2017 Awards

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
G-CVIX

2017 Awards

Post by G-CVIX »

Well, until it's known who's won what, what displays do you think are worthy award winners?

Personally, my FRIAT votes went to the SU-27 for As The Crow Flies, and the German C-160 for the Best Paint Job.

I'd hope to see the Rafale take an award because it's always just absolutely brilliant. That dependability is worthy of award in itself.

The Slovenian PC-9 was very good indeed, and the Spanish Hornet today was absolutely insane.

rdchawk

Re: 2017 Awards

Post by rdchawk »

Spanish Hornet best display by miles!!
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Mantog

Post by Mantog »

rdchawk wrote:Spanish Hornet best display by miles!!

Absolutely agree, superb display!

197cup

Post by 197cup »

Italian Tornado also deserves a mention especially for the display in tricky conditions on the Saturday :smile:

DanH

Post by DanH »

I'd like to see the BBMF take the award for best UK display.
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Heard Typhoon got best display which is, frankly, rediculous - it was outclassed and outshone all weekend. The T346 display was far better and that didn't have reheat!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

DanH wrote:I'd like to see the BBMF take the award for best UK display.

:up:

RJFs should also get an award.....not only for their display but for managing to get warned twice in succession on the Saturday ( "too close" ) :biggrin:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

boff180 wrote:Heard Typhoon got best display which is, frankly, rediculous - it was outclassed and outshone all weekend. The T346 display was far better and that didn't have reheat!

Seems to get something every year for some reason, Dan's comment in the other thread might explain it I guess.

Likewise I expect the Thunderbirds will get something too.

I thought maybe the Slovenian Let-410 should win the "best looked after" aircraft or whatever it's actually called haha, you know the one I mean! Pakistani Hercules won it last year. The little aircraft looked immaculate from what I could tell.

CJS

Post by CJS »

I would echo the Spanish Hornet comments. :shock: Likewise the Slovenian PC-9, which I guess will leave empty handed but really shouldn't, it was beautifully flown.

Another vote for the BBMF too, wonderfully flown by the fighter pilots especially. And if there's an award for longest time without peeing, I suppose that had better go to the B-2 pilot. :grin:

The Typhoon has won something you say? Hmmm...its display was great actually I thought, but clearly no better than plenty of the others, including those mentioned above and the 346, Rafale and both Gripens.

What I suspect will happen is that the Thunderbirds and F-22 will win something.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

JJC

Post by JJC »

boff180 wrote:Heard Typhoon got best display which is, frankly, rediculous - it was outclassed and outshone all weekend. The T346 display was far better and that didn't have reheat!

Agreed. Not a bad outing and certainly an adequate display, but completely faded into the background and went largely unnoticed with so many other exceptional routines on show. Poor show from RIAT/award decision makers, there certainly appears to be some cronyism on show.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

blackcat

Post by blackcat »

Think Typhoon Won best UK Display solo Did it not?
Surely not best Solo of everything ? Plenty in front of that although it was decent enough but nothing amazing.

Mark.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

http://www.airtattoo.com/news/2017/jul/17/top-displays-honoured-at-air-tattoo
After a superb three days' flying at the Royal International Air Tattoo 2017, the airshow's best displays were honoured at the traditional Sunday night hangar party, with awards going to the likes of the United States Air Force Thunderbirds team and F-22 Raptor, and the Ukrainian Air Force Sukhoi Su-27 'Flanker'.

Introducing the ceremony was Air Marshal Sir Kevin Leeson, chairman of the Royal Air Force Charitable Trust. His Royal Highness Prince Feisal of Jordan presented the first of the evening's trophies, the King Hussein Memorial Sword, in memory of the late His Majesty King Hussein, patron of the International Air Tattoo from 1983-89. Awarded for the best overall flying demonstration, its recipient was Capitaine Jean-Guillaume 'Marty' Martinez, the French Air Force Dassault Rafale C solo display pilot from Escadron de Transformation Rafale 3/4 'Aquitaine' at Saint-Dizier. The judges called his "a faultless, flowing and dynamic flying display". His sequence last year won him the award for best solo jet demonstration. After his 2017 success, 'Marty' commented: "I'm really happy because it's a wonderful prize. It was difficult due to the weather, but I tried to do my best. We have a nice jet and I'm well-trained to do it."

Another winner for the second year running was Maj Dan 'Rock' Dickinson of the US Air Force's 1st Fighter Wing at Langley Air Force Base, Virginia, for his Lockheed Martin F-22A Raptor demonstration. He will this time take home the Paul Bowen Trophy, presented in memory of Royal International Air Tattoo co-founder Paul Bowen, for the best jet demonstration, presented on the night by Jon Windover, from Ocean Software. The judges said the Raptor's performance was a "consistently accurate, powerful and superbly executed solo jet demonstration". "This is just absolutely awesome", said 'Rock', "especially on the eve of the 70th anniversary of the Air Force. Again, to be representing the United States Air Force and the F-22 Raptor, our team is just humbled and honoured to win such an outstanding award, and especially to see some of the past names that are on that trophy."

The Royal Air Force's Eurofighter Typhoon FGR4 display, in the hands of Flt Lt Ryan Lawton from No 29 (Reserve) Squadron at RAF Coningsby, was this year's winner of the Steedman Display Sword. It is presented by the Royal International Air Tattoo in memory of the late Air Chief Marshal Sir Alasdair Steedman, chairman of the International Air Tattoo (1981-88), for the best flying demonstration by a UK participant. The sword was handed over by Air Marshal Sir Kevin Leeson. Ryan said: "I'm absolutely thrilled and honoured. It was a tough weekend at RIAT with the weather, but I'm really pleased to have been able to display on the Sunday and to win best UK participant. I couldn't do it without the team as well. They've worked really hard all weekend."

One of the smaller air arms to present aircraft at the show, the Slovenian Air Force, enjoyed a successful visit. Its solo Pilatus PC-9M multi-role turboprop display by 1st Lt Andrej Fiorelli - a RIAT award-winner two years ago - of the 152nd Fixed-Wing Squadron at Cerkjle ob Krki scooped for him the Sir Douglas Bader Trophy for best individual flying display. He received it from RAFCTE Chairman Alan Smith. "It's a great, great, honour to win a prize again and to be a part of the biggest airshow so far for me", Fiorelli said. "I have no words - what can I say? It's unbelievable; the biggest award I can get as a pilot."

In the Czech Air Force Saab JAS 39C Gripen, Capt Ivo Kardoš from the 211th Tactical Squadron at Čáslav flew what was judged to be a "consistently well flown and accurate fast jet demonstration" to win the RAFCTE Trophy for the best flying demonstration by an overseas participant. RIAT Flying Control Committee Chairman Wg Cdr Jon Nixon handed him the award. "It was a wonderful, amazing airshow", reflected Kardoš. "It was the best one I've ever been to, and the best show in the world. Of course it's a great honour with the prize to represent the Gripen, and to represent Saab as well."

The As The Crow Flies trophy for the best overall flying demonstration as judged by members of the Friends of the Royal International Air Tattoo was presented by RAFCTE Non-Exec Director Dr Jim Glover to Sukhoi Su-27P1M pilot Col Oleksander Oksanchenko of the 831st Guards Tactical Aviation Brigade, Ukrainian Air Force, from Myrhorod air base. It was the first time a Ukrainian 'Flanker' had taken part in the RIAT flying display for 18 years. Speaking through an interpreter, Oksanchenko said: "Thank you very much for your hospitality, your partnership and to all the guys who organise the Royal International Air Tattoo. A very high standard is set, and we are very happy to be here. Everything is well organised. God bless your Queen!"

The Italian Air Force Panavia A-200A Tornado of the air arm's Reparto Sperimentale Volo flight test centre was awarded the prize for best livery, as also voted for by FRIAT members and presented by Tim Griffiths, from Jeppesen. In the words of the aircraft's weapons systems operator Col Paolo Fiorella, "We painted this aircraft for the 60th anniversary of our squadron. Winning this award here is a dream come true. A lot of magazines around the world are talking about us, and it's important so people know how the Reparto Sperimentale Volo works and what we do."

Finally, RAFCTE Chief Executive Andy Armstrong presented his own special RIAT CEO Award for an outstanding contribution to the show to the US Air Force Thunderbirds, whose F-16C and D Fighting Falcons deployed across the Atlantic especially to appear in the 2017 event's USAF 70th anniversary tribute. Thunderbird 7, Lt Col Kevin Walsh, the team's director of operations said: "It's a huge honour. With the field of other participants you have at this airshow, we couldn't be happier. There was a great team effort just to get the whole team overseas and in the air - to get us to put on a different demonstration out here we had to change our rules and change our display a little bit to fit the mould here. We thought we did well with it."
아직도 숨어있다

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

All are worthy winners if you disregard the three political wins....

Post by 106500 »

G-CVIX wrote:All are worthy winners if you disregard the three political wins....

....and your evidence underpinning the latter statement?

CJS

Post by CJS »

Well, they created an award just so they could give one to the Thunderbirds and the Raptor was clearly not the best anything, at least not based on Sunday's display. I'd have been extremely surprised if the Flanker had not won something and the Typhoon wasn't up against very much was it (RAFAT, who seem unable to win anything regardless of how polished their display is, and the Chinook, which shares the award with the Typhoon, they basically rotate every few years don't they?).

Extremely pleased for the PC-9 pilot. :clap:
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Ouragan

Post by Ouragan »

Yes, I'm absolutely chuffed that the PC-9 pilot won an award. I thought his routine was crisp and exact, and it was a shame that probably a lot of people used it as an opportunity to visit the toilet.

In the static display, anyone know if the Fouga Magister received anything. That polished metal finish was absolutely dazzling when the sun came out.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

106500 wrote:
G-CVIX wrote:All are worthy winners if you disregard the three political wins....

....and your evidence underpinning the latter statement?

Sorry mate, didn't realise this was a trial.

Upon consideration CJS, you're absolutely right.

I would have perhaps preferred the Reds be given it this time, because they went up and flew well in pretty pants conditions. I actually have found the Apache to be the most consistent performer this year, but that maybe because the pyros seem to have been ramped up a little. Their show close on Saturday was excellent.

Another funny one for Saturday only attendees with a couple there that they didn't even get to see!

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

BBMF would have been much more worthy winners than the Typhoon. They displayed incredibly well in less than ideal conditions. If not then then RAFAT.
Loving the fact they created an award just for the Thunderbirds! Priceless!
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

BBMF were more worthy winners than the Typhoon for me.The SU-27 and F-22 were the best jet demos.Totally agree on the Italian Tornado for best livery.My opinions are based on viewing from Totterdown rather than from the showground.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Brevet Cable wrote:http://www.airtattoo.com/news/2017/jul/17/top-displays-honoured-at-air-tattoo
Another winner for the second year running was Maj Dan 'Rock' Dickinson of the US Air Force's 1st Fighter Wing at Langley Air Force Base, Virginia, for his Lockheed Martin F-22A Raptor demonstration. He will this time take home the Paul Bowen Trophy, presented in memory of Royal International Air Tattoo co-founder Paul Bowen, for the best jet demonstration, presented on the night by Jon Windover, from Ocean Software. The judges said the Raptor's performance was a "consistently accurate, powerful and superbly executed solo jet demonstration". "This is just absolutely awesome", said 'Rock', "especially on the eve of the 70th anniversary of the Air Force. Again, to be representing the United States Air Force and the F-22 Raptor, our team is just humbled and honoured to win such an outstanding award, and especially to see some of the past names that are on that trophy."
So the unnecessary scrubbing all flyers won the Paul Bowen award? Sorry guys, but that is a major insult to Paul.
Last edited by aviodromefriend on Mon 17 Jul 2017, 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Ouragan wrote:Yes, I'm absolutely chuffed that the PC-9 pilot won an award. I thought his routine was crisp and exact, and it was a shame that probably a lot of people used it as an opportunity to visit the toilet.

In the static display, anyone know if the Fouga Magister received anything. That polished metal finish was absolutely dazzling when the sun came out.

Too right they did. When you are faced with 8 hours of mainly fast jet demos, choices have to be made. One look at the schedule and I knew right then, right there, that Saab 105 then PC 9 would give me the 15 min window I needed for the trek to point percy at the porcelain (or dimly lit steel urinal with a handful of foam to finish) should I say... :lol:

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Shows we're all different doesn't it. The 105 and PC-9 were two of the displays I most wanted to see. I used the Thunderbirds and Typhoon for my loo breaks.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

The length of the Thunderbirds display alone would have been sufficient for several loo breaks :lol:
아직도 숨어있다

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

CJS wrote:Well, they created an award just so they could give one to the Thunderbirds and the Raptor was clearly not the best anything, at least not based on Sunday's display. I'd have been extremely surprised if the Flanker had not won something and the Typhoon wasn't up against very much was it (RAFAT, who seem unable to win anything regardless of how polished their display is, and the Chinook, which shares the award with the Typhoon, they basically rotate every few years don't they?).

Extremely pleased for the PC-9 pilot. :clap:

Wasn't the CEO award given out last year aswell ?

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

I know we can all mock the t birds but it was an achievement to actually get a continental display team over to the UK ,just for the 1 show,it only happenes rarely (last time the Angels were in the U.K. was 1992!)and it was 10yrs since the T Birds so it's great to see these rare and exotic teams from far and awide !