RIAT "Glamping"

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Roughcutter

RIAT "Glamping"

Post by Roughcutter »

Had some good(ish) news and some bad news. Last week I received acknowledgement for two Mach3 FRIAT membership applications (great! :yahoo: ), however when I searched around for accommodation for the duration of RIAT18, there is absolutely nowhere to be found (not even a dog kennel :sad: ). And anywhere remotely local that might just have accommodation during RIAT week, then understandably expect to pay top draw prices - for example Jury's Inn (Swindon) are charging from 11th to 15th July £688 for a double room, way beyond my budget. This leaves me with the plan B option - camping, which I wanted to avoid. I know many on the forum enjoy camping indeed I did myself a long time ago, until after an absence of 12 years, on a wim I opted to pitch up at Totters in 2015. In most ways I enjoyed the experience, the photo opportunities, friendly atmosphere/pathos etc. It was the other things that put me off, loading up the car with all that parefinelia - everything but the kitchen sink, cooking meals/breakfast, cleaning up, queueing for showers (and sh@ts), crouching in the rain, groping about putting up tents in the dark and pumping up airbeds and so on - usually when you're tired and shagged out after a long (enjoyable) day of lugging a heavy camera bag around Fairford.
Earlier this year RIAT were promoting "Glamping", basically a campsite within the vicinity where everything was laid on for you - pre erected tents with camp beds in them and other mod cons, not cheap I know but certainly a lot easier than having to do everything yourself. Did anyone on the forum take advantage of this service and was it (very) expensive?
MarkL

boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT "Glamping"

Post by boff180 »

Staffer Dom camped there (using his own tent) and had very positive things to say about it.

Hotels are now an issue, the operators are now putting their prices up exponentially each RIAT. On average you will pay over £100 for a single room... I saw some 2/3 stars this year charging over £500 a night!

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

No camping at Rhymes as a knock on effect, take away Totterdown and it will be even harder to get hotels.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

I did indeed stop on the official RIAT campsite & I cant sing its praises enough (the only issues I had over the week was a cold shower 2 of the mornings) they had proper toilet and shower blocks & huge entertainment tent with bar & 2 different caterers along with a proper charging point tent, although I didn't use the catering I drove the 5 mins into Fairford Village.

I visited Totterdown on the Sunday & the facilities didnt touch the official site, I'll be staying again if the same company arranges the facilities next year.
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Last edited by Big Eric on Mon 16 Jul 2018, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

Domvickery wrote:I did indeed stop on the official RIAT campsite & I cant sing its praises enough (the only issues I had over the week was a cold shower 2 of the mornings) they had proper toilet and shower blocks & huge entertainment tent with bar & 2 different caterers along with a proper charging point tent, although I didn't use the catering I drove the 5 mins into Fairford Village.

I visited Totterdown on the Sunday & the facilities didnt touch the official site, I'll be staying again if the same company arranges the facilities next year.

How much did it cost ?

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

I think it was £110 for Tuesday-Monday

CJS

Post by CJS »

That's stupidly good value, especially if the facilities are good.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Domvickery wrote:I think it was £110 for Tuesday-Monday

Was that per person?

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Yep, just me, that also included a vehicle pass which was an extra cost too

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Roughcutter wrote:- for example Jury's Inn (Swindon) are charging from 11th to 15th July £688 for a double room,
So only 3 Pounds per night more than this year. Nothing to go ballistic about. I think setting your budget being completely unrealistic is the real problem.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

aviodromefriend wrote:
Roughcutter wrote:- for example Jury's Inn (Swindon) are charging from 11th to 15th July £688 for a double room,
So only 3 Pounds per night more than this year. Nothing to go ballistic about. I think setting your budget being completely unrealistic is the real problem.

Bearing in mind you can go on holiday to a Mediterranean island for a week for less, you think £688 is reasonable do you?
Personal opinion only, but you're barmy.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Well supply and demand blah blah blah..but I've just been camping for three nights and it cost me and my infinitely better half (and our small person but he was free) just under the RIAT price Dom paid (so in other words a similar rate) and all I got was a Merlin flying over once, so I'd say the RIAT site is pretty good value.

The arguments about whether or not something's 'worth it'are essentially pointless - if no-one paid it then no, it's not worth it. But all the time people are willing to fork out, whether it's for engine runs, nightshoots or hotels, then you can't really say it's not 'worth' whatever is being charged, however much most of might disagree.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

You should probably re-read my last post again, Chris. What Dom paid is, I agree, an entirely reasonable price to pay. Forking out nearly £700 for a room in Swindon I would say is most definitely not. I never said it was worth it, I said it's not reasonable.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Domvickery wrote:I think it was £110 for Tuesday-Monday

Same as Kempsford, then.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

I think much of the camping experience is down to how much and quality of equipment you take with you.I know some campsites are better than others facilities wise and is reflected in the prices.There's a group of us who stay at Totterdown which is the best view now for the days we don't go in the show.We stay in a large stand up 8 man tent and take a T.V which we run off a leisure battery and our own toilet/tent amongst other things so the RIAT camping experience is all about what you make it in my opinion.

Berf

Post by Berf »

441 Alverscot
420 Cockelford
345 Witney
446 Witney
cheaper in Stroud and Cheltenham

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

I'd drop £700 without thinking if it meant I got a warm and dry room, indoors, with a hot shower and proper toilet. Not to mention a wide array of places to eat nearby, car parking on sorting not akin to to the Ardennes, and a secure place to leave things should I want to.

planenuttoo

Post by planenuttoo »

Me and a colleague started camping at Fairford when the IAT moved there. We then used the Kempsford until about eight years ago. We had had enough of the sleep disturbed nights and the hours lost, dozing whilst missing the aircraft 'cos we were knackered; the promised but never maintained night security.

Luckily now, we locate a short distance away and have a life of luxury at a price we like.

I too would always opt for a tent within which one can stand, for that length of stay.

The RIAT glamping does seem a suitable answer if one can accept the price.

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

The point that I was trying to put across guys was that if there's "no room at the inn", then glamping is the next best option for me. Okay it costs a bit more than what you would normally pay at Totterdown, but at the end of the day it's camping on site with everything laid on and decent facilities, but without all the drudgery that goes with it (and hopefully away from the rabble too :whistle: ).
Last edited by Roughcutter on Mon 28 Aug 2017, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Roughcutter wrote:The point that I was trying to put across guys was that if there's "no room at the inn", then glamping is the next best option for me. Okay it costs a bit more than what you would normally pay, but at the end of the day it's camping on site with everything laid on and decent facilities, but without all the drudgery that goes with it (and hopefully away from the rabble too :whistle: ).

'ok it costs a bit more...'. Than what??! It's a smidge over £18 quid a night! It's dirt cheap by any standards, let alone a site right on top of a major international event. As I said earlier, it's fantastic value for money. I really don't see how you can argue otherwise.

Unless Dom meant it was £110 per night, in which case clearly it a rip off. ;-) :-P

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

We now stay self-catering; on a par financially with staying in a hotel and much more flexible. We had a fantastic flat in Cirencester this year. Cost was £700 for a week - two double bedrooms, large lounge etc, fantastic location, looking forward to going back next year. :smile:

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

CJS wrote:
Roughcutter wrote:The point that I was trying to put across guys was that if there's "no room at the inn", then glamping is the next best option for me. Okay it costs a bit more than what you would normally pay, but at the end of the day it's camping on site with everything laid on and decent facilities, but without all the drudgery that goes with it (and hopefully away from the rabble too :whistle: ).

'ok it costs a bit more...'. Than what??! It's a smidge over £18 quid a night! It's dirt cheap by any standards, let alone a site right on top of a major international event. As I said earlier, it's fantastic value for money. I really don't see how you can argue otherwise.

Unless Dom meant it was £110 per night, in which case clearly it a rip off. ;-) :-P

I think the £110 was for the week from the Wednesday night right through to the following Tuesday (per head)? :smile:

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Roughcutter wrote:
CJS wrote:

I think the £110 was for the week from the Wednesday night right through to the following Tuesday (per head)? :smile:

It was for Tuesday - Sunday nights leaving Monday morning

Lighning Fan

Post by Lighning Fan »

Have you tried air bnb ? You may get lucky in some of the surrounding villages for the airshow dates