Pining for the Naughty Field: DanO inside Duxford...

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
Dan O'Hagan

Pining for the Naughty Field: DanO inside Duxford...

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Like half of the country's population, I decided to catch the two recently-arrived Mustangs at Duxford today, and within minutes of arriving realised why I gave up visiting airshows at this venue years ago. The flying rehearsals redefined the word "distant", and any nagging doubt about whether I should buy a show ticket had been extinguished long before noon! Still, warbirds are warbirds and there were some gems to be seen.

And The Horsemen's display is genuinely excellent. The formation flying is almost superhuman. Plus Frenesi and Berlin Express have to be seen to be believed.

Did anyone else see the Comet's extremely bouncy landing? A sheepish Paul Stone parked her up way down the Tank Bank end, and Dodge Bailey arrived with Shuttleworth engineers to give the undercarriage a very thorough inspection. I'd not be at all surprised if she was poorly for the weekend now.

ImageLegends014 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

ImageLegends017 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

ImageLegends008 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

ImageLegends005 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

ImageLegends016 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

ImageLegends001 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

ImageLegends012 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

ImageLegends022 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

ImageLegends021 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

ImageLegends009 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

ImageLegends002 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

ImageLegends018 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

ImageLegends020 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Always a pleasure to spend a day at an airfield with the Butchers, and good to see Screechy and the Vintage Aviation Echo troops.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: Pining for the Naughty Field: DanO inside Duxford...

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

A nice selection, a few in there I didn't even raise the camera for.

I found it rather slow going and expected a bit more from today in all honesty - not sure if this was an unusually low key day or if it's always pretty much as we got, but the day before Legends has built up a pretty decent reputation over the past few years. Maybe I expected too much? Our uncanny ability to be in the worst position at every key moment probably didn't help matters.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:not sure if this was an unusually low key day or if it's always pretty much as we got,

Based on previous years, yesterday was very busy.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Pen Pusher wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:not sure if this was an unusually low key day or if it's always pretty much as we got,

Brian

Have to agree, been the last four or five years and this year was probably the busiest.

Some nice moments as well this year, the Blenheim's arrival back to Duxford from the M-11 end was certainly closer than it got at Shuttleworth last weekend, albeit one pass.

I also thought the Comet had a particularly hard time. Bounced about all over the place.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Pen Pusher wrote:

Brian

That surprises me. My expectations were clearly way off.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Frenesi looks superb! Looks like she's been restored standard spec., (well, as near standard as is possible I'd suppose) ie without the passenger seat that you see in many P-51D's these days. :up:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

RedEagle

Post by RedEagle »

Love 109s. Hate Buchons.
But Mein Gott! Black 8 looks fantastic in its new scheme
......and it's delightfully worn and dirty!! :clap:

CJS

Post by CJS »

The last one is super :clap: :up:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

wallace

Post by wallace »

That's a nice set of photos you have there.

I don't think that I will ever go to another Duxford Air Show. Too many people, taking the same photos, at the same place, of the same aircraft, at the same instant in time, same, same, same...
A scrum for a half decent place to take photos, paying for expensive food at an expensive venue.
Sorry if this offends some but it is just not for me and if it is for you than I am truly pleased for you that you can get some entertainment out of it as I know lots do.

I've seen the Horsemen and I'd agree, spectacular flying.

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

wallace wrote:That's a nice set of photos you have there.

I don't think that I will ever go to another Duxford Air Show. Too many people, taking the same photos, at the same place, of the same aircraft, at the same instant in time, same, same, same...
A scrum for a half decent place to take photos, paying for expensive food at an expensive venue.
Sorry if this offends some but it is just not for me and if it is for you than I am truly pleased for you that you can get some entertainment out of it as I know lots do.

I've seen the Horsemen and I'd agree, spectacular flying.

The thing is I get that some prefer other venues and your qualification that it's your view is perfecty acceptable.
It's easy to take pictures without the need to get into the scrum, but pretty much most venues are like that these days. Take the bend areas at OW, it's usually full before the official opening time and also take the short flight line at Yeovilton for example. There is no need to pay for expensive and trashy food either with a cool bag picnic. Most venues charge above the going rate for food. Duxford is up with the highest.

It is the constant "I am right" attitude of some who only seem to be able to take easy picking ground shots that grate. There's many a good flying shot to be had at Duxford for some of the dedicated photographers, several of which are posted by them here. I am not displeased at the removal of the clutter of the free loaders in the background of the fields. Just my view.