Sunderland Airshow 2017

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
Chris G

Sunderland Airshow 2017

Post by Chris G »

Taking place from Friday 21st - Sunday 23rd July, including the now familiar Friday evening display ending with pyrotechnic displays launched both on the ground and in the air.

RAF Typhoon
RAF Red Arrows
RAF BBMF
RAF Falcons
RAF Grob Tutor
RNHF Swordfish
OV-10 Bronco

Unknown74

Re: Sunderland Airshow 2017

Post by Unknown74 »

Unfortunately for the second Year running won't be able to make it down for the Friday, so still hope I may be able to get down early on Saturday Morning. Here's hoping. If not I might try for East Fortune?

jon93

Post by jon93 »

Sally B, Autogyro and the Tigers Freefall team are down to display on Saturday and Sunday, with the Chinook making an appearance on the Sunday. Also last year the Sunderland City Council apparently overspent by £119,000 and the council needs to make cuts of £74 million by 2020, some are saying that Sunderland City Council are pulling the funding for the show once 2017 is done. So who knows whether there'll be a show next year, personally I would be happy paying an admission fee, as long as it's not ridiculously expensive, to see the show continue.

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Updated Sunderland list as from a piece in the local paper today...

RAF Red Arrows
RAF BBMF
RAF Typhoon
RAF Tutor
RAF Chinook (sun only)
RAF Falcons
Army Tigers Parachute Team
B-17 Sally B
Blenheim
Bronco
Calidus Autogyro
P-51D Mustang
Fireflies duo
Gerald Cooper XA-41
The Blades

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Updated list for this coming weekend. Hope the forecast improves, i'm going on Sunday!

• Red Arrows (F)
• RAF Typhoon FGR4 (F)
• BBMF Lancaster, Spitfire & Hurricane (F)
• Chinook (Sunday only) (F)
• RAF Tutor T1 (F)
• RAF Falcons (F)
• The Tigers Parachute Display Team (F)
• Fireflies (F)
• Gerald Cooper Xtreme (F)
• The Blades (F)
• Breitling Wingwalkers (F)
• B-17 Sally B
• Bristol Blenheim
• P51 Mustang
• Pitts Special - Lauren Richardson (F)
• Calidus Autogyro (F)
• Bronco Demo Team (F)
• Percival Pembroke (F)

Bluebird Mike

Post by Bluebird Mike »

Anyone know the BBMF timings for Saturday?

John_E

Post by John_E »

Bluebird Mike wrote:Anyone know the BBMF timings for Saturday?

Fri - 18:10
Sat - 14:40
Sun - 13:15

Bluebird Mike

Post by Bluebird Mike »

Thank you! :clap:

JordonHarston

Post by JordonHarston »

It's a bit blowy at the seafront. Looks like Sunday is the more frequent day of Flying as according to the programme Saturday has only two displays between 11 and 1 and both of them are parachute teams that being the Falcons and Tigers

Bluebird Mike

Post by Bluebird Mike »

The forecast is pretty rubbish for both Sat and Sun at the moment...

JordonHarston

Post by JordonHarston »

All I can say is well done BBMF. A good display in very blowy conditions.

JordonHarston

Post by JordonHarston »

Reds just give a 8 ship full display. I believe the wind made them cross the "line" a bit. RAF despite recent criticism have currently out two very good displays bearing in mind it is still blowing a gale

JordonHarston

Post by JordonHarston »

In my opinion Gerald Cooper in his Xtreme air has just given one of the best displays I have seen at Sunderland. Very gutsy as the sea breeze continues.
Typhoon was you know "the typhoon" loud but other than that lacking in substance if you know what I mean

John_E

Post by John_E »

Last night was interesting. The BBMF seemed to be having a discussion over the radio about where the display line actually was. I've got a topside shot of the Spit rolling where the wings take up a third of the frame at 500mm on a crop. Contrast that with Gerald's bonkers display where I've got the aircraft filling the frame.

The Typhoon was made slightly more interesting by the fact that it displayed at 20:50. Looking at my Xtreme Air shots, I can only imagine what the light would have been like on the Typhoon if it'd displayed 10 minutes earlier.

As for today, the Falcons have already Cancelled due to the weather and I wouldn't be surprised if other acts follow suit. Some frustrations being vented on Twitter over a lack of communication from the organisers although it's clearly quite a fluid situation.

Lovely touch from the Reds who performed a blue heart in honour of Bradley Lowery.

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

According to RAF Boulmer's Facebook page the Reds and the BBMF have scrapped flying for the day due to bad weather.

John_E

Post by John_E »

Typhoon display just tweeted that he has no updates on flying as yet.

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

Looks like you guys got better weather later on?

Bluebird Mike

Post by Bluebird Mike »

I was just up the coast working in North Shields and it looked absolutely foul out in that direction for most of the day, miraculously brightening up just in time for the Reds, whom I saw snippets of. Felt sorry for those attending...

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Those that flew today were, Typhoon, Air Ambulance Dauphin, Fireflies, Bronco, Mustang, Pitts S1S, Xtreme XA-41, Breitling Wingwalker and the Reds. Hoping for better tomorrow as i'm going, but having seen the forecast would take what flew today. Still never go, never know!

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Apparently East Fortune was worse Weather wise. At least you guys got Red Arrows.

Bluebird Mike

Post by Bluebird Mike »

Chris G wrote:Those that flew today were, Typhoon, Air Ambulance Dauphin, Fireflies, Bronco, Mustang, Pitts S1S, Xtreme XA-41, Breitling Wingwalker and the Reds. Hoping for better tomorrow as i'm going, but having seen the forecast would take what flew today. Still never go, never know!

Much more than it would have appeared from where I was, then. Not much of a line up, but then it never is at Sunderland really.

JordonHarston

Post by JordonHarston »

Seaburn seeming a lot nicer currently however the threat of rain from 2. Blades now displaying first at 11:43 followed by Falcons who should be able to jump today

Bluebird Mike

Post by Bluebird Mike »

Yeah, heavy rain from 2pm apparently...

JordonHarston

Post by JordonHarston »

Well everything going well at the moment Blenheim and Sally B gave a very good flypast together. With the Blenheim in my opinion giving the best display of the day so far. It was low and close.
These two displays and the formation flypast definitely the highlights so far

JordonHarston

Post by JordonHarston »

Typhoon just did one loud and fast pass before cancelling due to safety and weather. So that's the airshow over for another year. As I mentioned earlier B17 and Blenheim were the best displays for me including there joint flypasts. Chinook also battled the hardest of the weather to give a full display.
Next year is the 30th anniversary of the airshow so hopefully they can get something a bit different like maybe some sun for the whole weekend and a variety of international displays