be the same every time but how often do we see them over here in the UK? I think they are a rarely seen treat for the UK audiences and they fly current fighter aircraft.

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

Whilst for me, the routine went on a little too long and the commentary was a bit OTT (natch), it was IMO an entertaining display. Certainly compared to, say, the Midnight Hawks which were a big disappointment to me. They looked great but the display wasn't.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

I think the best thing to come from the Tbirds commentary was Lingy on the Reds mic stealing the "its showtime" lines..
Certainly raised a chuckle amongst the folks I was stood with.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Agree about Mike Ling's comment. Got some chuckles where I was too.
As for the Thunderbirds - they are what they are - a demo team as opposed to an aerobatic team. I was slightly disappointed that a lot of the "America! **** yeah!" style commentary was missing as its just so funny.
They're not my cup of Earl Grey.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

After seeing them everyday from Weds onwards I must say they grew on me, nothing mind blowing bu good at what they did.

If anyone was at P&V west on weds that sneak pass will forever live in the memory!
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Just one question about the Thunderbirds.
After listening to them over the course of several days, I just have to ask....who - or what - is Bob ??
아직도 숨어있다

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Saturday felt a little flat, however Sunday display was great. I really enjoyed it. In fairness there was still a little bit of a bad atmosphere lingering from the F22.

Too many people were comparing them to our Red Arrows, and I don't really think that was fair. 2 totally different types of teams. One is a high energy aerobatic routine in a jet trainer and the other is a role demo in a fighter aircraft.

The one thing I will say though, I did notice that their repositioning took a while each pass. Unlike the Reds (Yes, I know I said it is unfair to compare them) who have something going on all the time, the The crowd seemed to have maybe 20/30 seconds of empty skies before the next move or pass took place by the TBs.

Over all though, a great display. And nice to see them parked up at Yellow gate for all to see up close.

planenuttoo

Post by planenuttoo »

As mentioned by others they are good at what they do.......which is different to what we are used to, and they are full time at doing it. I am not too impressed with their show, and hate the commentary and the inappropriate music and "bravado", thank goodness for my ear protectors.

Jonnym

Post by Jonnym »

I really enjoyed their performances (which got better each day), the over the top commentary and the music that accompanied them. The guy air-popping t/shirts (rather comically) into the FRIAT stand and all the pomp that went with them. I wouldn't want them to water down what they do for the UK audience... it's an international (family) show and it's good to see each team doing exactly what they do in their home country and not tailoring it to suit to suit other nations audiences.

I realise that might not be the most popular opinion on here, but I'm betting the most of the non-enthusiast audience loved the thunderbirds more than something like the BBMF and if that makes them want to come back next year, then great.