East Fortune Airshow 2017

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
portagee01

Re: East Fortune Airshow 2017

Post by portagee01 »

Presumably as as well, that they will provisionally book a few items to use with the marketing, and would be looking at early/advanced ticket sales to get an idea of income for booking other acts.

Then again I could have the totally wrong idea of their funding model.

st24

Post by st24 »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
Alanko wrote:at 16:30 the Typhoon flew over above the clouds, so was apparently heard but never seen.

Probably the Typhoon's best display of the season then... :grin:

Well he turned up so will deserve the best display trophy.... For a change.... :whistle:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

st24

Post by st24 »

Alanko wrote:
The Baron wrote:I'm not sure why people should be expecting a refund when the great British weather is beyond the organisers control?

I'm a bit surprised by that as well. If nothing else, the NMS themselves must have sunk a lot of money into setting the thing up which they won't be able to claw back.

Precisely this, Lord knows how many shows I've left soaked to the skin having seen diddly squat fly or other outdoor events that have been rained off but have never expected a refund, it's part of the "joy" of living in the yookayy... Perhaps it's just today's greedy want everything society and also proves yet again that the only winners with advance tickets are the organisers....

Witchcraft24

Post by Witchcraft24 »

If advanced ticket sales cut the losses made by organisers, and thus enables them to run a show the following year, surely everybody wins (although I accept that the soaked pre payers from that year might be less keen to sign up quite so early).

st24

Post by st24 »

Witchcraft24 wrote:If advanced ticket sales cut the losses made by organisers, and thus enables them to run a show the following year, surely everybody wins (although I accept that the soaked pre payers from that year might be less keen to sign up quite so early).

Aren't losses what insurance is for??...

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

Alanko wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:Another example of why you should never, ever buy an airshow ticket more than 48 hours in advance of the event.

Sensible enough, but when these things are promoted months in advance the temptation is there.

The current trend of venues only selling advance tickets, is the main reason I gave up on airshows. No point in going if there is nothing flying as far as I'm concerned. The entry costs and petrol make airshows a no no if the weather isn't going to be decent.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

low level pilot(rtd)

Post by low level pilot(rtd) »

Why is it some consider at least a partial refund would not be in order?
Presumably the acts that cancelled won't be billing the airshow, so enhancing east fortune's profit?
We had access to the museum hangars and concorde, so I for one would not expect a full refund,
but a partial refund would be in order.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Some of the idiotic comments are unbelievable. They show a total lack of common sense or understanding. I personally will be really disappointed if any sort of refund is given. I've been to two shows, Jersey and Culdrose, that saw zero flying. It's an occupational hazard for airshows. People are greedy, ignorant and stupid.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

The Baron wrote:Some of the idiotic comments are unbelievable. They show a total lack of common sense or understanding.

Fair enough, but I would quite like some of my money back. I paid for four adults and a parking pass! I spent £80 + to watch a Squirrel appear and then leave again. :yahoo:

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Well that was a washout. We went with the phrase 'It's better to travel in hope than arrive in disappointment' but the weather forecast was 100% correct and only one aircraft took part in the flying display. Well done, Jim McTaggart. The Typhoon pilot should also be applauded for trying, as his counterpart said in the Squadron Prints tent, they only needed 1,000 feet cloudbase for 10 minutes, sadly that didn't happen. It is the only airshow I've been where the only participants were 1 x seen, 1 x heard!

I can understand people's frustrations and sense of disappointment but in terms of refunds, it clearly states on purchasing your ticket:

Refunds and Exchanges – National Museums Scotland tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded. Tickets for events and activities will only be refunded in the event of a cancellation.

Now whether it should have been cancelled is another question, but would that have been fair on the traders and the ground exhibitors? Tricky business all round.

vandal

Post by vandal »

Spiny Norman wrote:Well that was a washout. We went with the phrase 'It's better to travel in hope than arrive in disappointment' but the weather forecast was 100% correct and only one aircraft took part in the flying display. Well done, Jim McTaggart. The Typhoon pilot should also be applauded for trying, as his counterpart said in the Squadron Prints tent, they only needed 1,000 feet cloudbase for 10 minutes, sadly that didn't happen. It is the only airshow I've been where the only participants were 1 x seen, 1 x heard!

I can understand people's frustrations and sense of disappointment but in terms of refunds, it clearly states on purchasing your ticket:

Refunds and Exchanges – National Museums Scotland tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded. Tickets for events and activities will only be refunded in the event of a cancellation.

Now whether it should have been cancelled is another question, but would that have been fair on the traders and the ground exhibitors? Tricky business all round.

When the Piper Cub was up, he reported visibility around 10 miles but cloud at 700 feet.

With the refunds, that is difficult. EF effectively never cancelled as you mention, but even if they had, it would only have been because of the flying programme, unless there was a safety issue to those on the ground. There was still the museum and all it's exhibits that you normally have to pay to gain access to. Been to many air shows where the weather put paid to the flying, and have never expected a refund. I go with the attitude that we are, and always will be at the mercy of the elements.

EF could maybe extend the window for advance / discounted tickets - remember one year where Leuchars sold theirs cheaper up until the day before the show.

dconnery1966

Post by dconnery1966 »

Yeah I feel sorry for the one's that went unfortunately, I had made my decision on Friday night thank God I did, anyway think it

was Leuchars airshow 2008 which was a complete washout, think the only thing that displayed was an Apache and a flypast by the AWACS I think ?

Was supposed to meet up with Stratocaster and Stu yesterday sorry about the weather there's always next year, see you guys at Prestwick in September :biggrin:

Yeah and well said Vandal agree with what you said about the weather :up:

Dougie :biggrin:

johnmcilwraith

Post by johnmcilwraith »

I left EF at 11:00am to go back to Edinburgh on the bus and train and will put it down to experience and do not expect any refund.

Earlier this month I was at RNAS Yeovilton and IWM Duxford for which I had to pre-pay for tickets and I also had to pre-book all rail fares & accommodation in London well in advance. The weekend turned out to be a scorcher but had it gone pear shaped then I would just have had to accept it, however, as some have posted, it does concentrate the mind, whether to go or not in the future.

The noticeable changing patterns of weather over the last 30 years with wetter summers in the UK is something we are going to have to accept when planning outdoor events such as airshows.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

I really do feel for all of you who went or tried to get to East Fortune Yesterday, I was going to go but when I saw the Weather Early Yesterday Morning that unfortunately made up my mind and stayed home.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Refund information is now up on the NMS website.

If you feel you 'did not get value for money from the event' you are asked to write in.

http://www.nms.ac.uk/airshow

portagee01

Post by portagee01 »

It will be interesting to see what sort of uptake they get on that.

I won't be writing in, despite the noises I made earlier in the thread. For me the difference between a standard museum entry and the advance ticket is only £7, take off a bit of that for the fact that the ground entertainment went ahead, realistically what would they offer?

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Just with the savings made by not having to pay the scabby CAA their 'extra-slice' for 'all' the acts that didn't happen, they could probably refund 20p in the Pound!
Notwithstanding the geographic location & their fabled financial propensity, I do expect a low take-up on the refunds? :wink:

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

Stagger2 wrote:Notwithstanding the geographic location & their fabled financial propensity, I do expect a low take-up on the refunds? :wink:

You do realise, East Fortune is in East Lothian, not Yorkshire! :lol:
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.