Biggin Hill 2017

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
aceyone

Re: Biggin Hill 2017

Post by aceyone »

Just back from an excellent day at Biggin ,would just iike to say thanks to all involved for a great days entertainment and the free BH 100 th anniversary baseball cap !
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

Rick

Post by Rick »

What frequencies were they using today

Cheers
Slackers of the World unite !
Tomorrow.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Quite happy to see the Grey F16 display! :biggrin:

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

st24 wrote:
POD wrote:
BossMann wrote:
POD wrote:
I believe the Czech Helo's are a combined CSAR demo......

There's also a Belgian Herc on Static and is arriving Friday.......

Wow - ultra rare two ship display by a Mi35/ Mi 171! looking forwards to it

Has this combination displayed anyone else before?

I have seen it once two years ago at Kliene Brogel, but not here in the UK.... :up:

But that was a 2 ship Mi171 display at KB, the Hind flew solo. Either way a military Hip will be making it's UK debut in a UK flying display.. :up:

They did use both the Mi-35/ Mi-17-1 combo' in a CSAR display in Hradec Kralove, CZ. Rep' at their air-show in 2016. Very good it was too! :up:
Last edited by Stagger2 on Sat 19 Aug 2017, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

patrouille2001

Post by patrouille2001 »

No Belgian Hercules or Chinook in static

Petedcollins

Post by Petedcollins »

Did anyone manage to get into today with tickets on their phones?

I forgot to get mine printed for tomorrow and don't really want to buy a printer for this one thing

J.C Photography

Post by J.C Photography »

Did the Red Arrows display on an alternative axis?

patrouille2001

Post by patrouille2001 »

No. Reds used main runway as normal display

J.C Photography

Post by J.C Photography »

patrouille2001 wrote:No. Reds used main runway as normal display

Excellent!

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

Did the F-16 use flares?
Nikon D500

ted633

Post by ted633 »

patrouille2001 wrote:No. Reds used main runway as normal display

Brilliant. Looks like whoever it was up top who was making these changes has seen sense / been made to see sense!
Roll on tomorrow
Last edited by ted633 on Sat 19 Aug 2017, 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

Harvo266 wrote:Did the F-16 use flares?

nope

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

paullangford wrote:
Harvo266 wrote:Did the F-16 use flares?

nope

Didn't use them in 2010 so i dont see why they would now! :smile:

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

Oh well, that's annoying, but still a great display without the bells and whistles.
Nikon D500

Charles022

Post by Charles022 »

Does anyone know what time the PDF and support are arriving tomorrow please?

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

Did one of the Reds suffer a birdstrike at the end ?
I noticed that the show seemed to halt at the end, and the two synchro's paired off into the distance.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

paullangford wrote:Did one of the Reds suffer a birdstrike at the end ?
I noticed that the show seemed to halt at the end, and the two synchro's paired off into the distance.

Yes, Red 9 suffered a "minor" bird strike but landed without any problem having been visually inspected by Red 8(?).

Andy

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

I have to say I have very mixed thoughts about today.

1. The car parking (both entrance and exit) was shambolic. There was no good reason to have to queue for 30 minutes to get in - only the (poor) training that the youngsters had been given - or not as the case may be.

2. The flying display was very disjointed with long gaps - and that's ignoring the Red 9 incident which is obviously nobody's fault.

3. I thought that £28 was steep for what there was. The static was almost non-existent. It makes OW and even Duxford look very good value.

4. The Czech contingent made the day :biggrin: :clap:

...retreats to bunker with tin hat :whistle:

Andy :smile:

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

Blackbird wrote:
paullangford wrote:Did one of the Reds suffer a birdstrike at the end ?

Yes, Red 9 suffered a "minor" bird strike but landed without any problem having been visually inspected by Red 8(?).

Andy

Thx for the info Andy :up:

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

French C-130 support reported off the southcoast near Eastbourne inbound Biggin in, say 15-20 minutes subject to routing?

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Blackbird wrote:I have to say I have very mixed thoughts about today.

1. The car parking (both entrance and exit) was shambolic. There was no good reason to have to queue for 30 minutes to get in - only the (poor) training that the youngsters had been given - or not as the case may be.

2. The flying display was very disjointed with long gaps - and that's ignoring the Red 9 incident which is obviously nobody's fault.

3. I thought that £28 was steep for what there was. The static was almost non-existent. It makes OW and even Duxford look very good value.

4. The Czech contingent made the day :biggrin: :clap:

...retreats to bunker with tin hat :whistle:

Andy :smile:

You're right about the car park, there was very little organisation to it, or at least it certainly seemed that way. Didn't feel the flying display was disjointed at all, thought they did very well considering they had a lot of arrivals and departures for two other airshows'. Only one significant gap in a day, isn't too bad going. The static as always been a difficult one at Biggin because there isn't a lot of room to park everything. Not many airshows' could boast, two Typhoons', two F-16s', Gripen a Hip and Hind on static however they feel out of the way because of their positioning, always been a problem at Biggin. But agree that the Czech airforce really made the way, three superb displays.

Overall I thought it was a good show. Could have done with the Typhoon displaying but really brought back a flavour of the much missed Biggin Hill International Airshow.

PanamaMan

Post by PanamaMan »

Defeated by the traffic at 11am on the approach, getting too old to spend my remaining time in queues :sad:
Hope those of you who battled through (I know, I should have got up earlier) had a great day.
Sorry to have missed the Hind, now looking forward to the photos :biggrin:
Anything less than 900mm is wide angle

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Brilliant flying from start to finish!

Positives:
First airshow i've been in a while with blue skies! :grin:

Grey F16, as i've seen the Blizzard jet god knows how many times was refreshing to see one!

I hope we see the MI-24 & MI-17 duo more often in the future at Biggin and other UK shows. Not usually into heli displays but i thought it was stunning. Really made use of the whole runway!

The flying from the Patrouille De France really cool stuff!

The Czech Gripen, was being thrown around like a missile!

Negatives:

Traffic. Was an absolute shambles. I got off the bus thinking i was nearly at Biggin, but i realised i was quite a distance away. I managed to get off near the pond where everyone fishes. Didn't affect me though as i powerwalked the whole way for an hour and 10mins overtaking 4 320 buses! wonder if anyone see me? :grin:

The Typhoon. What a bore fest. Used to get really excited to see it fly but today i actually enjoyed the Wingwalkers more! (very close and prop slapping display) At least theres talk today of a special schemed jet for next year though :shock:

Patrouille De France's commentator sounded like someone had a gun to his head! :tumbleweed:
I also enjoy their music as its usually unknown and i can go home and shizam it but this year it was a collection of chart music. Much prefered 2014's display!

Ice cream vans on the crowdline and food area near it. Come on really? some shots have them in! and just resulted in people moving back and forth.

The crowd. I know this couldn't be helped but my god there were some characters in there. A mass mix of misbehaving kids and chavs who would tell you a Typhoon is a Vulcan.

All in all i'd most certainly come back as it was an enjoyable day out and Biggin is a cracking venue for flying. Hope next year is bigger and better. :smile:

westhamfan84

Post by westhamfan84 »

I really enjoyed today's show. It was a real quality over quantity show. I came by bus so can't comment on car parks but was the quickest I have got in and out off an air show and I always use coach or public transport. I thought the pdf were amazing and that there flat show seems a little more dynamic than the reds flat show just my opinion. I thought the commentary was 1st class as well. Well done to all the organisers for putting on a fantastic show.
Planned Shows for 2022 - Midlands air festival, Cosford, Weston, Southport, Riat, Blackpool, Bournemouth

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

westhamfan84 wrote:I really enjoyed today's show. It was a real quality over quantity show. I came by bus so can't comment on car parks but was the quickest I have got in and out off an air show and I always use coach or public transport. I thought the pdf were amazing and that there flat show seems a little more dynamic than the reds flat show just my opinion. I thought the commentary was 1st class as well. Well done to all the organisers for putting on a fantastic show.

What bus did you come on a flying one? :grin: