MoD says 2017 'Year of the Navy'

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum

Brevet Cable

Re: MoD says 2017 'Year of the Navy'

Post by Brevet Cable »

And of course he's telling the truth about why he 'needed' to land the drone there.... :whistle:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

From my interpretation of the article he said it was over the carrier (which he accepts it shouldn't have been) and the drone's auto systems detected too high a wind so it used its self landing mechanism.

Burleysway

Post by Burleysway »

MoD says 2017 'Year of the Navy'

Really?

Royal Navy a 'laughing stock' with three quarters of its warships out of action and 'struggling to protect British citizens'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09 ... truggling/

What a sad state of affairs :sad:

disgruntled

Post by disgruntled »

A little clarity on the situation regarding the RN. A letter from First Sea Lord to the Telegraph in response to the usual hyperbole whipped up my uninformed journalists. It seems endemic that so called professional journalists use their position to spout off clap trap to massage their ego and promote their own agendas.

The letter...

Sir

As head of the Naval Service I owe it to my people and your readers to set the record straight (‘Weakened Navy ‘can barely protect UK’’, September 15).

It is simply plain wrong to say that HMS Ocean has been delayed by engine problems. She sailed from Gibraltar on time and to plan and was laden with nine helicopters, hundreds of pallets of emergency aid, water, trucks and almost 700 personnel from all three services. I would also highlight the role of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary ship Mounts Bay which has been instrumental to the UK’s immediate military response and deserves to be recognised.

As for the wider Fleet, this week there have been over 30 ships and submarines deployed on operations, preparing for operations or in training. This includes frigates and destroyers that are patrolling our home waters, protecting maritime trade in the Middle East and leading a NATO task group in the Mediterranean.

The Royal Navy does have manpower challenges and we have not tried to hide this fact. We are making good progress to put them right and earlier this week I was able to announce Royal Navy affiliations with a further four University Technical Colleges which are helping to train the engineers and scientists that the Navy and the Nation will depend on for our future security and prosperity.

It is reassuring that the Daily Telegraph recognises the pivotal importance of a strong Royal Navy but it is disappointing that such a story, with key errors, was printed with such prominence. We must never lose sight of how hard our sailors and marines are working today, or how relevant their contribution will become as the United Kingdom forges a new, confident and ambitious role in the world.

Admiral Sir Philip Jones KCB ADC

First Sea Lord and Chief of Naval Staff”

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

disgruntled wrote:A little clarity on the situation regarding the RN. A letter from First Sea Lord to the Telegraph in response to the usual hyperbole whipped up my uninformed journalists. It seems endemic that so called professional journalists use their position to spout off clap trap to massage their ego and promote their own agendas.

The letter...

Sir

As head of the Naval Service I owe it to my people and your readers to set the record straight (‘Weakened Navy ‘can barely protect UK’’, September 15).

It is simply plain wrong to say that HMS Ocean has been delayed by engine problems. She sailed from Gibraltar on time and to plan and was laden with nine helicopters, hundreds of pallets of emergency aid, water, trucks and almost 700 personnel from all three services. I would also highlight the role of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary ship Mounts Bay which has been instrumental to the UK’s immediate military response and deserves to be recognised.

As for the wider Fleet, this week there have been over 30 ships and submarines deployed on operations, preparing for operations or in training. This includes frigates and destroyers that are patrolling our home waters, protecting maritime trade in the Middle East and leading a NATO task group in the Mediterranean.

The Royal Navy does have manpower challenges and we have not tried to hide this fact. We are making good progress to put them right and earlier this week I was able to announce Royal Navy affiliations with a further four University Technical Colleges which are helping to train the engineers and scientists that the Navy and the Nation will depend on for our future security and prosperity.

It is reassuring that the Daily Telegraph recognises the pivotal importance of a strong Royal Navy but it is disappointing that such a story, with key errors, was printed with such prominence. We must never lose sight of how hard our sailors and marines are working today, or how relevant their contribution will become as the United Kingdom forges a new, confident and ambitious role in the world.

Admiral Sir Philip Jones KCB ADC

First Sea Lord and Chief of Naval Staff”

I'm struggling to see much of any record being set straight by that letter. Apart from the denial on the Oceans engine troubles (and if it wasn't engine troubles there was obviously some other kind of trouble seeing as how it sailed on time on the 12th and yet only arrived today) he doesn't directly deny anything in the article at all, just recognises the manpower shortages that exist and what a good job the sailors and marines are doing which was never in question anyway.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

http://www.forces.net/news/fallon-says-no-decision-over-future-royal-navy-assault-ships

Ocean's definitely going next year , Albion & Bulwark almost certainly going soon ( far earlier than the planned 2030 ) despite Fallon's claims otherwise & over 1000 RMs getting binned.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Burleysway

Post by Burleysway »

Brevet Cable wrote:http://www.forces.net/news/fallon-says-no-decision-over-future-royal-navy-assault-ships

Ocean's definitely going next year , Albion & Bulwark almost certainly going soon ( far earlier than the planned 2030 ) despite Fallon's claims otherwise & over 1000 RMs getting binned.

Utter madness

Any sane politician would insist on a reduction in the foreign aid budget in favour of defence.

Don’t know what else to say. :sad:

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Don't know if this needs a new 2018 thread or just keep this one going but anyhow it appears that Ocean's off to Brazil for 84 million.

Seems like a pretty good deal to me, better than Turkish razor blades.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/brazil- ... 4-million/

Burleysway

Post by Burleysway »

starbuck wrote:Don't know if this needs a new 2018 thread or just keep this one going but anyhow it appears that Ocean's off to Brazil for 84 million.

Seems like a pretty good deal to me, better than Turkish razor blades.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/brazil- ... 4-million/

Gutted....

Burleysway

Post by Burleysway »

All over the National press today.........

Royal Marines in danger of being sacrificed to ‘short-term bookkeeping’, says Defence Committee report
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 93026.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42933845

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02 ... e-say-mps/

Burleysway

Post by Burleysway »

Britain’s Biggest Warship’ a new three part documentary filmed over nine years following @HMSQnlz build and delivery, will air over three successive weeks from this Sunday, April 15 at 8pm on BBC Two.

Set your reminders!!