photobucket alternative

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
speedbird2639

Re: photobucket alternative

Post by speedbird2639 »

You can get rid of the adverts on all sites by installing adblock.

You used to be able to do this for all sites. But now they are getting wise to it and blocking you if have an adblocker activated. The Parkers car review site is one such site - until recently they put up a message bemoaning that they had detected an adblocker and that they relied on ad revenue to exist but you could close that and carry on. Now they display a box which obscures most of the screen and requires you to switch off the adblocker for their site before you can continue to navigate on the site.

We shall see if the adblocker app people have anyway of blocking the new message on these sites and enabling you to continue without disabling the adblocker facility - its a bit like a very low level arms race!

tache3
UKAR Supporter

Post by tache3 »

Yahoo (who own Flickr) are now part of something called 'Oath' which becomes active in September 2017 as part of the deal with Verizon (the US telecommunications company) that Yahoo struck a year or so ago. Logging onto Flickr now opens a dialogue box informing the user that data is about to be passed on to the new company.

How long before Verizon start to 'moneytize' this service I wonder...?

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Hi Folks,

Scabbed this from another forum, The chap say it works for him. Installed it on my machine and it works fine too.

Dear fellow forum members,

It seems someone wrote an app for google chrome that, when installed, will rid you of those damn photobucket P500 upgrade rectangles and will allow you to see the embedded photos again in older posts.

How to use ?
0. Use google chrome as your browser
1. Go here:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... jjgj?hl=en

2. Install the plugin.
3. Clear your browser image cache (click the three dots at the top right in your browser bar - then click advanced, go to the "privacy and security" bit, "clear browser data" should be the last item in the window, then select "cached images and files" and clear the cache)

Just to be clear - this is something YOU have to do if YOU want to see the pictures - for everyone else who surfs to the topic and uses a different browser or doesn't have the app installed, it will still show the photobucket upgrade mess. The original posters of the topics can do nothing about it.

I can only say that for me it works splendid !
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

But nobody else can see it, so what's the point?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Well it may help some people. I won't bother me hole in future Mr Cheese.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

It doesn't serve any purpose on a forum intended for sharing photos - if the "solution" is that only you can see them, you might as well leave them on your hard drive and save yourself the bother of uploading pics, installing chrome extensions and apps.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

sdad

Post by sdad »

I think you are missing George's point. He is trying to help those who wish to view (everyone), not (just) those who wish to post.

stickshaker

Post by stickshaker »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:It doesn't serve any purpose on a forum intended for sharing photos - if the "solution" is that only you can see them, you might as well leave them on your hard drive and save yourself the bother of uploading pics, installing chrome extensions and apps.

The add-ons let anyone viewing the posts see all of those old photobucket pictures which at the moment only show grey warnings. You can still post photobucket links as before, and anyone with the add-ons installed will be able to view them. They work for me in Firefox and Chrome but not found anything yet for Safari.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefo ... ucket-fix/

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... 2490107700

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Just tried the Firefox add-on, and yes it works on old photobucket images posted on here...so a big :up: for that. :clap:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

CJS

Post by CJS »

Can anyone explain why I can still use pb the same as I ever could? In other words why haven't my images on here not disappeared like other'? Does photobucket realise how rubbish they are and not bother? :-P
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"