A whisper of Moths at Old Warden

Photos of light aircraft, gliders, helicopters and anything that isn't commercial
Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

A whisper of Moths at Old Warden

Post by Blackbird »

Spent an enjoyable, relaxed and civilised day at OW for the Moth Club Fly In which was well attended by spectators. Unfortunately, a poor weather forecast put off a number of the expected Moths although the weather was pretty good all day, if a bit windy, and much better than forecast.

It wasn't only Moths...

I don't know who was flying the Dragon Rapide but he (or she) was certainly enjoying themselves over the course of the day with some spirited flying!

I do like a nice Chippie!

This Tiger looked immaculate in its Australian markings and according to G-INFO appears to have been built in Australia.

This formation was a bonus and the extent to which there was any display.

...and with a closing speed of,say, 150mph, the opposition pass!

A flying Gypsy Moth was nice.

I think most motor mowers have a more powerful engine than this Aeronca C3! They say if it looks right, it flies right. This doesn't look good at all - with due apologies to the owner.

My thanks to the organisers and all credit to Shuttleworth who did not charge for admission. Hopefully they boosted the coffers with sales of food and drinks.

Did anyone else on here go along?

Andy :smile:
Last edited by Blackbird on Mon 31 Jul 2017, 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wv383

Re: A whisper of Moths at old Warden

Post by wv383 »

A really nice set of images of classic machines. That Dragon Rapide is particularly nice in its original BEA scheme. I first saw it when the owner had it based in the old Bournemouth Aircraft Museum before it went to Old Warden.
Simon

I.Winfield

Re: A whisper of Moths at old Warden

Post by I.Winfield »

Nice photos of what was a really relaxed enjoyable day.

I have to agree with what you said, having been to last years rally as well, it is a great day out, where else but Shuttleworth would people still park sensibly as if it was a normal airshow day. As always a great atmosphere, with a spirited Rapide display!
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/i_winfield/
Twitter: @IWinfield1

nacl1

Re: A whisper of Moths at Old Warden

Post by nacl1 »

An excellent selection of pictures from a superb day out. Very nice to see G-ACGZ, something of a rare beast.

Hopefully, this event will go from strength to strength at this venue in future years

st24

Post by st24 »

Delightful. :clap: Forecast put me off..again!! :sad: That aussie one is a beaut and good to see XL 714 still flying though I'd like to see it back in its RN BRNC silver and dayglo scheme...
Great stuff and fair play to Shuttleworth, they couldve charged a fiver each surely...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

Thanks for sharing. Had planned to attend but I got roped in to help out fund raising at the Epping & Ongar Rly. beer festival. :)