The White Helmets in their final season

Photos that are not aviation related
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

The White Helmets in their final season

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

The Royal Signals motorcycle display team - the White Helmets - have been part of my life for most of my nearly fifty years. I was a huge fan as a kid, and I don't think that really goes away. One of my earliest memories is watching them on Newcastle Town Moor in the very early 70's, and they evoke memories of corralling my mates to re-enact the show on our bikes afterwards, the Royal Tournament, and even of classic air tattoos where the team often appeared.

I was very disappointed when it was announced that this season, their ninetieth, is to be their last. Despite being self funding, they have been deemed old fashioned by the army and not representative of the modern force. I'm not sure that anything ceremonial isn't old fashioned. Anyway, I couldn't let their last season go by without seeking them out one more time. To see that act which has barely changed in my lifetime. And that is not a bad thing!

So, Shrewsbury Flower Show, Saturday 12th August, I did my best to attempt to shoot the display, while feeling like a little lad again in that nostalgic way.

and finally, it doesn't seem so long ago that my dad was taking this same photo of me..

Thanks for looking folks, I hope a few happy memories have been stirred.

cheers
Nige :smile:

starbuck

Re: The White Helmets in their final season

Post by starbuck »

Definitely. Great memories of the White Helmets tearing up Earls Court at numerous Royal Tournaments. Thanks for posting.

hunterxf382

Post by hunterxf382 »

Great set of photos!
Saw them perform at the recent Cawdor Barracks Open Day (former RAF Brawdy) in July. Sad to hear then that they were disbanding - personally I felt that the skills needed were still valid no matter what the role of the current Armed Forces.. things like discipline / teamwork etc.... but obviously the bean counters think otherwise in this day and age :(
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

psquiddy

Post by psquiddy »

Lovely old Triumphs - they must be 35 years old.
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

must have seen them in Earls court back in the 70's. Sad to see them go after all that time. Maybe a touring Dance troop would suit better for Recruitment needs. :confused:
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

White Helmets always good value. Such a shame that faceless civil servants don't appreciate them and have seen fit to disband them. :mad:

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

King Cobra wrote:White Helmets always good value. Such a shame that faceless civil servants don't appreciate them and have seen fit to disband them. :mad:

As stated by the OP they are self-funding. It is the Army brass that has decided they have better things for their soldiers to do with their time, not civil servants trying to save a buck.

However, if a motorcycle display team is deemed "old-fashioned", then the writing must surely be on the wall for men in armour with swords, riding horses.....

John