RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
cg_341

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by cg_341 »

Rossbeef wrote:I for one am hoping that the Polish will make a return. They have supported the show for a good few years now with the Mig-29, Su-22s and F-16s and I did miss them this year.

Correct, you did. There was a Polish Navy M28 Bryza in the static.

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

Apologies, I meant to say the Polish air force! you did make me check to see if I did remember to take a photo of the Bryza though! thanks!! :lol:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

boff180 wrote:The actual RAF presence on static (of in service front line/fast jet aircraft) wise was again rubbish in 2017.

1 x Chinook
1 x Puma
1 x Tornado
2 x Typhoon
1 x Hawk T2
1 x Hawk T1
2 x A400M
1x King Air

There were more USAF aircraft on static....

Was there a static Chinook? I know on Friday they flew a second one in, as I assumed the flyer had gone sick on Thursday prior to its rehearsal. I wasn't there the weekend so I don't know if it was moved across?

I would also count the two Tutors, Tucano, the Squirrel, Juno, Jupiter and that little one on the end, ummmmm.........Voyager, that's it. But yeah it was still low key, and 100sqn's centenary Hawk presumably broke down. :whistle:
Last edited by capercaillie on Thu 20 Jul 2017, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Steve p

Post by Steve p »

boff180 wrote:The actual RAF presence on static (of in service front line/fast jet aircraft) wise was again rubbish in 2017.

1 x Chinook
1 x Puma
1 x Tornado
2 x Typhoon
1 x Hawk T2
1 x Hawk T1
2 x A400M
1x King Air

There were more USAF aircraft on static....

So pretty much the entire RAF then!!.
Seriously i was slightly amazed how small the RAF presence was this year. Seems they couldent even be bothered to send a herc and a C17 from Brize thats just down the road from Fairford, only 3 fast jets too, 2 typhoons and a tornado, i mean come on the germans sent 3 as did the french!!.
Anyhow i hope there is a MUCH larger RAF presence next year both current equipment and old.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Steve p wrote:only 3 fast jets too, 2 typhoons and a tornado, i mean come on the germans sent 3 as did the french!!.

What French fast jets did you see in the static park? There were two Alpha Jets, which is no different to counting the two RAF Hawks present! If you're going to post, at least post facts.

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

There was an Raf C-17 due to take part but cancelled. I didn't see an RAF CH-47 in the static park.

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

Does anyone think the USAF will send much from conus next year?

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

edhunter wrote:I didn't see an RAF CH-47 in the static park.

Just the small plastic one the RAF recruitment team use !

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

:yahoo: :rock: :worship: BEST RIAT EVER !!!!!!!! :king: :drool: :win:

Thought I'd get that one in before anyone else did :lol:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Personally I want to see at least one aircraft from each current RAF squadron at next years event? I too would like a 2003 style museum line up of old RAF aircraft. Plus a '100' formation flypast of 16 Typhoons :rock: Plus hopefully a big presence of WW1/2 Allied nations, plus NATO and commonwealth forces.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

farnboroughrob wrote:Personally I want to see at least one aircraft from each current RAF squadron at next years event.

That'll be exciting. 6 unmarked Typhoons plus a 41sqn machine, 3 unmarked Tornados, 2 or 3 each green blob Hercules or grey blob Atlas, two police helicopters, two identical unmarked Pumas, three identical unmarked Chinooks, some hideous looking civilian contract trainers and the ISTAR stuff that won't show anyway. :sad:

Hardly 1977 or even the 1993 line ups really. A very depressing state of affairs. :cuppa:

st24

Post by st24 »

capercaillie wrote:
farnboroughrob wrote:Personally I want to see at least one aircraft from each current RAF squadron at next years event.

That'll be exciting. 6 unmarked Typhoons plus a 41sqn machine, 3 unmarked Tornados, 2 or 3 each green blob Hercules or grey blob Atlas, two police helicopters, two identical unmarked Pumas, three identical unmarked Chinooks, some hideous looking civilian contract trainers and the ISTAR stuff that won't show anyway. :sad:

Hardly 1977 or even the 1993 line ups really. A very depressing state of affairs. :cuppa:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Killing it today mate!!
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Steve p wrote:Seems they couldent even be bothered to send a herc and a C17 from Brize thats just down the road from Fairford,
I assume you have crawled all over BZN to see which transporter was sitting there doing nothing for the complete weekend (so could have been available for a short hop into Fairford)?
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Steve p

Post by Steve p »

capercaillie wrote:
Steve p wrote:only 3 fast jets too, 2 typhoons and a tornado, i mean come on the germans sent 3 as did the french!!.

What French fast jets did you see in the static park? There were two Alpha Jets, which is no different to counting the two RAF Hawks present! If you're going to post, at least post facts.

I was refering to both static and flying participants.

Steve p

Post by Steve p »

aviodromefriend wrote:
Steve p wrote:Seems they couldent even be bothered to send a herc and a C17 from Brize thats just down the road from Fairford,
I assume you have crawled all over BZN to see which transporter was sitting there doing nothing for the complete weekend (so could have been available for a short hop into Fairford)?

Seriously, is the RAF is that short of transport aircraft?.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Aircraft, probably not. Crews, yes.

john001

Post by john001 »

Stars of the show will be August 1st

CJS

Post by CJS »

Steve p wrote:
capercaillie wrote:

The list had two RAF Typhoons for the static - were they both there? Cos that would make three Typhoons.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

MC hammer

Post by MC hammer »

edhunter wrote:With the line up we had at RIAT 17 does anyone think it could be any better at RIAT 18 if so how?

As for me I think it will be very hard.

So do I. Depends what you want.

Maybe the RAF will get the paint pots out and come up with some nice anniversary schemes. Or maybe they could apply some retro squadron markings on some of the current fleet of fast jets, a bit like Coltishall did with it's Jaguars in 1998, where past Jag squadrons were once again represented. A Tornado marked up for each squadron that saw service with them would be good, although there are probably more past squadrons than active Tornados now!

My main hope is that they send more of it down to park and view west on arrival next year, 2016 was much better in this respect. Maybe a discussion for nearer the time.

Steve p

Post by Steve p »

CJS wrote:
Steve p wrote:
capercaillie wrote:

The list had two RAF Typhoons for the static - were they both there? Cos that would make three Typhoons.

I did see 2 RAF typhoons, 1 static and 1 flying, there was another open for cockpit visits so i thought it was a replica but i may be wrong.

st24

Post by st24 »

CJS wrote:
Steve p wrote:
capercaillie wrote:

There were 4- 2 static a flyer and spare, though they all merge into a grey anonymous lump...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

MC hammer wrote:Maybe the RAF will get the paint pots out and come up with some nice anniversary schemes. Or maybe they could apply some retro squadron markings on some of the current fleet of fast jets

I think we're more likely to see a corporate style "RAF 100" logo applied to the tail of some aircraft and only one or two will show up at Fairford due to serviceability.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

The yardstick has to be Payerne 2014 for the RAF 100th - a two week show put on by a smaller Air Force and military.

- nearly every fast jet and display team in Europe
- middle eastern display teams
- dedicated celebration consisting of...
A) early flight - bleriot
B) World War One - biplane
C) World War Two - Mustang of MS
D) Cold War - Numerous Cold War warbirds
E) Cold War flypast - aircraft in D in formation
F) heritage flight
G) Modern solo displays - (puma and Hornet)
H) modern solo pairs display
I) modern solo pairs flypast with national teams
J) mass flypast of all elements involved in B through I
K) national teams display

Oh and... a celebratory pop song released in to the charts sang by a fighter pilot...
[youtube]http://youtu.be/6HZLb7Py5qk[/youtube]

JJC

Post by JJC »

Better off using it as a chance for foreign air arms to help the RAF celebrate in style, than focus largely on RAF assets. As pointed out above, their really isn't the variety/quantity of airframes available to the make the RAF the centrepiece of the show.

Get as many 'Royal' Air Forces as possible to the show?

How about some nations who have exchange programmes with RAF squadrons?

Focus on the vast plethora of nations who have had their nationals serve in RAF (a good chance for some excellent and rare contributions from across the globe - Commonwealth nations etc.)

Would be surprised if we don't see a decent contribution from the USA again, special relationship and all that.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Steve p wrote:
capercaillie wrote:

So you're still wrong as there were four Typhoons and a Tornado present from the RAF and three Mirages and two Rafales from the French AF. :tongue: