This Photobucket change has damaged this forum

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
tankbuster

This Photobucket change has damaged this forum

Post by tankbuster »

I'm not a Photobucket user but I notice that on continuing threads such as "planes on sticks" the thread has been completely ruined because of Photobucket. Some of these threads make great rainy day browsing so I feal that there is a real loss. It does make you realise that the only really safe place for pictures is on a backed up hard disk and that it's not a good idea to ever rely on hosting sites or cloud storage which aren't under your control.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

harkins

Re: This Photobucket change has damaged this forum

Post by harkins »

It certainly has been damaging to many sites, but for me the worst hit that I've noticed is Britmodeller. They've lost the bulk of 10 years of detailed build threads that were an invaluable resource for so many people wishing to research hints, tips, corrections and techniques for modelling specific kits. Pretty gutted for them. Last I checked, they were discussing jettisoning huge amounts of threads as the likelihood of anyone still having the images and bothering to repair threads from years back must be pretty slim.

There has been some plug-ins available to restore the links to the images but I believe Photobucket are fairly swift to react to them.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

tankbuster wrote:It does make you realise that the only really safe place for pictures is on a backed up hard disk and that it's not a good idea to ever rely on hosting sites or cloud storage which aren't under your control.

Very good advice, besides which I have all my five years of Oshkosh photos on a 64GB memory stick. I sometimes look at it and say to myself 'how on earth can all those photos be stored on that tiny little thing?!' Just blows my mind!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

harkins

Post by harkins »

Call me paranoid, but I've got all my photos stored on two external hard-drives and I leave one of them at my folks in case of theft or fire. I've only put a few I'm happy with on Flickr for ease of looking at them when I fancy.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

You're paranoid! Well, you did ask! :grin:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

harkins

Post by harkins »

I can't argue. But my slightly grainy, not 100% sharp, collection of under or overexposed photographs (many with missing wing tips or noses) will be safe for me to look at and wish I had more skill and a better camera for many years to come. :yahoo:

planenuttoo

Post by planenuttoo »

harkins wrote:Call me paranoid, but I've got all my photos stored on two external hard-drives and I leave one of them at my folks in case of theft or fire. I've only put a few I'm happy with on Flickr for ease of looking at them when I fancy.

A very wise precaution.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Nope....the forum's not damaged at all.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

sdad

Post by sdad »

Surely jettisoning the threads is nowhere near as sensible as getting the owners to upgrade their subscriptions. To say they are unlikely to have the photos is incorrect because they still have them on Photobucket!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

sdad wrote:Surely jettisoning the threads is nowhere near as sensible as getting the owners to upgrade their subscriptions. To say they are unlikely to have the photos is incorrect because they still have them on Photobucket!

It's $400 a year to upgrade the subscription though. I think you'll have a tough time trying to get members to fork out such an amount just to repair archived threads.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

FastJetsBest

Post by FastJetsBest »

harkins wrote:Call me paranoid, but I've got all my photos stored on two external hard-drives and I leave one of them at my folks in case of theft or fire. I've only put a few I'm happy with on Flickr for ease of looking at them when I fancy.

I also do this :lol: Back up on two external hard-drives, one at mums in case of fire :grin: I also back them on DVD discs and on my second hard-drive on my PC.

At least I’m not the only one.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Keep getting e-mails from Photbucket with a $15 discount to upgrade.

3rd PARTY HOSTING

MOST POPULAR - Embed on other sites

UNLIMITED 3rd PARTY HOSTING
UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH
NOW WITH HTTPS SUPPORT
DAILY BACKUPS
DEDICATED URL AND SUPPORT
AD FREE BROWSING
STORE ORIGINAL PHOTOS
500 GB STORAGE

$399.99 BILLED ANNUALLY

EQUIVALENT TO

$33.33/MONTH

At current exchange rate - $399.99 = £302.71

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Photobucket much living up to its alternative moniker Photof... you know the rest...

Yeah it's a great shame what they've done. Sometimes just perusing old threads on this place are great - as I've said before, nothing gets the excitement for RIAT flowing like flicking through Andy's old Live Arrivals threads from years gone by.

Little we can do, unfortunately, other than keep posting as many different photos as we can - someone will be looking back at them some day in the future!

Keeping all copies on HDDs is very sound advice though. :up:

zigzag

Post by zigzag »

FastJetsBest wrote:

I also do this :lol: Back up on two external hard-drives, one at mums in case of fire :grin: I also back them on DVD discs and on my second hard-drive on my PC.

At least I’m not the only one.

Sound advice as there are two types of people in this world, those who back up, and those who havent had a hard drive failure :biggrin:
If you like these pics there are more utterly brilliant shots at https://www.flickr.com/photos/131094099@N08/albums
#MOT

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

zigzag wrote:
Sound advice as there are two types of people in this world, those who back up, and those who havent had a hard drive failure :biggrin:

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that know binary and those that don't.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

ErrolC

Post by ErrolC »

I haven't yet investigated the backup situation with the new Lightroom Cloud product. Do they expect subscribers to plan for them to never screw up the Catalogue? Backing up the originals and the final output should be simple enough.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

DVDs and external hard-drives for me.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Photobucket must be getting desperate. Had 3 e-mails from them just today, so far, offering the same discount as before. Decision has not gone down well on their Facebook page.

You should put more pop ads and viruses on your site so people have to wade through even more garbage just to get to their libraries, next you should quit allowing 3rd party hosting and finally you should charge and outrageous fee for all of this. WAIT, YOU'VE ALREADY DONE THIS! Let us know how it works out for you!!!

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook