Busy afternoon at North Weald

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Busy afternoon at North Weald

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Some from a busy afternoon at North Weald. Weather not as good as forecast and I get a bit frustrated trying to shoot these Norwegian jets, they're always parked at the Squadron and there's so much clutter, or they're out of reach on the cross runway, so I headed for the revetments for lift-off shots today.

Missed the Hurricane in the sun and just had to grab some shots before he pulled away from the hangar.

Gnat Display Team also had a solo jet out to Herne Bay, but you've seen them a thousand times over by now so I'll spare you a side-on shot.

de Havilland Vampire FB.6 LN-DHY - Norwegian Historical Squadron - North Weald, August 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr

Hunting-Percival Jet Provost T.3 XN637 (G-BKOU) - North Weald, August 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr

de Havilland Vampire FB.6 LN-DHY - Norwegian Historical Squadron - North Weald, August 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr

Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIb BE505 (G-HHII) - Hangar 11 Collection - North Weald, August 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr

de Havilland Vampire T.55 LN-DHZ - Norwegian Historical Squadron - North Weald, August 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr

Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15UTI "Red 18" (N104CJ) - Norwegian Air Force Historical Squadron - North Weald, August 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr

And a few from an hour last Sunday:

Yak-52 G-YOTS - North Weald, August 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr

Hunting-Percival Jet Provost T.3 XN637 (G-BKOU) - North Weald, August 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr

"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

starbuck

Re: Busy afternoon at North Weald

Post by starbuck »

Was there an issue with the Gnat? It missed its original slot at Herne Bay but put on a great display when it arrived later.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

It was supposed to be the yellow Gnat, but it went tech so they had to swap jets.

FastJetsBest

Post by FastJetsBest »

Very nice shots, I always seems to miss the Vampires.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:It was supposed to be the yellow Gnat, but it went tech so they had to swap jets.

That'll explain it, thanks.

Nice shots from today, I still have to pinch myself that we have a mig displaying on the uk circuit, it's been a couple of years and I'm even starting to take it a little bit for granted.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

starbuck wrote:I still have to pinch myself that we have a mig displaying on the uk circuit, it's been a couple of years and I'm even starting to take it a little bit for granted.

Indeed. It's a nice little machine - makes a great low rumble on start-up, reminds me of the Jags at Coltishall. :love: