Southport Airshow 2017

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
Chris G

Re: Southport Airshow 2017

Post by Chris G »

SouthportAir wrote:Hi all, glad that many of you enjoyed the show. With Friday night being a first for us we were extremely pleased with how it went.

In order for us to improve in the future please do let us have further feedback and what you want to see in 2018! With it being in July the evening show will be more challenging but it will go ahead.

Planning for next year has already begun and requests for displays have been and are being made.

Great to see some of Duxfords aircraft visit, how about having a Navy theme with it being by the Sea. Would love to see a Corsair, Bearcat, Wildcat or Air Leasings Sea Fury. Would love to see the Red Bull Matadors as they had other things on this year. Would also like to see Rich Goodwins Muscle Pitts get booked for here. Please try and keep it varied with different things rather than just the same things year in year out. :-)

Jonnym

Post by Jonnym »

Is it on the same date as Yeovilton? If so, that might create an opportunity for an international item? I agree that Rich Goodwin would be good to see there - his act is one that excites both enthusiasts and families alike so a win-win.

I think a flypast that marks the RAF Birthday would be fitting. Finally, keeping a good mix of jets in - the Norwegian Vampire / Mig flypast was a nice touch.

TornadoAlex

Post by TornadoAlex »

SouthportAir wrote:Hi all, glad that many of you enjoyed the show. With Friday night being a first for us we were extremely pleased with how it went.

In order for us to improve in the future please do let us have further feedback and what you want to see in 2018! With it being in July the evening show will be more challenging but it will go ahead.

Planning for next year has already begun and requests for displays have been and are being made.

Predictable of me to say but I would love to see a Tornado next year especially with it being RAF's 100th birthday and Tornado retiring soon. I know Tornado's aren't that common a sight at airshows these days but I can still hope :dunno:

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

WOW !! What An Airshow it was this year ! I totally agree Wrexham Mackem, A stunning backdrop at Southport,
plenty of space on the beach, to allow thousands of people to move around, with no clambering for Space. And a very varied quality lineup ! and excellent for photography ! I agree the Airshow, is now of a quality level, including the setting, where people, should be willing to come from beyond the Northwest of England. To watch the Airshow, and as you say it doesn't get the national recognition, on the Airshow circuit it deserves. I was really beaming after watching the Hispano Buchon and OFMC Spitfire IX MH434 Dogfight with Pyrotechnics.

And Brian Smith's solo display in the Spitfire, was beautiful. What a fantastic lineup Classic Jets, Warbirds, Helicopters, the Typhoon etc, all flown really well, and pretty close to the crowd too. I really really enjoyed all 3 days. Next years Airshow in early July can't come quick enough ! :biggrin:

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

The evening show will be a late start for sure, but will probably be warmer than this year! This year's sunset was quite something, I wish you many more of those, it was a stunning backdrop for an airshow.

In terms of requests, I'll agree with some of those already stated above. The date coinciding with Yeovilton may bring opportunities to share international military participation, at the very least the Belgian F-16 isn't averse to sharing.

And adding to the 'bit of everything' spirit of Southport; The Matadors would be great, the return of Patrouille Reva or even the Jordanian Falcons would be good - they'll be in the country, also agree on Rich Goodwin and I'd love to see the Mike Williams/Chris Burkett little and large Extra syncro display.

Being in early July, you should be in-season for the likes of Chinook and Apache, and I'd be disappointed if the Navy couldn't send something up from Somerset.

Have to agree the Great War team would show well at Southport, and I'd love to see the Tiger Moth diamond 9 team operate off the beach. Which means the return of the beach runways!

Some new-to-Southport warbirds would be ace. In an ideal world Fighter Collection's naval warbirds would be lovely. But next year being an RAF year the Blenheim would be nice.

Good luck :smile:

EDIT: and for the night show.. a sunset Red Arrows display, and later, AeroSparx!