What are UKARians watching on TV?

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby AlexC on Fri 22 Sep 2017, 11:52 am

boff180 wrote:Next week the first episode of Star Trek Discovery comes available.

There is an embargo on the media from publishing reviews prior to the release of the episode (they’ve seen it in advance). According to pundits that usually means the studio know the show they’ve produced is a pile of poop :sad:


Speaking as a great fan of Star Trek ever since it first arrived on our TV screens I sincerely hope that it's not 'a pile of poop'. I suppose that this is the first new series to be made since Star Trek: Enterprise with Scott Bakula was axed after only two seasons if I remember correctly? I'd like to have seen more.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
User avatar
AlexC

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby boff180 on Tue 26 Sep 2017, 5:20 am

So - we are two episodes in to Star Trek Discovery (feature length two parter) and so far.... big thumbs up.

Really like the pace of the action, hopefully that continues throughout the season.

Andy
User avatar
boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 26 Sep 2017, 7:24 am

DerekF wrote:After watching Ken Burns excellent documentary about the American Civil War last year, I noticed Netflix had his history of Prohibition available. What a fascinating story. A story of how a misguided government policy can have so many unintended consequences. I then watched his series called "The War2", a history of the involvement of four typical US towns in WW2, another fascinating, moving and, at times, brutal series. I know it tells the story of WW2 from an American point of view so it starts in 1941 rather than 1939 but that doesn't lessen its impact. Both series are well worth watching.

Missed it last night, but Ken Burns' series on the Vietnam War is being shown on BBC 4.
Looks like they're doing 2 episodes every Monday, from 22:00hrs.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby starbuck on Tue 26 Sep 2017, 8:20 am

Brevet Cable wrote:
DerekF wrote:After watching Ken Burns excellent documentary about the American Civil War last year, I noticed Netflix had his history of Prohibition available. What a fascinating story. A story of how a misguided government policy can have so many unintended consequences. I then watched his series called "The War2", a history of the involvement of four typical US towns in WW2, another fascinating, moving and, at times, brutal series. I know it tells the story of WW2 from an American point of view so it starts in 1941 rather than 1939 but that doesn't lessen its impact. Both series are well worth watching.

Missed it last night, but Ken Burns' series on the Vietnam War is being shown on BBC 4.
Looks like they're doing 2 episodes every Monday, from 22:00hrs.


Thanks for the heads up, I knew he had just completed it but I was looking for it on PBS, hadn't realised BBC had picked it up. He is a remarkable documentary maker, if you ever get the chance the series on Jazz, Baseball and the American West are also well worth watching.
starbuck

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby Airwolfhound on Tue 26 Sep 2017, 11:52 am

boff180 wrote:So - we are two episodes in to Star Trek Discovery (feature length two parter) and so far.... big thumbs up.

Really like the pace of the action, hopefully that continues throughout the season.

Andy


Yep, enjoyed it immensely. Let's hope they haven't blown the FX budget in the first two eps though :grin:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby AlexC on Tue 26 Sep 2017, 3:15 pm

Bit confused to see that Sonequa Martin-Green (Sasha Williams in The Walking Dead) is playing Michael Burnham in Star Trek Discovery. What's that all about?
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
User avatar
AlexC

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 26 Sep 2017, 3:23 pm

Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby AlexC on Tue 26 Sep 2017, 3:44 pm



I suppose it explains it after a fashion, but I'd say that Michelle would have been more appropriate. Seems like it's creating a bit of a controversy for no good reason.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
User avatar
AlexC

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 1:39 pm

Re-watched the final series of HOW
It may be infantile, but I'll still admit to laughing at the name of the place the fort's near to in the first episode ( and like most of the other places in the series, it really does/did exist ) :biggrin:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby DerekF on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 2:15 pm

boff180 wrote:So - we are two episodes in to Star Trek Discovery (feature length two parter) and so far.... big thumbs up.

Really like the pace of the action, hopefully that continues throughout the season.

Andy



Agreed. Very good start to the new series. I like the "legacy" sounds from the original series as well.

starbuck wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:
DerekF wrote:After watching Ken Burns excellent documentary about the American Civil War last year, I noticed Netflix had his history of Prohibition available. What a fascinating story. A story of how a misguided government policy can have so many unintended consequences. I then watched his series called "The War2", a history of the involvement of four typical US towns in WW2, another fascinating, moving and, at times, brutal series. I know it tells the story of WW2 from an American point of view so it starts in 1941 rather than 1939 but that doesn't lessen its impact. Both series are well worth watching.

Missed it last night, but Ken Burns' series on the Vietnam War is being shown on BBC 4.
Looks like they're doing 2 episodes every Monday, from 22:00hrs.


Thanks for the heads up, I knew he had just completed it but I was looking for it on PBS, hadn't realised BBC had picked it up. He is a remarkable documentary maker, if you ever get the chance the series on Jazz, Baseball and the American West are also well worth watching.


Apparently the BBC have bought a 10 hour abridged version rather than the full 18hours series. I might wait until it appears on PBS.

Just finished binge-watching the hugely under-rated "The Expanse". Excellent series.

Season 2 of Designated Survivor starts this week too. So much telly, so little time.....
User avatar
DerekF

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby rob68 on Fri 29 Sep 2017, 12:30 pm

Why at a glance do I read "what are Ukrainians watching" when I see this thread?
rob68

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby AndyXH558 on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 11:13 am

Something to look out for next year. The League of gentlemen is coming back with a new series.
User avatar
AndyXH558

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 6:13 pm

Today I've been having a mega TWD session, starting from Series 1.

Currently mid-way through Series 4, you don't realise how much you've forgotten ( or missed the first time around ) until you watch it again.
Roll on when Amazon do Series 7 free.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby Exiler on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 7:34 pm

Watched Discovery on Monday, to me it was 'good' but not true 'Trek'. Yes there were echoes back to the TOS etc but the changes made, not for me.

'The Orville' on the other hand... It's great Star Trek is back on the small screen.
User avatar
Exiler

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 08 Oct 2017, 12:36 pm

Given up on 'Turn' as it was getting more ridiculous ( and has given up any pretence of historical accuracy ) every episode.
About the only thing which was accurate was the drunken party held by the British Officers.

Having finished watching all the free episodes of 'TWD' on Amazon, I've now started on series 2 of 'Preacher'.
If anything, it's even sillier than the first series was, and it's yet another series where one of the characters ( the Saint of Killers ) could do with their own spin-off series.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby AndyXH558 on Tue 10 Oct 2017, 11:25 am

Started watching Tin Star but was so good we had to watch the whole series. So many twists and turns in the plot that you didnt know what was coming next. I really recommend it.
User avatar
AndyXH558

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 17 Oct 2017, 6:53 pm

Finished watching series 2 of 'Preacher' yesterday.
Surprised the religious nutters in America haven't taken offence at it, given some of the storylines. :lol:

I'll admit to spending some time comparing it to Kevin Smith's film 'Dogma', because there are a number of similarities.
God's gone missing ( although unlike in 'Dogma', his tastes are a lot weirder & cruder than being a skiball fan....woof !! :whistle: )
Rogue angels ( no, not the ones who ride motorcycles :lol: )
Demons sent to stop them finding God ( although 'Preacher' hasn't had an 'Excremental' yet :biggrin: )
Escapees from Hell ( although 'Dogma' didn't have Adolf Hitler )
A Last Scion of Jesus ( although Humperdoo most definitely is nothing like Bethany..... :lol: )

Roll on series 3.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby AlexC on Wed 25 Oct 2017, 3:12 pm

Thought that the programme on the Mosquito on More4 yesterday was rather good. And the 93 year still piloting his own? light aircraft, well, I thought that was amazing, and rather wonderful.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
User avatar
AlexC

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby Tommy on Sat 28 Oct 2017, 8:45 pm

Anyone watched Stranger Things season 2 yet?

Powered through that today when I really should have been doing more important things! :-X
User avatar
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 28 Oct 2017, 9:51 pm

Started watching the first series of 'Constantine' on Amazon Prime yesterday.
Better that expected, given how naff some of the free stuff they've got on there is.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby CJS on Sun 29 Oct 2017, 12:48 pm

The BBC documentary with Chris Packham about his Asperger's was fascinating I thought. And very well made to boot.

Then I watched My Week as a Muslim on channel 4...oh dear!

Worlds, nay universes, apart. Well done BBC. Dunce hat on and to the corner with you channel4.
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
User avatar
CJS

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby speedbird2639 on Sun 29 Oct 2017, 1:04 pm

I also saw the BBC documentary with Chris Packham about his Asperger's. Made very interesting viewing. Slightly worrying how he will handle the inevitable demise of his remaining dog when he stated he previously only decided not to end his life because he could't bare the thought of the dogs being without him.

Made a change to have an insightful and thought provoking documentary about an element of the autistic spectrum rather than the usual fare which just consists of some single mother on benefits in a council flat wondering how she can 'panhandle' the system into giving her Disability Living Allowance (or whatever the Torys have rebranded it as) becuase her GP has said her kid 'might' be slightly autistic.
User avatar
speedbird2639

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby AlexC on Sun 29 Oct 2017, 4:01 pm

CJS wrote:The BBC documentary with Chris Packham about his Asperger's was fascinating I thought. And very well made to boot.

Then I watched My Week as a Muslim on channel 4...oh dear!


I also watched both of those programmes, and agree with your sentiments. Incidentally, I also usually watch Springwatch, and the other Watches and do get a bit fed up with Chris Packham's obsession with what he insists on referring to as 'poo', rather like a five year old would, but perhaps that's down to his Asperger's? And I do wish that someone would tell the woman presenter (forget her name) to try to stop grinning like the Cheshire Cat all the time!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
User avatar
AlexC

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby speedbird2639 on Sun 29 Oct 2017, 4:14 pm

The female presenter is Michaela Strachen formerly of "The Hitman and Her" with Pete Waterman for those of a certain age rolling in drunk from the pub in the late 80s. She has got a lot of teeth its true; bit like a younger Ester Rantzen.

For younger readers who have no clue as to what I'm going on about details are here
User avatar
speedbird2639

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby AlexC on Sun 29 Oct 2017, 4:27 pm

Thanks for that!

Returning to Chris Packham for a moment, I met him quite a number of years ago now (when he was still dyeing his hair) when he was helping out with a campaign being run by the New Forest District Council (I worked for them at the time, in the Architects Dept.) to reduce littering in the Forest. Nice guy.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
User avatar
AlexC

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Georgeconna, pbeardmore, toom317, Wrexham Mackem and 10 guests