Sea King at Lee Airfield 7th September 2017

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings

XP282

Re: Sea King at Lee Airfield 7th September 2017

Post by XP282 »

Nice photos. The aircraft looks great in those markings. I think the people looking at modern military would like to see these pics! Seems a shame to have them 'hidden' in general aviation!!

FastJetsBest

Post by FastJetsBest »

XP282 wrote:Nice photos. The aircraft looks great in those markings. I think the people looking at modern military would like to see these pics! Seems a shame to have them 'hidden' in general aviation!!

Thanks, good idea I will put them in there as well.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

I've moved the original thread for you Richard - no need for duplicate topics and as it has a military serial, this is the right forum for it.

Lovely to see btw, and I like the colour scheme.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

What a stunner! :heyhey:

Lumix

Post by Lumix »

Very smart! Is this to remain active at L-o-S. Just curious.

FastJetsBest

Post by FastJetsBest »

Lumix wrote:Very smart! Is this to remain active at L-o-S. Just curious.

Nope, will be based a Portland. There will be two Sea Kings active for training. Guess they came into Lee for handling/training.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-41173311

sdad

Post by sdad »

Who/what are "Heli Operations" and if not MoD, why the military serial?

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

They have an initial Contract to train German Navy Sea King SAR crews, but worldwide Customers going forward.
On BBC South (Tues 5th) it was stated that the Local Authority for Weymouth & Portland are deliberating whether they need a Planning Application for 'Change of Use' from MCA Helicopter Operations to a Helicopter SAR Training Base??? Bloody People!
Meanwhile, the Jurassic Skyline Tower jammed-up near the top trapping 11 people for 7 hours, as reported on the same news programme! All eleven persons were eventually rescued by winching-off by MCA helicopter, which had to leave the scene to refuel at Bournemouth Airport. :oops:
Bizzarely, the Portland base which is currently vacant is JUST 2.9 miles away from the rescue! :facepalm:
It's bad enough they lost the MCA helicopter from this location, but in the event of potential drowning casualties this situation could be tragic. Get the base open for 'Heli Operations' & the chance to 'Gas-an-Go' asap.
PS:- It'll be a great location for Sea King shots too! :whistle:

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Stagger,
Although i would love it if all former SAR bases were still in use as SAR bases, the fact is the new equipment is better and faster than what has gone before. Considering how close Lee and Portland are, i am really surprised that the 2 bases lasted so long together. It may have been a 7 hour rescue, but how long were they up there after SAR became involved? Having to go for fuel sounds to me like they were elsewhere prior to attending to those in the tower who i believe were not in great danger.

From what ive seen at work and the pictures from this rescue, these guys are doing a fantastic job and should be given the credit they are due!

For the OP, great to see the Sea King having a role to play for other countries and well caught and looking forward to more.
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Okay, here's the unfortunate timeline!
14:00 Ride gets stuck. 16:00 Operators can't fix the back-up power & call the Fire Brigade. They attend from 4 locations, but the aerial platform is 6 metres too short of the Gondola, 17:00 MCA called :tumbleweed:
18:00 Helicopter arrives in the overhead & starts recovery. 21:30 Last person rescued from the Gondola! A mere 3.5 hours??
My point remains that no matter how good & how fast they are, if you're 'treading water' it would be great to have a place near the coast where they can get aviation fuel & rescue your ass.
To site this Heli-Operations company at Portland would provide that facility at no cost to the MCA. Win/win when the day of reckoning comes.
Richard Drax, the Dorset MP has now chimed-in stating that having the former MCA base occupied by Heli-Op' would be good for employment, future international business & the 'refuel' opportunity I previously stated.
PS:- The Sea King might be slow, but it can carry many more people when it really matters! :wink:

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

I wonder which organization picks up the most casualties when they are treading water? Would it be the RNLI or the SAR boys? I would hazard a guess that the RNLI pic n pack and the SAR carry out the delivery if required.

And would Portland be available to the SAR guys all hours? If the locals aint there would they be able to use the facilities?

Someone made a suggestion at my work along those lines and its a nightmare that aint worth it. Until 2 days ago, we only gave SAR S-92s hot fuelling but Sea King and Merlin have been added to the list!

As for the Sea King carrying more, well towards the end, it would have to get off the ground in the first place!
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

sdad

Post by sdad »

sdad wrote:Who/what are "Heli Operations" and if not MoD, why the military serial?

Should appreciate any details, please.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Google is still your friend! Type Heli Operations Ltd, for everything. :wink:
Extract here answers your first points...

Sea Kings to Take Flight Once Again
On 10th Aug 2017 in News,Search and Rescue,Training
Two helicopters which were once used for Royal Navy Search and Rescue will be put back in action again with help from HeliOperations. HeliOps are proud to be featured on the Royal Naval website, unveiling our partnership with the Ministry of Defence.The Ministry of Defence have leased us two Sea King Mk5 aircrafts which will be used to train aircrew in the German Navy in search and rescue skills. This isn’t the first time these Sea Kings have operated in a life-saving role, previously having been used by 771 Naval Air Squadron in rescue missions across Cornwall. These aircraft that were once a familiar sight in the Cornwall skies will look a lot different than the previous times they were in use. Having recently undergone a full respray to our own feature HeliOperations colours and logo. The Sea Kings will be operating out of our Portland base in Dorest until September 2018, so keep your eyes on the skies and see if you can find one of our HeliOps branded aircraft flying by.
HTH.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Oh! They're ZA166 & XV666 as pictured, anticipating the next question. Painted at Fleetlands nearby to Lee-on-Solent, hence why it's been seen there I suspect?

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Excellent shots again Richard! You are certainly getting regular visits...& the Sea King comes there sometimes too! :whistle:

NickB

Post by NickB »

Lovely pics - I caught '666 on it's maiden flight (only a 20ft hover really) at CU on the 1st Aug at 11am.

Judging by the arm patch in the first pic, the German crews are already on board...

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Very nice to see :clap:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

Hawkkeeper

Post by Hawkkeeper »

Both of those SK's have revisited their old stamping ground after being rebuilt & flight tested.

FastJetsBest

Post by FastJetsBest »

Just to add onto this post, Heli Operations was flying a different Sea King into Lee airfield today.

Shooting into the sun, so not the best pictures.

Sea King Lee on Solent Airfield 2017 (2) by Richard Davies, on Flickr

Sea King Lee on Solent Airfield 2017 by Richard Davies, on Flickr

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Well caught Richard. Anybody have an identity for this 'Junglie'? I didn't know they were planning to fly this type of Sea King?

Trenethick

Post by Trenethick »

Stagger2 wrote:Well caught Richard. Anybody have an identity for this 'Junglie'? I didn't know they were planning to fly this type of Sea King?

One of the airframes that has been sold to Pakistan

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Thanks for that. Didn't know much about that until I Googled it! ( See 'sdad'.... I can take my own advice too!)
There seems to be a great deal of 'copy-paste' in the various articles, but I am minded to consider the following link as being the truth, due to the Author!! :wink:
http://www.janes.com/article/72060/newl ... -september.
Interesting to note that as little as 2 Junglies + 1 ex RAF HAR. 3A may actually fly out of Vector Aerospace, with all the other useful bits in boxes?
For all you 'serials Guys' out there, I'm wondering if the subject HAR. 3A was the a/c flown from RAF Valley direct to Vector on the 11th hour of their flying service? :dunno: