Nope
23%
Nope
23%
Depending on the lineup - I'll wait and decide nearer the time
15%
Depending on the lineup - I'll wait and decide nearer the time
15%
I can't decide what to do, what a to-do!
3%
I can't decide what to do, what a to-do!
3%

Total votes: 350

tuska2

Re: So, you gonna go or what?

Post by tuska2 »

Well B-Tank88 its a point of view, but not one I or others on this forum seem to share. We are all customers after all, would you patronise an expensive and poor
quality Fish and Chip shop for example? For what Scampton are charging and what they are promising to deliver in just over 4 weeks, they appear to be in the same league as that Fish & Chip shop! I have wondered if this airshow isn't designed to fail, if not, then as someone has already said, you couldn't write it, as
if they intended to be a regular quality event, a great deal more effort should have been applied long before now . Its not like they haven't the experience or
connections... Hopefully I'm wrong, and you'll have a good time, but my money is staying trousered!

pb643

Post by pb643 »

tuska2 wrote:Well B-Tank88 its a point of view, but not one I or others on this forum seem to share. We are all customers after all, would you patronise an expensive and poor
quality Fish and Chip shop for example? For what Scampton are charging and what they are promising to deliver in just over 4 weeks, they appear to be in the same league as that Fish & Chip shop! I have wondered if this airshow isn't designed to fail, if not, then as someone has already said, you couldn't write it, as
if they intended to be a regular quality event, a great deal more effort should have been applied long before now . Its not like they haven't the experience or
connections... Hopefully I'm wrong, and you'll have a good time, but my money is staying trousered!

Using your own analogy. Is it not a little unreasonable to condemn the shop, before it has even opened? :grin:

I do however agree, that it is a shame, that there has not been a least one standout participant, comparable in quality to what RIAT and Waddington have attracted over the years.

A large admission cost does unfortunately bring high expectations.
Last edited by pb643 on Wed 09 Aug 2017, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

I guess the Chip shop analogy isn't the best pb643, after all you don't have to pay for your supper weeks in advance!

XX752

Post by XX752 »

tuska2 wrote:Well B-Tank88 its a point of view, but not one I or others on this forum seem to share. We are all customers after all, would you patronise an expensive and poor

I think you may just be right. A poor line up, and a tenner overpriced for what is on offer almost looks deliberate doesn't it? Then they can say 'we tried and it was poorly attended' and the idea of a military airshow in Lincolnshire is killed off once and for all.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

tuska2 wrote:I guess the Chip shop analogy isn't the best pb643, after all you don't have to pay for your supper weeks in advance!

Very true :lol:

Chopper81

Post by Chopper81 »

Nope, I can't resist Belgian beer :worship: oh and 3 nights accommodation, Eurotunnel, fuel and 3 days of serious aviation for less than £150 per person!

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Chopper81 wrote:Nope, I can't resist Belgian beer :worship: oh and 3 nights accommodation, Eurotunnel, fuel and 3 days of serious aviation for less than £150 per person!
Well, I think that sums it up. The problem is that choice to clash with Sanicole, a show that has got all the great displays over the years, that is celebrating a jubilee. I wonder if the date is chosen to have a kind of home coming event for the Reds, like you see at Nellis or Pensacola, without checks of the implications that date comes up with.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

DonaldGrump

Post by DonaldGrump »

As someone who only missed one Waddington show (the wash out year, was going on the Sunday) I had every intention of supporting Scampton. The admission costs soon changed my view to one of "there will have to be something good". As I type there really is nothing that I can even approach being enthusiastic enough about to attend sadly.

I hope that changes but it is getting late in the day. I do hope however that it can be improved upon in future years and become if not a Waddington replacement perhaps a creditable substitute.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

The admission price is too high, looking at the price and all the enclosures, for the money you are going to be penned in either end of the crowd line, if you want any other view then you are going to have to pay a lot more.

Same goes for parking, high price admission and you get to park down the road in the show ground, then lump all your gear with you.

Pay more for any of the enclosures you get to park on base,
Its a rip off and borderline of class discrimination.

Gone are the days of the one price entry ticket, the crowd line today is carved up like a bit of beef.
Fillet in the center sirloin and rump out from the center and the poor get the scraggly fat ends. :lol:

The flying list is terrible at present, the price should be £20 i was going to say £25 the same as Waddington,
Thou the didplay list and display time is half of what a Waddington show was almost.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

vulcan558 wrote:The admission price is too high, looking at the price and all the enclosures, for the money you are going to be penned in either end of the crowd line, if you want any other view then you are going to have to pay a lot more.

Same goes for parking, high price admission and you get to park down the road in the show ground, then lump all your gear with you.

Not true. If you look at the showground map here..

http://scamptonairshow.com/assets/pages ... 210717.jpg

You'll see the grandstand and garden enclosures at the crowd line end, believe it or not.

As for the parking, there seems to be very limited capacity in the show ground area. How would you suggest they allocate it? by ballot? :roll:

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Well, I'm unimpressed with this show.

Roast beef prices for scragg end product.

Don't get me wrong, the product is ok, if you went to southport, etc, but for the much heralded Scampton, it's decidedly 'Meh'.

I can't see anything attending that would make me want to go 'naughty field' let alone pay to get in.

So what do others think? What display item would sway you (providing your not going to Sanicole, that is) to attend?
Got to love Russianhardware

Shyft87

Post by Shyft87 »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
vulcan558 wrote:The admission price is too high, looking at the price and all the enclosures, for the money you are going to be penned in either end of the crowd line, if you want any other view then you are going to have to pay a lot more.

Not true. If you look at the showground map here..

http://scamptonairshow.com/assets/pages ... 210717.jpg

You'll see the grandstand and garden enclosures at the crowd line end, believe it or not.

As for the parking, there seems to be very limited capacity in the show ground area. How would you suggest they allocate it? by ballot? :roll:

Check the Blue zone mate...

Dambusters enclosure, Scampton pavilion, and Lincolnshire Garden; all dead centre.

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:Well, I'm unimpressed with this show.

Don't get me wrong, the product is ok, if you went to southport, etc, but for the much heralded Scampton, it's decidedly 'Meh'.

I can't see anything attending that would make me want to go 'naughty field' let alone pay to get in.

So what do others think? What display item would sway you (providing your not going to Sanicole, that is) to attend?

I think DBH need to go back to the drawing board with this show. Maybe they should ask the public what they want to see and give them what they want. If they want a seaside airshow line up, fair enough. If they want a mini- RIAT style show, then do it.

Personally with it being the Red Arrows home base I would like it to be be like the 'other' aerobatic team homebase shows at Rivolto/ Salon de Provence/ San Javier - i.e. a gathering of international aerobatic teams with international fast jet/ helicopter displays thrown in . Therefore still different to RIAT but has its own theme.

Would DBH be happy to allow the Red Arrows to celebrate their 55th/ 60th anniversary at Scampton with the above brief or will that go to RIAT too?

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Shyft87 wrote:
Check the Blue zone mate...

Dambusters enclosure, Scampton pavilion, and Lincolnshire Garden; all dead centre.

Lincolnshire Garden is to all intents and purposes at the end, if not the very end. As for the other two, they are a small area of crowd line. If you want a place on the rope, and you get in early, you'll get one.

BossMann wrote:Personally with it being the Red Arrows home base I would like it to be be like the 'other' aerobatic team homebase shows at Rivolto/ Salon de Provence/ San Javier - i.e. a gathering of international aerobatic teams with international fast jet/ helicopter displays thrown in .

I confess that is what I expected when the show was announced and I booked my tickets. I am surprised it hasn't been supported in that way by the Reds' 'friends', but the organisers have obviously bid for foreign military support and haven't been successful. There's nothing they can do to reverse that, its not about money or a booking process.

Given that the mil support hasn't been forthcoming it would be nice to see rarer and higher value civilian items booked, but being realistic and recognising they have the start up costs of a new event the budget must be limited. I guess they're attempting to stretch a limited budget a long way hence we have a show made up of the very familiar.

I hope at the very least the event can put down some roots this year, become established, and do better at attracting some military support next year.

I could regret the overnight hotel and grandstand seats for three I've already paid for, but at the end of the day I'll go and make the most of it. And keep on hoping for a rabbit to pulled from the hat by DBH!

XX752

Post by XX752 »

The content would be a great line up - if the show was priced at £25. I do not know why an 'earlybird' ticket pricing system was not in place for this - I did manage to purchase two tickets for £5 off each, but even at £34 I still think the cost is extortionate for what is currently offered.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

BossMann wrote:
HeyfordDave111 wrote:Well, I'm unimpressed with this show.

I think DBH need to go back to the drawing board with this show. Maybe they should ask the public what they want to see and give them what they want. If they want a seaside airshow line up, fair enough. If they want a mini- RIAT style show, then do it.

Personally with it being the Red Arrows home base I would like it to be be like the 'other' aerobatic team homebase shows at Rivolto/ Salon de Provence/ San Javier - i.e. a gathering of international aerobatic teams with international fast jet/ helicopter displays thrown in . Therefore still different to RIAT but has its own theme.

Would DBH be happy to allow the Red Arrows to celebrate their 55th/ 60th anniversary at Scampton with the above brief or will that go to RIAT too?

I really can't see it being that simple. I don't for one minute think that participation by international teams has been turned down. Looking at the display list, I can only imagine that any offer of military participation has been gratefully accepted. As another poster has already said, you can't force participation from abroad.

If an aerobatic team theme had been adopted, it would be proving to be rather embarrassing at the moment. So we can only assume that they are delivering the best show possible? Value for money is of course a totally different question.

Having said that, six months ago, I would have quite happily wagered £10 that at least one exotic participant would have appeared following the Reds tour last year, maybe they still will? :question:

Craig

Post by Craig »

My view on this one has stayed the same. I really want to go, it's my local show and I want to support it, but given the price I need a reason. Not much of one, just something special that would justify forking out a significant chunk of cash. Sadly it seems it's not going to happen. At £25 I'd have gone anyway but as has been repeatedly said high prices bring certain expectation. They've currently got nothing even approaching it.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Craig wrote:My view on this one has stayed the same. I really want to go, it's my local show and I want to support it, but given the price I need a reason. Not much of one, just something special that would justify forking out a significant chunk of cash. Sadly it seems it's not going to happen. At £25 I'd have gone anyway but as has been repeatedly said high prices bring certain expectation. They've currently got nothing even approaching it.

So true when you see the €25 for Sanicole, and the £25 for the line ups at Waddington.
This price for a 5 hr show with no more then a seafront line up. Less then some seafront shows if you ask me.

B_Tank88

Post by B_Tank88 »

I'm going :cool:

I didn't opt for the Lincoln Bus and decided to park at the showground using normal tickets. The airfield is only 15 mins away from the Bus stop in Lincoln so I didn't see the point I'd rather drive for the extra flexibility and convenience.

AMB

Post by AMB »

The ridiculous hyped-up e.mails that DBH is putting out about nothing is having a negative effect and putting me off. They really sound desperate!
I am expecting them to announce next " The Lincoln Ladies Knitting Champion will be making her air show debut at Scampton" :tumbleweed:
Adrian

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

Where will the entrance be for the Park&View? Thinking of a run out there on Monday

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

AMB wrote:The ridiculous hyped-up e.mails that DBH is putting out about nothing is having a negative effect and putting me off. They really sound desperate!
I am expecting them to announce next " The Lincoln Ladies Knitting Champion will be making her air show debut at Scampton" :tumbleweed:

Sorry but surely this should be in a different thread? :dunno:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

AMB wrote:The ridiculous hyped-up e.mails that DBH is putting out about nothing is having a negative effect and putting me off. They really sound desperate!

Ooooooh, I hope so, Ladies knitting kind of does something to me! :heyhey:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Finningley Boy wrote:

Ooooooh, I hope so, Ladies knitting kind of does something to me! :heyhey:

FB :biggrin:

Don't think like that on the way to the show FB, you just may have to stop and pullover. :wave:

OK, I'll get my cardigan..... :tumbleweed:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

AMB wrote:I am expecting them to announce next " The Lincoln Ladies Knitting Champion will be making her air show debut at Scampton" :tumbleweed:
Wrong. A 727.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program