Gatow Museum

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Gatow Museum

Post by Wissam24 »

On a recent family trip to Berlin I felt I had to visit Gatow Museum. While it was a 30 minute taxi ride, it was well worth it - superb museum which really does highlight the differences in the fleets of East and West Germanies. Funny museum, totally free (I even got a free guidebook from the desk staff), everything is laid out in a funny old order, but all very well presented. It was my first time using my new 50-100mm f1.8 and 18-35mm f1.8 lenses - while my head certainly wasn't int he right mode for these new ranges, they were good fun to use.

I'd recommend this to anyone going to Berlin.

ImageWest German F-86F Sabre by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageFrench Air Force Super Mystere by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageWest German F-104 Starfighter by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageEast German Il-28 Beagle by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageWest German Piaggio P.149 by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageEast German L-39 Albatros by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageEast German L-29 Delphin and L-39 Albatros by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageEast German Mig-23UB Flogger and MiG-21UB Fished (Mongol) by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageWest German Air Force G.91 Gina by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageGerman Air Force Canberra by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageWest German Sycamore by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageHawker Sea Hawk by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageF-104 Starfighter with ZELL booster by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageWest German Air Force Percival Pembroke by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageEast German Air Force Mi-4 Hare by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageFrench Air Force Meteor NF11 by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageEast German Air Force MiG-21bis Fishbed by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageEast german Su-22 Fitter and MiG-23 Flogger by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageLightning and Flogger by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageWest German Air Force T-33 Shooting Star and East German Air Force MiG-21UB Fishbed (Mongol) by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageWest German Fighters by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageEast German Air Force Mi-17 Hip by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageGerman Navy Do-28 by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageWest German Air Force RF-84F Thunderflash by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageEast German Air Force MiG-21bis Fishbed by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageEast German Air Force Su-22 Fitter and MiG-21bis Fishbed by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageEast German Mi-24D Hind and Mi-24P Hind by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageWest German Air Force G.91 by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageEast German MiG-23 Flogger and Su-22 Fitter by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageRAF Harrier GR1 by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageEast German MiG-17 Fresco by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageCzechoslovak MiG-15 by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageFighters at Gatow by Sam Wise, on Flickr
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Re: Gatow Museum

Post by jalfrezi »

Thanks for posting, what were the hangars like, any good stuff?

The East German Mi-4 is very nice :up:

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Well only one hangar was open while we were there which was mostly the West German side of things, but it was very good (Sycamore, Magister, Fulcrum, Phantom, Tornado among others) plus exhibits.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Wissam24 wrote:Well only one hangar was open while we were there which was mostly the West German side of things, but it was very good (Sycamore, Magister, Fulcrum, Phantom, Tornado among others) plus exhibits.

Thanks Sam, I will add it to my list!

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Wissam24 wrote:On a recent family trip to Berlin I felt I had to visit Gatow Museum. While it was a 30 minute taxi ride, it was well worth it - superb museum which really does highlight the differences in the fleets of East and West Germanies. Funny museum, totally free (I even got a free guidebook from the desk staff), everything is laid out in a funny old order, but all very well presented. It was my first time using my new 50-100mm f1.8 and 18-35mm f1.8 lenses - while my head certainly wasn't int he right mode for these new ranges, they were good fun to use.

I'd recommend this to anyone going to Berlin.
Next time, take the U Bahn to Rathaus Spandau (U2 IIRC), and then the bus to Seekorso. A lot cheaper.

Info I got when I was there during the ILA weekend last year (source was the head of the restoration department), was that the museum was going through a complete rethink of its contents (doesn't sound good, isn't it?). It would widen its focus into all forces, not only Airforces (that is why the name Luftwaffenmuseum has been officially dropped). A lot of aircraft would go all over the country on long term loans. (At that time the 4 squadron Hunter was being prepared to go to Weeze.) I think that is why they had only one hangar open during your visit. Comparing the number of aircraft on display between 1996 and 2016, there were already notably less. (On the other hand, during that weekend they ran tours through the restoration compound and their storage site (including the Tornado prototype))
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Yes I very much got the impression that something was being reworked. Could've loved to trawl through the storage area.

Not sure why only one hangar was open as they did point out that the other one had a WWI exhibition on, so clearly it's open at the moment.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

I went in 2012 and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately the photos from my post at the time have now been removed by Boto*ucket :roll:

Thanks for the post which shows that a number of exhibits have at least moved around (and possibly removed). Without wanting to hijack your thread, here are just three from my visit. Not all bad news at it would seem that the Pembroke has been restored or repainted in the interim. Is the Hansa Jet still there?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/X99gLP]Image

[url=https://flic.kr/p/X6Kccs]Image

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Y7sQxs]Image

Andy

hmeasures

Post by hmeasures »

Wissam24 wrote:Yes I very much got the impression that something was being reworked. Could've loved to trawl through the storage area.

Not sure why only one hangar was open as they did point out that the other one had a WWI exhibition on, so clearly it's open at the moment.

When I was there in February the second hangar for the WWI exhibition was empty/unfinished, leaving just the 1 hangar open.

Still a good museum.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

The Hansa jet is right by the entrance now

wallace

Post by wallace »

One of my favourite places. I noticed the DDR helicopters are out on the grass now. They were on the apron wen I was there in July.

The hangar by the Atlantique/Sea Hawk has a handful of aircraft, a Chipmunk, a Storch and some helicopters, if I mind right. The hangar where the Rocket F-104 is located is undergoing restoration, the floor was being re-screeded while I was there.

The Tonka with the special tail was towed into the restoration hangar. Likewise I'd love to get a tour of the place.

I'd second the comments about the bus. An unlimited Zone C travel pass, about 9 Euro will work out much better than a taxi fare.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

wallace wrote:I'd second the comments about the bus. An unlimited Zone C travel pass, about 9 Euro will work out much better than a taxi fare.
According to the Museum, Zone A-B is enough. Well, it depends on where else you want to go during your trip. For example, Schoenefeld is in Zone C, I think Potsdam is Zone C, but if you plan Gatow to be the farthest from the city-center you will get...
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

wallace

Post by wallace »

If need be, I'll stand corrected on that one as I traveled from Schoenefeld, which is in Zone C to Gatow via Potsdam.

Bottom line is cheap as chips and good public transport, all be it with a 1km or walk from the bus top to the Airfield.

BVG have an app for the phone that's excellent for planing travel around Berlin, only failed me once and that was because of lack of a phone signal.