Edwardian Pageant 6 August

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
st24

Re: Edwardian Pageant 6 August

Post by st24 »

capercaillie wrote:
st24 wrote:
capercaillie wrote:Is the Gladiator flying again yet? If not, the new Hurricane airborne again would be good. :smile:

Not since its ahem, little excursion into the local countryside... You have a free Sunday then??

Amazingly yes, although if I survive the build-a-bear workshop this Thursday, I 'm not sure. :surrender: :grin:

You should take Tilly there mare, she'd love it!! :grin:

As we've said elsewhere, be great to see the Maggie, Chippie and Lizzie, Glad, a Hurri or two, even the Reds.... :clap: :butt:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Red Arrows look to be last on at about 18.10 (If notam times are +1)
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

st24 wrote:As we've said elsewhere, be great to see the Maggie, Chippie and Lizzie, Glad, a Hurri or two, even the Reds.... :clap: :butt:

Didn't you get your fill of them at eff eff dee?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
st24 wrote:As we've said elsewhere, be great to see the Maggie, Chippie and Lizzie, Glad, a Hurri or two, even the Reds.... :clap: :butt:

No Glad at eff eff dee. :sad: I've heard the Flemish Spit may turn up however!
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

st24

Post by st24 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:

Never! I enjoy nipping up to Scampers with the see-bee-why pro-togs to see if I can get some jelly and spluff on them.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Bristol Scout also attending, according to their Facebook and website.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

rdchawk wrote:Red Arrows look to be last on at about 18.10 (If notam times are +1)

Wonder if DanO's chav's will be willing to hang around all day just to see them? Would think that they'd be bored out of their tiny minds. 'Oh no, not another one of those thingy's with two wings?!'
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

st24

Post by st24 »

AlexC wrote:
rdchawk wrote:Red Arrows look to be last on at about 18.10 (If notam times are +1)

Wonder if DanO's chav's will be willing to hang around all day just to see them? Would think that they'd be bored out of their tiny minds. 'Oh no, not another one of those thingy's with two wings?!'

Indeed, all those Transit vans and BMW X1s With Staffy Terriers locked in them clogging the place up! After 6pm should be reserved only for the Edwardians at their home...

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Wonder if Shuittleworth could time a flypast of an Edwardian at low level and the Red Arrows over the top??
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Mike

Post by Mike »

Perhaps they could add a Gazelle helicopter to the mix too. Or maybe a flexwing microlight. :lmao:

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Are they really going to display that late?

Andy :smile:

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

J0345/17: Temporary restricted area activated
Q) EGTT/QRTCA/IV/BO/AW/000/045/5205N00019W006

RESTRICTED AREA (TEMPORARY) AT OLD WARDEN, BEDFORDSHIRE FOR A RED
ARROWS DISPLAY WI 6NM RADIUS 520516N 0001905W. AREA ESTABLISHED UNDER
ARTICLE 239 OF THE AIR NAVIGATION ORDER 2016. SEE SEPARATE NTOAM FOR
AIR DISPLAY AT SAME LOCATION. AIC M 064/2017 REFERS. 17-08-0059/AS1

LOWER: Surface, UPPER: 4,500 Feet AMSL
FROM: 06 Aug 2017 17:07 GMT (18:07 BST) TO: 06 Aug 2017 17:42 GMT (18:42 BST)

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Thanks Brian.

Andy

AMB

Post by AMB »

Does anyone know why the DH51 is not on the list and hasn't flown for ages?
Adrian

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Good to see both BE2es and the Scout attending this show! Looking forward to it - please, for the love of god, can we have a WWI-heavy show that isn't blown out this time?!

svas_volunteer

Post by svas_volunteer »

AMB wrote:Does anyone know why the DH51 is not on the list and hasn't flown for ages?

It was on the flying list for the very wet sunset airshow in May and did ground run to dry the magnetos off but the weather conspired against it. It has flown this year if I remember correctly and sadly with limited engineering resources some aircraft get prioritised above others.

Steve
These are my individual views and not to be taken as official posts from The Shuttleworth Trust or The SVAS

NTFC1

Post by NTFC1 »

Afternoon all......
Unfortunately due to car issues i'm now unable to attend tomorrow so am having to sell my ticket (plus 4 under 16's if needed).
£15 as it's late/short notice.
Anybody interested?

st24

Post by st24 »

NTFC1 wrote:Afternoon all......
Unfortunately due to car issues i'm now unable to attend tomorrow so am having to sell my ticket (plus 4 under 16's if needed).
£15 as it's late/short notice.
Anybody interested?

See PM...

PirateTrickster

Post by PirateTrickster »

Excellent show today. We made a full day of it and took in the Swiss Garden (recommended) and House in the morning. Full marks to all the attendees who came dressed up (there were a fair number as well as the re-enactors). Commentators whose knowledge was encyclopedic. Great variety of flying stuff you wouldn't see anywhere else. My personal highlight was the Tiger 9 although I'm biased as the Tiger Moth was what my late Grandfather learnt to fly on when he joined the RAF.

Got lucky getting out - we were parked close by the museum and jumped in our car as soon as the Reds finished. Sat in a queue for 5 mins when we were the second car directed down the road behind the museum buildings and out through the main gate, turn right and swiftly back to A1.

Despite only having attended twice it's fast becoming my favourite airshow location - especially as the sun is behind you so you're not dealing with glare, and lights up the planes nicely.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

PirateTrickster wrote:Despite only having attended twice it's fast becoming my favourite airshow location - especially as the sun is behind you so you're not dealing with glare, and lights up the planes nicely.

I haven't been anywhere else for an airshow in 2 years now. :up:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

st24

Post by st24 »

First time I can ever recall a traffic jam getting out of OW, simply unheard of, must have been all those frightful CBY ( :grin:) Twitter lot after the Reds clogging up the A1...
Another laid back day out amongst acceptable company, mainly, and delightful aeroplanes. Snipe owned it and Breitling pair provided entertainment in so many ways. So many DeHavillands in various guises which can only ever be a good thing..
5500 crowd so not a sell out which is a surprise.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:I haven't been anywhere else for an airshow in 2 years now. :up:

Same here, in fact maybe even 3 years for me.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

After a number of blown out WWI themed shows, they finally struck (mostly) lucky! We had the Snipe, BE2e, Scout, Dove, SE5a and Bristol F2b flying, with Sopwith Pup and Triplane grounded by weather conditions. The second BE2e wouldn't start for its display slot, but managed to get airborne to head for home after the show, so not all was lost in that respect. The Camel joined a most impressive line-up of Sopwith types in the morning. Hopefully not too long to wait now.

Great to see the Comet (which flew twice), Mew Gull and DH.51 flying, too!

The "general" family element proved popular too. A fair few families left after the Breitling Wingwalkers (really good at Old Warden; it also made me realise how little I see of them these days) but the crowd numbers stayed strong until the Reds closed the show after 6pm. Having the Reds on at the very end of the programme means those who attended primarily or solely to see them enjoyed a full four hour flying programme before their star item - if only a handful of them come back in future, that's only a good thing for the Collection.

In all, another thoroughly excellent Old Warden airshow. Next stop: Flying Proms!

Mike

Post by Mike »

AMB wrote:Does anyone know why the DH51 is not on the list and hasn't flown for ages?

It looked and sounded lovely wafting by in the sunshine yesterday afternoon. :smile:

Elliott Marsh wrote:After a number of blown out WWI themed shows, they finally struck (mostly) lucky!

Mostly, partly, sort of.

We still lost one BE2e, the Camel, Avro 504k, Bristol M1c, Pup and Triplane from the listed items. So six flew and six didn't.

It will be one for the ages if they ever manage to get all the WWI aeroplanes working at the same time as the weather plays ball.

But I agree, it was still a most excellent afternoon's entertainment. That galloping horse-drawn steam-powered fire engine was quite mad.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

I also enjoyed the show (although I had to leave about 5.00 for "domestic reasons :oops: ". In particular, I thought the DH51 and Comet/Dragonfly/Rapide formations were good opportunities.

However it seems to have gone without comment that the key items missing from the show were the collections Edwardians who try to appear at most shows but not even scheduled for this one. It would have been better described as a WWI Pageant. Happy to be corrected if I've missed something somewhere.

Andy :smile: