The Scottish International Airshow (Ayr seafront) 2017

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
Unknown74

Re: The Scottish International Airshow (Ayr seafront) 2017

Post by Unknown74 »

Unfortunately it's the way things are nowadays, operational commitments have obviously meant the Navy are required elsewhere, also with the age of the Aircraft like the Lancaster and BBMF Fleet they have to make absolutely sure that these fine old Aircraft are fit to fly before they can go to whichever venue they have to go to.

It's the same with The Rescue Helicopters, I remember well with the Navy and RAF etc a few times just before they were due to display - a fine example being Ayr in 2015 we were waiting for the Sea King's final display from HMS Gannet and it never turned up, turned out that a few minutes before they had received a call out and unable to display due to being on a "shout".

Commando

Post by Commando »

Typhoon X 2
Belgian F16 X2 arrived this morning

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

Lots of moaning about yesterday on social media, which I think is a bit unfair. I heard from one of the volunteers that the beach assault exercise was canned because South Ayrshire Council didn't okay it, and had actually pulled out of public liability insurance for the site as a whole. It wasn't simply a problem with the Navy being too skint/busy/tricky to deal with.

Moaners also seem upset that the Typhoon had a technical issue, even though we got most of a good display. Were we robbed of a dirty pass perhaps? Who cares! People feel entitled to a full display even if the aircraft is tech! Likewise the SAR display was canned because they had some actual search and rescue commitments. They've cancelled again today, and people are moaning again. They've been out most of the night apparently, so one or two cretins have posted photographs of the SAR hangar at Prestwick to prove that they are there. Again the sense of entitlement and general moaning about a free airshow is totally unnecessary.

I made the fortuitous mistake of not acquiring a programme and not really paying attention to what was/was not meant to be appearing, so I had a great time as various aircraft displayed as I didn't know what was coming next. I really enjoyed seeing the Loganair Saab getting thrown around quite a bit, and the KC135 was great to see if surprisingly quiet.

Heidfirst

Post by Heidfirst »

Alanko wrote: I heard from one of the volunteers that the beach assault exercise was canned because South Ayrshire Council didn't okay it,

Not true, it was all planned until a week or so ago - why else would the organisers have arranged for £10k worth of pyro?

and had actually pulled out of public liability insurance for the site as a whole.

well, they did have their name removed from the event liability insurance certificate but presumably they have their own liability insurance anyway (especially as the Low Green site is theirs).

Likewise the SAR display was canned because they had some actual search and rescue commitments. They've cancelled again today, and people are moaning again. They've been out most of the night apparently, so one or two cretins have posted photographs of the SAR hangar at Prestwick to prove that they are there.
Yesterday the chopper got called away early afaik & the RNLI never got into the bay, today the RNLI showed up in the bay, swanned around for a bit & then disappeared (didn't have scanner so don't know whether they got a shout edit: apparently they did or the helicopter got a shout & the RNLI weren't going to do any form of display without the helo).

I made the fortuitous mistake of not acquiring a programme and not really paying attention to what was/was not meant to be appearing, so I had a great time as various aircraft displayed as I didn't know what was coming next. I really enjoyed seeing the Loganair Saab getting thrown around quite a bit, and the KC135 was great to see if surprisingly quiet.

Minimums too poor today for quite a few things incl the KC135 - you could hear him above the cloud though at 1 point.
Last edited by Heidfirst on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Commando

Post by Commando »

The 135 did a cloud break ILS to Prestwick overshot and RTB Mildenhall

Commando

Post by Commando »

Happy new year,2018s event is 1st and 2nd September and the first aircraft was announced today a Swiss F18 terrific capture :yahoo: