The Victory Show 2017

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Re: The Victory Show 2017

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

sdad wrote:When and where do they publish the flying schedule?

http://www.thevictoryshow.co.uk/index.p ... y/aircraft

If you are after timings, I saw a bit of information on Facebook that the battle reenactment is 2pm, and the flying display usually follows that.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

BBMF just posted their timings for the weekend and the Lancaster is due at Cosby tomorrow at 14:50! And just a Hurricane at 14:50 on Sunday.

Awesome to get the Lancaster, just keeping my fingers crossed for some decent weather.

B_Tank88

Post by B_Tank88 »

Weather looks terrible unfortunately so I'm gonna have to pass :sad:

This is my closest airshow as well. All the best for whoever attends!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ukairshowreview/status/906463197997264896[/tweet]
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ukairshowreview/status/906463901063241728[/tweet]

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Announced by the Flying Display Director himself - the CAA put in requirements for pilots to comply with - a pilot flew the display in a Spitfire last night and said what the Display pilots were required to do by the CAA was completely unsafe

All flying Cancelled - FDD says he and his team have been fighting CAA since last night and all this morning.

Runway out of action atm due to weather - no aircraft have flown in other than the Ace's High C-47 which came yesterday.

Fair play to the FDD - he came along the fence line himself with his crew and apologised & explained to as many people as they could.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Ridiculous.

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Do we have any information on in what way "completely unsafe"?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I don't want to be quoted verbatim but one of the crew (not the FDD) said that Cosby golf course was classed as a "congested area" by the CAA, and aircraft had to avoid it or be 1,000 feet above it - he said the only thing that could be 1000 feet over the golf course from the display height would need afterburners.

Number of other issues, too - I'm only reporting what crew and FDD have said.

They want to get the C-47 up to do the parachute drop at least but there's a small dip at the one end of the runway which has too much water in it to be safe, apparently.

Bit steep for those of us who travelled here and paid our £18.

Least we have tanks and model planes to look at... :-X

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

IP1960 wrote:Do we have any information on in what way "completely unsafe"?

I would suspect something along the lines of a tiny amount of airspace, probably dodging no-fly zones and minimum heights the CAA have specified, so more time spent avoiding areas and jumping through hoops than actually flying the aircraft and the display safely.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

vulcan558 is going to be a bit sweary when he gets back - he was on here a few days ago mocking the Scampton show and pointing out how he Victory show was going to be a far superior product!

:snack:

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Thanks both above, shame for the organisers as well as the paying public who are already inside. I had hoped last years issues had been sorted but appears new ones have surfaced. Was looking forward to my visit tomorrow - not so much now :sad:

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

speedbird2639 wrote:vulcan558 is going to be a bit sweary when he gets back - he was on here a few days ago mocking the Scampton show and pointing out how he Victory show was going to be a far superior product!

:snack:

Not at all, cannot fault the team, its the CAA,
not fun for anyone to have the flying pulled on the morning of the event.

They know the event and had no problems in the past.
The Victory show have met all guidelines. The CAA seem to move the goal post when they want.

The shows been going for a decade or more so there is more to this then as been told.

Are we seeing the slow back door to privatisation of Airshows.

Speedbird, if the flying went ahead and the shows battle on the ground then for the money it would be better value then scampton.
The battle show is still on as per normal so still a nice event. The flying displays just complimented the show.

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

Balls! Just when the weather for tomorrow was looking a bit better too. Bloody CAA, won't be content all they Cancel All Airshows.

Feel really sorry for the organisers and FDD :sad:

B_Tank88

Post by B_Tank88 »

Omg what a disaster :(

Sympathies for everyone at the event. I could hear a really beasty engine yesterday evening from Earl Shilton not far away must have been the Spitfire in question.

The future for air shows seems really bad :(

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Seems that a very experienced pilot flew the new CAA guidlines and was not happy with the display lines.
Having spoke to the other pilots they all decided it was not safe to display at the Victory show,
So the Decision this morning wax to cancel the flying display part of the show,

Think its down to the CAA moving the flight lines again, pushing the display from open fields over or closer to Cosby village.

Guess its very similar to Farnborough being pushed out to far, why certain items will not display there.
Red arrows etc, would say they are very experienced pilots to make a decision over CAA guidlines.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Incidentally enough, at a time when we should be watching the flying display, despite weather predictions, light is currently excellent. :wall:

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Yes nice sunny areas, the odd sharp shower soon blow over.
The event team have done well with some of the muddy areas with straw bales.

B_Tank88

Post by B_Tank88 »

vulcan558 wrote:Seems that a very experienced pilot flew the new CAA guidlines and was not happy with the display lines.
Having spoke to the other pilots they all decided it was not safe to display at the Victory show,
So the Decision this morning wax to cancel the flying display part of the show,

Think its down to the CAA moving the flight lines again, pushing the display from open fields over or closer to Cosby village.

Guess its very similar to Farnborough being pushed out to far, why certain items will not display there.
Red arrows etc, would say they are very experienced pilots to make a decision over CAA guidlines.

Isn't the whole point the CAA is putting these rules down for introducing safety?

How can that be the case when pilots are saying the new rules aren't safe. It doesn't make sense.

SilentFlight

Post by SilentFlight »

Folks as the FDD today I feel slightly better reading your comments. It is gutting for all involved and not an easy decision to make. The lonely and isolated feeling you get when you have to weigh up the pros and the cons of cancelling or continuing is not a nice place to be. The Display area is tight and the CAA were working this morning to assist and were helpful, but the predicted weather, coupled with wet ground and some other factors tipped the balance of the point, too far.

The Cosby organisers have done a superb job, the ground side is still worth visiting even for you hardened Aviation fans.

SF

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Let's be honest, the CAA really won't be happy until every airshow is gone.

You have to feel for the Victory Show. Worked their socks off to put together a good, safe show after last year, only to find out at the eleventh hour that because of the ever-moving goalposts their best wasn't good enough.

Witchcraft24

Post by Witchcraft24 »

What hyperbolic nonsense Mr O Hagan.

The post from Silentflight suggests that there may be more to it than the CAA regulations, but I'll wait for all the facts.

If that is the case, then so far only Old Sarum, of the larger shows,is the only one that was cancelled due to being unable to provide a suitable display area. Hardly the death of air shows.

Witchcraft24

Post by Witchcraft24 »

Hoping that the Cosby Victory Air Display returns in 2018
Last edited by Witchcraft24 on Sat 09 Sep 2017, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Let's be honest, the CAA really won't be happy until every airshow is gone.

Dan O'Hagan wrote:hopefully whenever there's airshows in the media they'll come to me for a break from the hysteria.

Nope, still don't get it :dunno:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Pringles wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:Let's be honest, the CAA really won't be happy until every airshow is gone.

Dan O'Hagan wrote:hopefully whenever there's airshows in the media they'll come to me for a break from the hysteria.

Nope, still don't get it :dunno:

Indeed, but I still don't get why you spend time out of your presumably busy day to trawl through historic posts of another user. It may feel like a "hah" type of move to you, but it just looks really petty, tbh.

I get it - DanO is incendiary to some. Just because there is someone who's opinion you disagree with or whom you may find incorrigible doesn't obligate you to make a comment every single time - you're straying off topic for reasons which are of no real value to you, this forum, or anyone else, so why?

I find DanO's above comment rather OTT, but as is frequent with his posts, there are crumbs of truth to it - but that doesn't mean a I have to argue with him about it or his tone...

Anyway, what i came here to say is that I have complete sympathy with the FDD and Show organisers, but I think it's incredibly poor of them not to have used all channels to advertise the cancellation for this egoing tomorrow - their social media outlets are (as far as I've seen) silent. General public who wouldn't know to check UKAR might pay £20 tomorrow only to find out that there's no flying. That's really poor. :down: