East Fortune Airshow 2017

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
drumm78

Re: East Fortune Airshow 2017

Post by drumm78 »

Ah see it now on Facebook.shocking.well let's open up the doors and fire up the concorde

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

This culture of looking for any excuse not to display must be stamped out. It's a helicopter. Designed to operate in and out of confined spaces. One has to feel for the crew, as surely this decision will have come from several levels up the food chain, yet it is them who are left carrying the can and figures of ridicule.

Presumably the civvy autogyro and Wasp listed will have no such difficulty staying safely within the display box.

Embarrassing. And surely both the RAFAT and Aldi Rafale will have to modify their line now too?

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Seems crazy looking at the site. I would say the normal Chinook routine would hardly leave the airfield. I can see the Typhoon and Reds caning it too due to the caravan park, and railway line , unless they move their axis to the north as they have done elsewhere? If so North Berwick looks a good bet for a naughty field:tumbleweed: .

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

farnboroughrob wrote:If so North Berwick looks a good bet for a naughty field:tumbleweed: .

Traprain Law seems to be popular (EDIT:) which is to the south... ignore this bit!

I'm a bit annoyed about the Chinook, but a flypast is still good. I seem to recall they canned all their displays last year, citing airframe stress? Seems like they pull reasons out of a hat. Are people generally buying the CAA reason cited here, or is there something else afoot? Worst case scenario, as mentioned in the precious page, is that the Reds hang it up when the Hawk T1s need replaced. I already think the Reds are downplayed when displayed. The Frecce Tricolori put on a rip-roaring show, for example, whereas the commentary of the Reds seems a bit nerdy at times, and almost seems to try and downplay the sheer spectacle of what is some brilliant flying. Maybe its a British thing, that sets the Reds apart from the tub-thumping of American display teams?

Anyway, place your bets now for Saturday: No BBMF Lanc (poor weather, gone tech, leaves on the line etc), no Pembroke (see Lanc) and a flat display from the Reds due to the weather. :whistle:

portagee01

Post by portagee01 »

It's a big lumbering beast whose size and agility impresses in its own way, in the past much of the "dynamic" stuff has been done over the field between the museum and the racing circuit. Surely it's just a case of pushing their display line back a bit closer to the race track, to where the Sea King in the past has done it's hoist display. It would lose very little of it's spectacle.

EGL

Post by EGL »

Despite being fairly heavy tweeters find it strange the National Museums of Scotland haven't retweeted this yet!

Seen of Faceboook that the Wasp has cancelled due to the weather impacting transit today and weather forecast not the best for tomorrow. Wonder how many other acts may be similarly affected.

Sea Fury was listed but doubt will be appearing as has been removed from the animated gif on Twitter which was showing the RNHF's which is still not back in the air.

Reds on at 1 and Typhoon 4:20.

Given the forecast think I'll be giving it a miss this year.

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

I see there are NOTAMS for Eyemouth and Boulmer tomorrow, stating 'Air display will take place'.

Is this just the transit route for the Reds?

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

[tweet]https://twitter.com/loadmastersrock/status/888176538151264256[/tweet]

So, inflexibility of the the PDA process strikes again? :oops:

Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Alanko wrote:I see there are NOTAMS for Eyemouth and Boulmer tomorrow, stating 'Air display will take place'.

Is this just the transit route for the Reds?

Boulmer is holding its families day tomorrow, I believe aircraft will fly over the airfield on transit to East Fortune from Sunderland.

st24

Post by st24 »

Reds cancelled, it's a bit wet apparently...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Can't say I blame them, Weather here is dreadful wouldn't want to display in conditions like this either, Also must be miserable for the people actually at the venue itself.

r6pilot

Post by r6pilot »

Hi unknown74 I got half way on bypass on motorcycle & gave up & headed home can't blame anyone for not dispaying in this hope we get better weather for PRESTWICK

portagee01

Post by portagee01 »

Back home, cloud base was 400ft at EF when Red 10 flew in, and apparently it was rough for them to come up from Newcastle. Decided to call it when the display listing dropped into single figures and several of them were dubious as claiming to still be coming up from the South.

Came back along coast road, passing Archerfield, the L3 Cub on VFR from there would have struggled at that point.

Passing EDI on the motorway I doubt anything other than scheduled flights would be going near the runway, given the cloud base.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

So did very much flying take place at all? If so what managed to attend?

McG

Post by McG »

Going by the anger being vented towards the NMS twitter account not a lot. Lot of people wanting refunds.

portagee01

Post by portagee01 »

When we felt the only movement was the arrival of the Squirrel.

Curiously we were told the Dutch coast guard called off "for operational reasons", I took that to mean that it hadn't even travelled, yet ADSB Exchange had him flying out of Edinburgh just after 5pm heading home, lost the track over Alnwick.

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

So... I've been to better airshows!

The final display lineup was the Squirrel arriving, then departing. The Piper Cub from Archerfield gave a display following a reccie over the field, and at 16:30 the Typhoon flew over above the clouds, so was apparently heard but never seen.

My conspiracy theory is that NMS kept the Typhoon down as a possibility, after scratching everything else off the list, to try and keep folk at East Fortune for as long as possible. I feel genuinely sorry for the traders there today who probably paid a pretty penny to get a spot onsite and then saw only minimal trade in all likelihood. Part of the issue might have been a lack of covered seating or standing room, beyond going into the hangars themselves? If you purchased any food from any of the stands you had to stand out in the rain, or duck under the Vulcan.

Massive plaudits to the family I saw that had set up early and had a little BBQ on the go.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Alanko wrote:at 16:30 the Typhoon flew over above the clouds, so was apparently heard but never seen.

Probably the Typhoon's best display of the season then... :grin:

portagee01

Post by portagee01 »

McG wrote:Going by the anger being vented towards the NMS twitter account not a lot. Lot of people wanting refunds.

Looks like NMS are going to pay out something according to latest Twitter post.

Advised to retain tickets, all very well and good but on arrival at the prepaid red pass entry this morning the person on the gate took not just the parking ticket but the entry tickets off of us as well, after consulting with someone else. Despite the fact that we pointed out the cover letter that arrived with the tickets stated to keep your tickets with you.

Thankfully I have the email confirmation which they had better accept.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

I'm not sure why people should be expecting a refund when the great British weather is beyond the organisers control?
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Witchcraft24

Post by Witchcraft24 »

Gotta feel for the organisers... they spend months putting an event together and then, in the days before, the weather looks like it is going to decimate your hard work.
When the forecast turns out to be correct, it must be devastating. Forget the new CAA rules - Poor weather remains the number one enemy to the viability of many air displays.

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

The Baron wrote:I'm not sure why people should be expecting a refund when the great British weather is beyond the organisers control?

I'm a bit surprised by that as well. If nothing else, the NMS themselves must have sunk a lot of money into setting the thing up which they won't be able to claw back.

portagee01

Post by portagee01 »

To be clear, I'm not shouting for a refund, as far as I'm concerned the event went ahead.

If however they were to offer a partial refund, given the museum was open and as far as I'm aware all the planned ground events went ahead. Kudos to them, but the could create a financially unhealthy precedent.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Another example of why you should never, ever buy an airshow ticket more than 48 hours in advance of the event.

The forecast has been ropey for days. Anyone who bought a ticket knowing this really ought not to expect a refund.

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

portagee01 wrote:If however they were to offer a partial refund, given the museum was open and as far as I'm aware all the planned ground events went ahead. Kudos to them, but the could create a financially unhealthy precedent.

Just a thought, but the museum must need a pretty good clean up after today! I saw a lot of mud and grass getting tracked around the place. A refund means somebody is losing a lot of money somewhere. Partial refund is fair enough, perhaps, but if this is NMS reacting to the whining on Twitter then yes it is a bad precedent to set.

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Another example of why you should never, ever buy an airshow ticket more than 48 hours in advance of the event.

Sensible enough, but when these things are promoted months in advance the temptation is there.