International Sanicole Airshow, 8 & 10 September 2017 (BE)

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
iainpeden

Re: International Sanicole Airshow, 8 & 10 September 2017 (B

Post by iainpeden »

Fantastic event. Early start for the ferry tomorrow
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Very enjoyable show with lots of good flying. Traffic wasn't even too bad getting out. Standstill for about ten minutes then steady all the way, much like many events.

It's a shame we lost a few good aircraft... Would have really liked to see the E-3 and the German CH-53, but that's the way it goes. Also I didn't realise we'd lost the "Magritte" jet until today.

Of to Bruges tomorrow to keep the Mrs happy after a 9.30-1800 flying display. :grin:

Quick question, were some of the displays flying their flat displays despite seeming to have the weather for high ones?

Additionally, did the Rafale have a problem today? Didn't seem to get the right hand burner going at all.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

It was mentioned on the commentary: the Rafale flew his full show despite only one burner working. Which is damned impressive from the pilot, and unbelievably impressive from the aircraft itself.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

JensSr

Post by JensSr »

Thanks for the event And see you in 2 years ( If i'm right BAF days is next year )

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sun 09 Sep 2018, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

The Canadian commentator ("Cold Belgian brew, please report to the commentator stand, ask for the Canadian") is Ric Peterson, an outstanding professional and nice guy who has been with us for three years. He does lots of shows in North America and one in Japan.

I hope you all enjoyed your time in Belgium and the show at Sanicole. I think I can speak on behalf of the entire team that your support has been great and gives us more motivation to carry on. It was our biggest show to date and the record crowd appears to have enjoyed the event.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future! Next year, many of us will be helping out at the Belgian air force days at KB, 8 & 9 September, but in 2019, we'll be back with the whole group!

As for myself, the work has only just begun. Time to distill a DVD out of countless hours of footage...

Mike

Post by Mike »

A thoroughly excellent weekend and a show content which puts any of the few remaining military-themed shows in the UK to shame. Too many highlights to list, and we even got lucky with the weather after the forecast in the days leading up to the weekend. One of the most relaxed and enjoyable events I've been to in years. Thanks to all involved for their hard work in putting it on. :clap: :clap:

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

My first time, a real quality show, shame the weather put a minor, minor dampener on things. Full review to come soon, but the flying was superb with one of the best lineups of the year of course. My only massive gripe was the prices of things - food and even toilets! But yes, huge fun.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

As usual another quality show. 8 hours of flying for only €20 is exceptional value. I wonder how much longer the show would have gone on for had everything that originally confirmed turned up?
Congratulations Chrisse for a splendid achievement and I'll see you at Kliene Brogel next year.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Excellent airshow(s). A funky venue, strong line-up, minimal hassle getting in and out and a nice local area. I'll definitely be going back. Like Sam, my only gripe was the pricing. EUR 2 to use the toilets seems a bit mental and not something I'd encountered at mainland European events before.

It was a total doddle to get to and from, too. Up at 4am Friday, in Belgium by 3pm after a leisurely drive with a few stops along the way. The way home via Antwerp was even quicker - under 3hrs to Calais with a fuel/food stop.

Also the first time seeing the Twister duo and gliderFX - really impressive, particularly the Twisters who were one of my personal highlights. Any time I hear Coldplay's Midnight, I'll be right back there on Friday night. Magical stuff.

Chopper81

Post by Chopper81 »

My first experience of Sanicole and it wont be my last, left Friday morning from Poole and made it to our accommodation and back to Sanicole for the evening show just in time.
Getting in and out was easy and having 2 lines, one for bags and one for no bags made getting through very quick. Car parks were well managed and held up to the poor weather before the show.
The atmosphere was one of the best at any airshow I have been to over the last 20+ years. The Rafale made the whole weekend for me, it was simply stunning in fading light and seriously wet air!!! :worship:
Saturdays Spotters Day @ KB was a steady day made very enjoyable with how approachable all the crews around the taxiway where. The "SQUARE" is a must do, no hassle and relaxed security made getting up close to the aircraft awesome.
Sundays show back at Sanicole had an awesome line up, again a great atmosphere and no hassles. 9:30AM-18:00PM of top quality flying display.
Travelling back was better and even had a pretty clear M25 which was nice!!!!

All said and done I couldn't recommend going to this show enough, was it 52 EUROS for the 3 days?? Crazy!!! :yahoo:
Roll on Belgian Airforce Days 2018 at KB

PS JARA steakhouse was fantastic, one of the best fillet steaks I've got my chops around :snack:

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Can't wait for a KB return!

austinp

Post by austinp »

Been following this with great interest.

I'm possibly going to attend next year, can anybody offer any travel/accommodation advice please?

I would most likely drive/ferry from the UK.

Thanks in advance.

Chopper81

Post by Chopper81 »

austinp wrote:Been following this with great interest.

I'm possibly going to attend next year, can anybody offer any travel/accommodation advice please?

I would most likely drive/ferry from the UK.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, already looking at dates for next year, this year we drove and got the tunnel! quicker and generally easier than the boats!!

Loads of places to stay, De Lage Kempen?? 5-10 mins from KB is cheap but what you need for this sort of trip. 175 EUROS between 4 for 3 nights was a bargain!

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

We went via Dover-Dunkirk and stopped at the Mezzo in Beringen - about 15 minutes from Sanicole and 25 from KB. There is a good pizza restaurant in Paal (about 15 minute walk from the hotel) and a great bar in the centre of the village.
Stopped at the premier inn in Dover the night before the ferry and used the Wetherspoons in the town for refuelling.

Allowing for traffic jams at Antwerp allow about 3 1/2 hours.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Would echo the above. It's really easy and hardly any more expensive than traveling for an airshow in the UK.

Stayed at Mercure Maidstone the night before travelling, 40 mins to the train (more expensive than the ferry but much faster and always worth it IMO, the novelty of the ferry wears off very quickly for me as I used to use it a lot for work). We went to Gent that night and headed to the general area on Friday morning, but going directly, 3 1/2 hours sounds spot on.

We camped at Goolderheide which is about 15 mins from KB and €60 for three nights. Have stayed here in 14/15 and 17 and it's generally very peaceful with an outdoor pool if you don't mind the cold!

Plenty of places to eat, but if you're looking for easy, there are lots of supermarkets and "Bruno" service stations nearby that have pizza!

Arrived Friday, set up camp, then headed to a very relaxed evening show. Chilled Saturday (could only get the Mrs to do 2/3 days at the show) and then went to the show on Sunday.

Honestly it's so easy. I put off going for a year or two because I thought it would be hassle but everyone speaks English and the Belgians are great hosts!

Perhaps next year we can arrange a little meet up in one of the nearby towns. :)

Ian66

Post by Ian66 »

Had a fantastic couple of days at Sanicole this year although thanks to the Antwerp traffic nearly didn't make the Friday evening! We didn't do the spotters day but thinking of going to KB next year.

Where is the crowdline at KB ? Looking at Google maps there looks to be two parallel runways one narrower than the other?
Is the show much different to Sanicole ?

Thanks for any help!

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

I did Sanicole previoulsy and loved it plus the Spotters day,

I would also be interested in details re the layout of KB for airshow days and do they do an arrivals/rehersal day,

Belgium is a very underrated place. Friendly people, decent food, wonderful beer and great airshows.

PS I assume the next Sanicole is 2019
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

The KB layout is just a bigger version of Sanicole though they have more static displays. You are looking northwest with the relief runway providing the crowdline demarcation and static display park. The aircraft will be parked between you and the main runway.

In 2014 they held a joint spotterdays/youth day on the Friday to watch the arrivals and rehearsals.

It is a much larger event in terms of space and expect a decent walk from the car parks to the crowdline - much more than Sanicole.

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

pbeardmore wrote:

13 & 15 September 2019 :) Some of us in the Sanicole team will be plenty busy with KB next year :wink:

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Chrisse wrote:
pbeardmore wrote:

13 & 15 September 2019 :) Some of us in the Sanicole team will be plenty busy with KB next year :wink:

So no clash with Scampton in 2019!!! looks like Scampton may finally get some foreign displays in 2019...........

Chrisse - Out of interest does anyone know how many people from the UK were at Sanicole this year????

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

I'm sure the people at the ticket office do but I don't have those numbers, I'm afraid.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

17th Sept, 75th Anniversary of Arnhem.

Great opportunity for a twin base holiday? Always wanted to visit Arnhem

Chrisse, can Sanicole runway take a DC3? or a para drop? The airfield backdrop (free of modern buildings etc) would be perfect for a tribute/setpiece.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Mike

Post by Mike »

I doubt the site is wide enough to safely take a massed round-canopy drop.

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

We had a round-canopy drop from a DC-3 in 2012 so it's possible.
You won't see it land though.