Dunsfold Wings & Wheels 2017

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
K213

Re: Dunsfold Wings & Wheels 2017

Post by K213 »

Weather looking good - sitting in glorious sunshine (for once).

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

What time is the Hurricane on today?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

It's down in the programme for the first slot (11:45-14:00), will let you know if hear a more accurate time.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Thanks.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

ted633

Post by ted633 »

Well, what can I say about yesterday. A thoroughly enjoyable, relaxed day. Although that's got to be the hottest I've got sitting on an airfield for a good couple of years! Getting out was even fairing painless, taking just half hour even though I was right at the front of the car park. As for the flying, great variety and all very well flown, especially Rich Goodwin doing a short pairs display (ish) with one of the Brooklands cars. The Blades can't seem to catch a break though, with Blade 1 having a tech issue half way through, with the display continuing as a 3 ship.
VC-10 engine runs were great, heard the first one from the other end of the crowd line when they took the engines up a bit, so went to watch the afternoon run. I work with airliners today and have never heard anything as loud as that, I must admit it was actually slightly painful!
Only downside to the day was that I sat near the 'Wall of Death' which had a ridiculously loud PA, completely drowning out the commentary.
I suppose an additional downside was that this was my last show this year, have to wait till next year now!

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Again, over emphasis on the Typhoon being noisy etc. There have been for decades and still are, ranks of High Performance very noisy jets! Why is the Typhoon held in such reverence? :question: :cuppa:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

ted633 wrote: Although that's got to be the hottest I've got sitting on an airfield for a good couple of years!

Yes, I saw a couple of people being treated for heat stroke as well.

The event as a whole was a very nice and relaxed day, plenty to keep you entertained whatever your interests :smile: RAF Puma arriving for the static on Saturday was a pleasant surprise, as was its departure and flypast. Was it in the static park on Sunday too?

patrouille2001

Post by patrouille2001 »

ted633 wrote:Well, what can I say about yesterday. A thoroughly enjoyable, relaxed day. Although that's got to be the hottest I've got sitting on an airfield for a good couple of years! Getting out was even fairing painless, taking just half hour even though I was right at the front of the car park. As for the flying, great variety and all very well flown, especially Rich Goodwin doing a short pairs display (ish) with one of the Brooklands cars. The Blades can't seem to catch a break though, with Blade 1 having a tech issue half way through, with the display continuing as a 3 ship.
VC-10 engine runs were great, heard the first one from the other end of the crowd line when they took the engines up a bit, so went to watch the afternoon run. I work with airliners today and have never heard anything as loud as that, I must admit it was actually slightly painful!
Only downside to the day was that I sat near the 'Wall of Death' which had a ridiculously loud PA, completely drowning out the commentary.
I suppose an additional downside was that this was my last show this year, have to wait till next year now!

I was in the grandstand yesterday and that bloody wall of death commentary was all over the war birds, Grrrr, Apart from that really good day

melvyn hiscock

Post by melvyn hiscock »

I would suggest you contact the show and advise them of that. It is, after all, an airshow and car show with side shows supporting that.

Get onto the various social media pages and tell them what you think. I can assure you it DOES get listened to and will get acted upon

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Was down the other end today, but seem to recall that Wall of Death being quite annoying last year too.

Had a great time at the show today, have no real interest in cars but love the format of Dunsfold, the motoring segments giving a great opportunity for a bit of lunch and a rest from the flying, which on a hot day like today is much needed. Will save most of my thoughts for the UKAR review, but seeing his name on the post above I just wanted to thank Melvyn for a great commentary today with Brendan, added so much fun and wisdom to the displays and day as a whole.

ted633

Post by ted633 »

melvyn hiscock wrote:I would suggest you contact the show and advise them of that. It is, after all, an airshow and car show with side shows supporting that.

Get onto the various social media pages and tell them what you think. I can assure you it DOES get listened to and will get acted upon

Already done so. An additional thank you from me to yourself & Brendan for the brilliant, informative & at times very amusing commentary. Dunsfold would not be same without the pair of you doing so :clap:

melvyn hiscock

Post by melvyn hiscock »

Finningley Boy wrote:Again, over emphasis on the Typhoon being noisy etc. There have been for decades and still are, ranks of High Performance very noisy jets! Why is the Typhoon held in such reverence? :question: :cuppa:

The Typhoon isn't held in 'such reverence' it was simply the only really noisy jet we had and we warned about the Apache pyros as well. Sorry you don't like that, but it is part of the duty of care of the airshows organisers.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

melvyn hiscock wrote:
Finningley Boy wrote:Again, over emphasis on the Typhoon being noisy etc. There have been for decades and still are, ranks of High Performance very noisy jets! Why is the Typhoon held in such reverence? :question: :cuppa:

The Typhoon isn't held in 'such reverence' it was simply the only really noisy jet we had and we warned about the Apache pyros as well. Sorry you don't like that, but it is part of the duty of care of the airshows organisers.

How times have changed indeed, it would have been interesting, back in the day, to see the current sensitivities over 'duty of care' when aircraft of a truly noisy nature filled up much more of the programme. Indeed, I could stand corrected again, I often do, but I don't recall anyone in the commentary team at Yeovilton and Fairford (the last two decent air shows on the British mainland) this year pointing out with the same level of heightened concern as was the case at Eastbourne certainly, the crazy level of decibels expected by those aircraft which would fall into that particular category?

As you say, the Typhoon was your only true fast jet this year, so does this mean less content equals more of a fuss! As I've posted elsewhere, the Red Arrows have long lost their magic, not their fault so much as ever more restrictions, most of the display locations now for air traffic reasons constrict them to a flat/rolling show! This is to dilute their displays sequence, but the way their own commentator whips the punters into a clapping cheering frenzy, or at least tries, you wouldn't think so. Often when I post on the UKAR threads I do get a sense of being a pain, one of these chaps who always bangs on about how different it was in the Jurassic Period, but honestly, there is such a stark difference between now and I'd say 12 years ago when the rot really started to set in. The UK was until then the most prolific nation with regard the number of and impressive content regarding air shows generally. At that point, 2005, the number of ex-Cold war military types able to display were growing in private hands, the RAF still had a wide range of high performance types to line up on the display circuit. Another thing, across the board, the famine not the feast is really starting to show as far as the actual quantity of display flying items is concerned. Just a handful of years ago, 20 to 25 or more items could be expected at a display like Dunsfold or Eastbourne, that's what Yeovilton now struggles to put together. RIAT at its peak had a programme of 60 items in 1997, each day that is. Now smaller shows struggle to attract 15 or so items yet still stretch to 4 or 5 hours some how. I realise the increased difficulties faced now courtesy of the CAA, MAA, RAF etc, but could do with rather more realistic and measured commentary, we are where we are, and indeed, having lived through the feast we're definitely, UK side least ways, experiencing the famine!

DirtyFokker

Post by DirtyFokker »

Wings and Wheels was very good this year. I like the format of the show, and the commentary is enjoyable :clap:. Great photo opportunities were had:

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Another question, has the aerodrome been sold yet? So the property developers can build loads of new homes for the ridiculously rich to buy up, rent out or leave empty, just so long as they're on the portfolio?

Next question, in light of the above question, is there expected to be a Dunsfold Wings and Wheels next year? Here's a suggestion, any chance of finding a new venue? One which doesn't sit inside the SID/STAR of a busy airport? :cuppa:

planenuttoo

Post by planenuttoo »

Finningley Boy wrote:Another question, has the aerodrome been sold yet? So the property developers can build loads of new homes for the ridiculously rich to buy up, rent out or leave empty, just so long as they're on the portfolio?

I love aircraft, fast jets, and enjoy the pyro's, but from my vantage point on Sunday. the noise of those explosions echoed around the hills and woods and left me in no doubt how the locals would view the development of the airfield, if it were a nice new "village".

ted633

Post by ted633 »

Finningley Boy wrote:
Next question, in light of the above question, is there expected to be a Dunsfold Wings and Wheels next year? Here's a suggestion, any chance of finding a new venue? One which doesn't sit inside the SID/STAR of a busy airport? :cuppa:

Date had been set (announced via facebook) for the Saturday & Sunday of the August Bank holiday next year. As for a venue that isn't within a SID/STAR of a busy airport, good luck with that in the south east of England!

ted633

Post by ted633 »

melvyn hiscock wrote:I would suggest you contact the show and advise them of that. It is, after all, an airshow and car show with side shows supporting that.

Got a reply this afternoon as follows:

We repeatedly spoke to them over the weekend and they wouldn't compromise on turning it down so we are unlikely to have them back next year.
If we do (or a different company) we will definitely be moving them.

frank

Post by frank »

Finningley Boy wrote:Another question, has the aerodrome been sold yet? So the property developers can build loads of new homes for the ridiculously rich to buy up, rent out or leave empty, just so long as they're on the portfolio?

This was on my mind too. I was speaking to a local resident at the show and she seemed to think that there is a problem with building of homes on the site due to contaminated land that would be too expensive to remedy. I was of course delighted to hear this though she didn't really understand why I would be so happy with this news.
I do stress the words "she seemed to think". If others know different or can confirm what I heard please do respond
Frank

andrewn

Post by andrewn »

ted633 wrote:

Got a reply this afternoon as follows:

We repeatedly spoke to them over the weekend and they wouldn't compromise on turning it down so we are unlikely to have them back next year.
If we do (or a different company) we will definitely be moving them.

Perhaps in a majority of one but I thought the Wall of Death was brilliant - admittedly I wasn't standing next to it all day so the issues described didnt affect me

andrewn

Post by andrewn »

frank wrote:

This was on my mind too. I was speaking to a local resident at the show and she seemed to think that there is a problem with building of homes on the site due to contaminated land that would be too expensive to remedy. I was of course delighted to hear this though she didn't really understand why I would be so happy with this news.
I do stress the words "she seemed to think". If others know different or can confirm what I heard please do respond
Frank

quite agree Frank - that would be so sad (NOT) if the land happened to be contaminated. First time I'd been to Dunsfold and I was struck by what a fantastic venue it was - another nail in the coffin of airshows in this country if this one gets turned over to the greedy Developers.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Well the organisers are sufficiently confident to list on the Calendar for 2018 the dates, 25th and 26th!

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Dunsfold is owned by the developers, has been for years.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

Not quite, the land is owned by Trinity College, Cambridge with the developers managing the site in a partnership scheme: http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/local-news/dunsfold-park-sold-cambridge-college-6650412

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

cheers for the update
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”