September Air Show 2017

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Elliott Marsh

September Air Show 2017

Post by Elliott Marsh »

...is a Battle of Britain airshow with a massed Spitfire gathering. Nice of them to redo 2016's Spitfire throw down, given I missed it.

We should have some new airworthy Hurricanes and a genuine 109E flying by then. Decent prospects for some ridiculous combinations and formations. A "veterans" formation of Spitfire Mk.I, Hurricane Mk.I & Me109E would be A+.

st24

Re: September Air Show 2017

Post by st24 »

Elliott Marsh wrote:...is a Battle of Britain airshow with a massed Spitfire gathering. Nice of them to redo 2016's Spitfire throw down, given I missed it.

We should have some new airworthy Hurricanes and a genuine 109E flying by then. Decent prospects for some ridiculous combinations and formations. A "veterans" formation of Spitfire Mk.I, Hurricane Mk.I & Me109E would be A+.

Boooh!! Same old same old then.... :sleepy: :tongue:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Elliott Marsh wrote:...is a Battle of Britain airshow with a massed Spitfire gathering. Nice of them to redo 2016's Spitfire throw down, given I missed it.

Sounds good to me!

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Duxford IWM Airshows have to be commercially viable and a "Spitfire Show" will always attract the general public more than a "Hurricane Show"
However that should be no excuse for the event organiser to make every effort to 'buy in' the Hurricane / Me-109 display items. That way they can also sell the airshow to the enthusiast as well.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

At what point would the September line up start to gather pace..?

It's all a bit quiet here...

:tumbleweed:

Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Last year they were still adding aircraft up until about 1 week before and it was very quiet until early-mid August

Paul Fly-by

Duxford sept bob air show

Post by Paul Fly-by »

I have purchased the seating enclosure just so i do not need to bring a seat with me at sundays outing is this going to be a good vantage for photography or will i need to be else where to get shots of the runway and aircraft or will statics etc be in front of me ,i thought for the extra £5 would be worth a go.

capercaillie

Re: Duxford sept bob air show

Post by capercaillie »

Paul Fly-by wrote:I have purchased the seating enclosure just so i do not need to bring a seat with me.

Slightly greedy if you ask me, or do you intend renting it out? :dunno:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Paul Fly-by

Post by Paul Fly-by »

yes i may have put some weight on over the years so the thought i would have the enclosure to myself

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

I'm looking through the booking form and prices, I notice that they do a Free Carers day out pass. as it doesn't stipulate being with a disabled person could I be cheeky and get one of those as the wife wouldn't be able to get down. :biggrin:
Being honest I've never thought about trying it on and I always pay my due, it just intrigues me as to whether it only applies to accompanied disabled people.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

How exactly do you qualify to recieve a Free Carer-Ticket if you're NOT accompanying the person at Duxford for whom you Care? :dizzy:
The facility is to allow Disabled persons to attend Duxford without the financial penalty of paying for their (possibly?) dis-interested Carer. If your post was lighthearted, you should have included a 'wink' or 'whistle' :question:
As it is, you are coming across as a 'northside' version of the dreaded freeloader, irrespective of your personal financial situation! :oops:

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Stagger2 wrote:How exactly do you qualify to recieve a Free Carer-Ticket if you're NOT accompanying the person at Duxford for whom you Care? :dizzy:
The facility is to allow Disabled persons to attend Duxford without the financial penalty of paying for their (possibly?) dis-interested Carer. If your post was lighthearted, you should have included a 'wink' or 'whistle' :question:
As it is, you are coming across as a 'northside' version of the dreaded freeloader, irrespective of your personal financial situation! :oops:

If you read the full post I said I've never tried it nor would I. I always pay my due. I was intrigued if a carer got a free ticket irrespective if they accompanied a disable person or not. It wasn't lighthearted just a genuine question. But I suppose it could come across as someone wanting to freeload.
When Cosford had that traffic problem a few years ago and offered refunds on tickets I had 3 tickets that didn't get the stub taken off, for some reason we never got asked for them, went through a security check. If I wanted I could have claimed the £60 back, but that money was for charity and it would be so wrong on many accounts. They same reason I would never freeload at any event.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Xray833

Re: Duxford sept bob air show

Post by Xray833 »

Paul Fly-by wrote:I have purchased the seating enclosure just so i do not need to bring a seat with me at sundays outing is this going to be a good vantage for photography or will i need to be else where to get shots of the runway and aircraft or will statics etc be in front of me ,i thought for the extra £5 would be worth a go.

Only used it once and this was my experience but maybe I was unlucky.

I booked enclosure tickets online for both the Saturday and Sunday of last year. I arrived on the Saturday and after lunch entered the enclosure, which is not a grandstand and has many rows of seat all on a flat level surface. As I wished to stand at some point to take photos I chose an end seat on the very last row so that I would not be in any ones way when I stood up. Even so when I did I moved out of the seat and stood behind it. Just before the start of the flying display a very large gentlemen, from our capital city or close by I would imagine from his accent, lowered himself on to the seat in front of me accompanied by a degree of colourful language and several grunts. Not only did he inflict himself upon this seat he also overflowed onto the next one as well forcing the backrest to move well from the vertical. There was a strong aroma of the amber nectar or something similar from a previous session and he then proceeded to open yet another can some of the contents of which were blown in the wind directly behind him. A very short while later another rather portly gentleman from the Iberian peninsula came in and took up the seat next to me. Not being of similar build to my now two close companions photography from the sitting position was out of the question even for flying shots. However, I had chosen an end seat at the rear of the enclosure so I had the option to stand up when necessary. Unfortunately, for me, every time I did the gentleman to my left decided that my seat was better than his and he proceeded to move over and had to be asked on several occasions to return to his own seat when I wished to sit down. After about an hour of this pantomime I gave up and returned to my car and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon from there. Needless to say I did not use my enclosure ticket on the Sunday and have not purchased one for this year.

As I said I may have been unlucky or even naive in my choice of seat but it definitely did not work for me.

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

Flying list now on Duxford website.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

http://www.iwm.org.uk/events/iwm-duxford/airshows/2017/duxford-battle-of-britain-air-show#flying-aircraft-list

Confirmed to fly

Avro Lancaster PA474 - Battle of Britain Memorial Flight

Supermarine Spitfire - Battle of Britain Memorial Flight

Hawker Hurricane - Battle of Britain Memorial Flight

Douglas Dakota ZA947 - Battle of Britain Memorial Flight

RAF Falcons

Great War Display Team

Hawker Hurricane Mk.I R4118 - Hurricane Herritage

Hawker Hurricane Mk.I P3717- Hurricane Herritage

Tiger Nine (9x de Havilland DH82a Tiger Moth)

Yakovlev Yak-3UA - Will Greenwood

Hawker Hurricane Mk.XIIa 5711 - Historic Aircraft Collection

Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vb BM597- Historic Aircraft Collection

Hawker Fury Mk.I K5674 - Historic Aircraft Collection

Hawker Nimrod II K3661 - Historic Aircraft Collection

Supermarine Spitfire TR.9 PV202 - Aircraft Restoration Company

Bristol Blenheim Mk.IF L6739 - Aircraft Restoration Company

Hispano Aviación HA-1112 Buchon C.4K-102 - Aircraft Restoration Company

Supermarine Spitfire HF Mk.IXe TD314 - Aircraft Restoration Company

Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress 'Sally B' 44-85784 - B-17 Preservation

Consolidated Catalina PBY5A - Plane Sailing

Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXb MH434 - Old Flying Machine Company

Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk.Vb EP120 - The Fighter Collection

Curtiss P-40C Warhawk 41-13357 - The Fighter Collection

Curtiss Hawk 75 No 85 - The Fighter Collection

Curtiss P-36C 38-210 - The Fighter Collection

Grumman FM-2 Wildcat BuNo 86711 - The Fighter Collection

Grumman F8F-2P Bearcat BuNo 121714 - The Fighter Collection

Goodyear FG-1 Corsair BuNo 88297 - The Fighter Collection

Gloster Gladiator Mk.II N5903 - The Fighter Collection

Hawker Nimrod I S1581 - The Fighter Collection

Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Ia N3200 - Imperial War Museums

Supermarine Spitfire TR.9 ML407 - Air Leasing

Supermarine Spitfire FR Mk.XIVe MV293 - Air Leasing

Supermarine Seafire Mk.III PP972 - Air Leasing

Hawker Fury FB.11 SR661 - Air Leasing

Hawker Hurricane - Air Leasing

Mikoyan Gurevich Mig-15UTI - Norwegian Air Force Historical Squadron

de Havilland DH100 Vampire T.55 - Norwegian Air Force Historical Squadron

de Havilland DH100 Vampire FB.52 - Norwegian Air Force Historical Squadron

Supermarine Spitfire TR.9 SM520 - Boultbee Flying Academy

Supermarine Spitfire HF Mk.IX RR232 -Boultbee Flying Academy

North American P-51D-20NA 44-72216 'Miss Helen' - Boultbee Flying Academy

Supermarine Spitfire FR Mk.XVIIIe SM845 - Richard Lake

Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XVI - Richard Lake

Douglas C-47 Skytrain - Percival Aircraft
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Looks like a strong lineup, if similar to past shows. I was going to give this a pass since i did this show last year and legends but it looks to be basically legends again (sans reds and horsemen) but with all the missing stuff like the Hawker biplanes and legends was great so I'm very tempted.
Last edited by Jumbo on Wed 02 Aug 2017, 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

st24

Post by st24 »

Ppfffftt..... only 4 Hurricanes?!....... Not a bad list- I bet even Duxford hating Elliot Marsh will approve :whistle:

Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Nope, 5 hurricanes. A BBMF one, 2 from hurricane heritage, the HAC hurricane and an air leasing hurricane which is presumably G-ROBT?

st24

Post by st24 »

Jumbo wrote:Nope, 5 hurricanes. A BBMF one, 2 from hurricane heritage, the HAC hurricane and an air leasing hurricane which is presumably G-ROBT?

Well spotted, Ppffftt.. only 5?!!

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

Well, that little lot softens the blow of missing Legends. A tremendous line up :clap:
My shots on Flickr and Airliners

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

Setting aside the supposed theme of the show, that's a great line up of aircraft. TFC fielding more aeroplanes than they did at Legends if everything is serviceable. It will be interesting to see any further additions over the next few weeks. (I'm guessing more Spitfires...)

B_Tank88

Post by B_Tank88 »

I may be giving this a shot, will be travelling from Leicester so will be a 2 hour journey but will try make it early. What is a good time to aim for reaching the venue to miss traffic? Will be my first Duxford visit.

Beech18Boy

Post by Beech18Boy »

. Another 2 seater spitfire will be there. Be a large gathering.

planenuttoo

Post by planenuttoo »

B_Tank88 wrote:I may be giving this a shot, will be travelling from Leicester so will be a 2 hour journey but will try make it early. What is a good time to aim for reaching the venue to miss traffic? Will be my first Duxford visit.

So long as you're in the queue after me, I would suggest about 0750 is a good time.

Mike

Post by Mike »

B_Tank88 wrote:What is a good time to aim for reaching the venue to miss traffic? Will be my first Duxford visit.

I find about 1.30 works perfectly. :lol: