RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
PanaviaTornado

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by PanaviaTornado »

Was there yesterday, glad the autogyro crew were unhurt, it was a bit of a 'what is going on moment' when all the the fire engines etc...started racing onto the runway, not sure many people (including me) even saw the autogyro before all the commotion. We found out the crew were ok pretty sharpish which was good. With the horizontal weather at the time it did surprise me something like this was attempting to get airborne.

Unfortunately many people (including me again) were advised it had probably put an end to the day, with a lot 'investigation' work needed before anything could resume. Not the staff/organisers fault for sure, information was pretty limited at the time and they were only relaying what they knew, I left and after about half an hour of driving and thought I should ring back and just double check before I continue my long journey back.

So I pulled over and called up, they said the runway was back open shortly! So rather swiftly drove back then caught the Swedes, Tornados, F-16s etc.. the crowd at this time was maybe 1/3 or less the size it was when I left only an hour before, I think a lot of people maybe missed out in the end! The Swedish kit really is magnificent, hope we get to see it properly at a UK show next year (somehow) .

Staff and volunteers were very helpful and polite, refreshingly pleasant!

Overall, solid effort, needs improvement, if they get a decent display line up to match the price next year I can see the show becoming relatively popular for the enthusiast too.

T_J

Post by T_J »

PanaviaTornado wrote:Staff and volunteers were very helpful and polite, refreshingly pleasant!

I agree. Well done to all the staff and volunteers. Well done to everyone and especially the park and ride bus crews and staff. A very smooth operation and especially the control of the queues leaving the airshow. I thought it would be a bit of a bun fight with people swarming the exits for the buses. Queue jumpers were politely and effectively dealt with and it all made for a smooth operation. Well done! :up:

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Swedes always do Jersey so thats your best bet.Probably a bit late for this year as its on Thursday weather permitting.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

MarkL wrote:
PeterR wrote: the B727 for novelty value.

How very dare you ? Highlight I would say........

Perhaps novelty was the wrong word. I mean the display didn't blow anyone socks off did it? But it was great just to see the classic airliner in the air, and the noise as she climbed away.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Oh I don't know, that 727 was nice and low, at least on Saturday. Quite a sight! :cool:

(Bad moment to be dropping even more water though :lol: )

Couldn't agree more on the organisation, the volunteers, the way the whole thing was run. It was very well done.

I don't think this show will ever be 'big', I don't think the venue will accommodate a 'RIAT-north', but with more strength in depth in the flying display, retaining its compact feel and intimacy, it will be a gem.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Here’s my thoughts on the Scampton air show.

Getting there
We arrived via the A15 from the north at around 0830 and were held for a while in a very slow moving queue above 3 miles north of Scampton. It turned out that it was junction where airfield parking and off-base parking were being split. A lad was walking up the road telling each car which way to go. After that it was an easy run in until we got on the airfield from the north and were directed around the taxiway to the on-base parking. We did get held up for 15mins or so as there seemed be a bit of lack communication crossing the runway. These somewhat unnecessary delays must have cost us 40-45 mins.

Static Display
I thought it was pretty decent overall. Some real rarities and gems in there with the aircraft in general nicely laid out.

Enclosure
We had tickets to the Lincolnshire garden enclosure which was pleasant enough perhaps a bit too big. The food was good though.

Flying Display
The flying itself thought was generally pretty good, with a couple of gripes. When the Pembroke broke down and blocked the far end of the runway, it seemed odd that the Global Stars couldn’t get airborne in what was left of the runway. The Red Arrows were unfortunate with servicability but fair play to the 4-ship that put on a curtailed but decent show.
Other highlights were the French Alpha Jet which was beautifully flown, Rich Goodwin who never fails to amaze and of course the BBMF who made a welcome and much appreciated return. It was nice to see the 727 again and I thought the closing RAF Typhoon was probably the best I’ve seen. And honourable mentions to the Sally B and Tall in the Saddle.
The lighting was challenging for photography but that’s no fault of the air show. The geography of the airfield means photography is a bit interesting as the middle of the runway sits on a hill but it made for some interesting angles.

Getting out
Pretty easy. Followed the exit route back to the A15 and away. Home by 7pm.

Good
Compact but interesting static display
Heritage hangar area – so much history on the airfield
Helpful and friendly staff
Flying display – varied and interesting
Commentary – very enjoyable from the team.
I liked the timing; 11am to 4pm. The early finish means those of us with a distance to go still get home at a reasonable time.

Bad
Queue on the A15 southbound
The weather – at least it didn’t rain too much – first time I’ve seen lightning at an airshow.
Gaps in flying display – lack of farside taxiway forcing aircraft to backtrack is a bit of an issue.

All in all, pretty good, and I will definitely be back.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:Oh I don't know, that 727 was nice and low, at least on Saturday. Quite a sight! :cool:

(Bad moment to be dropping even more water though :lol: )

Couldn't agree more on the organisation, the volunteers, the way the whole thing was run. It was very well done.

I don't think this show will ever be 'big', I don't think the venue will accommodate a 'RIAT-north', but with more strength in depth in the flying display, retaining its compact feel and intimacy, it will be a gem.

So it will be more Cosford like but with more fast jets (no offence PeterR) as they have the capability to operate from the base.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Unknown74 wrote:Hi BossMan, with regards the Belgian F-16 and the Flares issue, Unless you are only referring to on base Airshows he deployed Flares at Ayr Low Green for The Scottish International Airshow although I must admit they were over Water.

Flares at Eastbourne, Ayr and Yeovilton but no flares at Biggin ( but operating from there to eastbourne ) or at Fairford or Scampton??? So at Scampton they can't acommodate flare firing aircraft but they can at Biggin Hill, when parked next to the RAF Typhoon/ Czech Gripen/ PdF???
minnie the moocher wrote:
BossMann wrote:Went on Sunday.

However, it did seem very empty yesterday with the crowd only 1 person deep with gaps at 11am, didn't improve much during the day. The enclosures were full however so that's where the 24000 attendance figure may be from.

Agree with most of what you say - however this bit had me wondering if I was at the same show. We were right next to the enclosure with the vacant white plastic seats it was less than half occupied. Agreed the crowd was quite sparse until gone 12 and only started to fill in a bit after the flying had already started but didn't fill in appreciably where we were - apart from the idiot who chose to barge his way through and stand directly in front of some of us who had been there ages - I think if he wasn't built like a brick s****house somebody may have said something. Felt sorry for the bod in the icecream van near us. Don't know how much they paid for that pitch? Perhaps if the weather had played ball it would have helped. I mostly enjoyed the show but next time will hang on for tickets and not commit my cash until I know what is going to be there - and any increase in ticket price next year and I'm sorry but thats me out.

I was next to the 'lincolnshire garden' enclosure on the eastern end of the crowd line.... don't know what the enclosures on the opposite side of the airfield were like but the grandstand looked quite full

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Dear all please enter your feedback on the Scampton Airshow on their visitor survey - maybe the only way they will get feedback from us so they can respond with next years show ...

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/ScamptonAirshow2017

minnie the moocher

Post by minnie the moocher »

BossMann wrote:Dear all please enter your feedback on the Scampton Airshow on their visitor survey - maybe the only way they will get feedback from us so they can respond with next years show ...

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/ScamptonAirshow2017

If anybody can get to the end of this survey without it crashing let me know

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

It's survey monkey, it can't "crash". It sounds like you're doing something wrong, or have an issue at your end?

XP282

Post by XP282 »

It didn't crash on me.

minnie the moocher

Post by minnie the moocher »

ok thanks 3rd attempt. Worked ok. Can assure you it can go wrong, and did on the same question each time Q41 and showed a surveymonkey fault (bananas page) No issue at my end and I wasn't doing anything wrong - have filled in hundreds of these before

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

• "Genesis" - Dan Butcher attended the inaugural Scampton Airshow.

Image Image Image Image Image

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

That's a pretty fair review. Hopefully Scampton can build on the success and produce a new fixture on the airshow calendar

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

I've just completed the survey, I've been fair and honest. I would dearly prefer to attend Scampton next year rather than Klein Brogel. But I can't see what the RAF in their current dismissive attitude to air shows, even in their centenary year, going to do to address what is already an event facing immense problems in securing participation? I can see all fast jet display types and display teams and other current military aircraft all heading to KB. again we could be left with a mercy visit from the Belgian F-16, if we're lucky, anything from anywhere else will head for Belgium. I don't accept the stock explanation about the need to secure accommodation for visiting personnel from the Lincoln University as the reason why they can't avoid clashing with Klein Brogel and Ostrava etc. This was used when the Waddington air show clashed with these events in mid-summer as well for some reason. Yet we've been told since that the reason Yeovilton doesn't face such a dilemma is because it is military organised and they have accommodation on the base. That being the case, Waddington would have certainly had accommodation you'd have thought being organised by the RAF!? We'll just have to wait and see. I think it would be shabby of RAFCTE to start selling early bird tickets or other discounts only up to about the end of April or something stupid. I won't commit until I've some comparison between Scampton and little Belgium and Klein Brogel. If it looks like the RAF aren't bothering their buns apart from a shed load of publicity about it being their centenary year, yet the Scampton line up dawdles along again with the RAF stock four Reds, Tiffy, BBMF and Falcons with Muscle Pitts, Catalina, Autogryo you know the drill, while KB already secures by May; Polish, Belgian and Helenic F-16s, Coutaeu Delta, Rafale, Austrian Typhoon, Finish and Swiss F-18s, Il Frecce Tricolori, PDF, Patrouille Suisse, SWAFHF(flying!).. you know the drill, then I'm going to have to try and save up me pennies to get over to little Belgium for the big event of September. This would be quite adisaster for the RAF, in September especially in its centenary year and at the most iconic RAF Base save for Biggin Hill. Further, no amount of 'and Red 1 has called for a flat display', will tempt me otherwise. But I hope to be wonderfully surprised! :cuppa:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

"The Fall" - Tom Jones sat down for a short debrief with Andy Armstrong and Tom Gibbons of the RAFCTE on behalf of UK Airshow Review.

Image Image Image Image Image