For any UK event that does not have its own forum
XX752

Re: Scampton Airshow 2018

Post by XX752 »

n0143773 wrote:
XX752 wrote:
RIAT Air Ops wrote:
n0143773 wrote:Can't believe all the discussion. Simple summary of 2017:

1. Ticket prices were too high, in so far as they did not offer value for money when comparing the flying display to other alternatives;
2. The quality of the flying display was poor. This had nothing to do with a lack of effort from DBH - it was purely down to other nations simply prioritising other shows, or seeing little benefit in attending, some having already made the effort to attend others in the UK throughout the year.

Let's move on and see how 2018 compares (point 1 can be resolved, chances are point 2 won't be).

I've disagreed with your views in the past but this time Point 1. Subjective if only looking at it from a flying display perspective. Point 2. nail/head - done. :up:

Wonder how many folks complaining about ticket prices (not necessarily folks on here) were happily stumping up to have a ride in the Pleasure Flying helicopters?

:cuppa:

If your views are representative of the organisers then it is clear you think you know best. All I can say is you are extremely fortunate that the area is bereft of airshows. If Cosford, Biggin Hill etc were closer then I think this venue would struggle for what is offered for the cost.

Bit harsh. They obviously do know best to a certain extent - look at the attendance figures. The show did well regardless of the ticket prices. And mentioning other locations is somewhat obsolete - they are nowhere near Scampton and therefore local supply v demand justifies a higher ticket price.

However, for enthusiasts or people who will attend multiple airshows - the observation is merely that Scampton didn't offer value for money in our eyes, when compared to others. To the general population, it obviously did though. DBH could keep the same prices next year (that's what I'd do) and get similar attendance, if not greater, with a better flying display (which is largely down to luck).

I did say 'if' the show had others near it. And you are correct, from an enthusiasts point of view the show will be little different next years in terms of cost or content. And I suppose it does not need to be judging by the attendance.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

I'm not about to go into forensic detail re: Scampton 2017, I'll leave that for others who feel they are better placed. What I do find comical are comments such as FB with

I would like to hope that the organisers; DBH/RIAT air ops, have simply dropped the Scampton Ball this year and have their finger out from here on in.
and BossMann with

Dear DBH/RIAT air ops,

I'm sure you all worked flat out to achieve the very best results. But all should know by now, that no amount of advance preparation and working of fingers to the bone and sacrificing of personal time will produce the results as far as impressive iron air mongerey goes if the organisers insist on picking dates that clash with large airshows over the continent. In that sense, yes someone definitely did not do their homework when the show got under way back 2016. One would have hoped thatat least for next year, a lesson would now have been hoisted and the next dates set would be 22nd and 23rd September. Oh but of course there is absolutely nowhere to billet anyone attending apart from the student digs of Lincoln. And of course as you are not the RAF, or the RN or.... how do you get on at Fairford interestingly enough? :cuppa: RAF Waddington always launched the same explanation when their show was lacklustre, most memorably in 2009. I'm bored myself repeating this point but I still haven't got a definitive answer as to why? Why can't accommodation be found at Waddington, Cranwell, Coningsby and the rest in Hotels around Lincoln? Surely that's what RIAT at Fairford do? Yeovilton is a Naval base maybe, but its not a spralling base, do they manage to accompany all on the base for air day?

You responded to ntelephone number's forecast that the flying next year won't be any better and don't seem at all regretful at that. Just what is the mission statement for Scampton? Is it a 'family' show as has been stated officially which would mean that the display will always be known for props, The Global Stars, Anson, Pembroke and the paltry RAF line up coupled with over exuberant commentary? Just like this year! Or is the aim to become RIAT in September? I truly would like to attend an air show in the UK to celebrate my own air force's centenary, the same RAF that my Father, Sister, Brother, Brother in Law and Nephew served in and which another nephew, my Brother's son currently serves in. But if it looks like, by the end of April, that Scampton's flying, the whole point of the event, is looking like it'll be filled with filler again, oh and the BBMF, Reds, Falcons and Typhoon but nothing else from the Birthday service then I'll just have to start conserving my resources to head off to the Czech Republic to celebrate their Air Force's centenary, and I'll wager it'll be a corker as well. Failing that, and more likely, then Klein Brogel.

But I really hope I end up eating my words and Scampton does become the RIAT of the North. By the way, what happened to Dan's post? Is free speech on here getting the same treatment as elsewhere now?

XX752

I think I'd rather see the Officers' Mess become a country hotel in the Marriot chain or whatever if the MOD feel they'll never ever find a use for it again, it must be a listed building as well. But what an absolute buggered up situation eh!?!

Further, I don't think it too unlikely to imagine that it could be returned to its former glory like the other buildings! :wink:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

I thought the Scampton Ball was DBH cosying up to the RAF brass and was glad it had been dropped, then realised it was just misuse of capitals: renews resolve to read all posts very carefully before commenting.....

(and apologies to DBH!)

John

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Strangely the Scampton Air Show website doesn't mention anything about the 2018 show???

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

BossMann wrote:Strangely the Scampton Air Show website doesn't mention anything about the 2018 show???

For God's sake don't start that rumour going. :wall:

FB

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

BossMann wrote:Strangely the Scampton Air Show website doesn't mention anything about the 2018 show???

8th - 9th September, 2018 according to this year's programme.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:

8th - 9th September, 2018 according to this year's programme.

And indeed, according to Flightline UK and all other publications. The Scampton website may need to be updated or about to be redesigned. :cuppa:

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

https://www.raf.mod.uk/raf100/whats-on/ ... n-airshow/

The link above seems quite official.

FB :cuppa:

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Finningley Boy wrote:https://www.RAF.mod.uk/raf100/whats-on/scampton-airshow/

The link above seems quite official.

FB :cuppa:
Falling towards the end of the RAF100 year, this airshow at the home of the RAF Red Arrows will be better than ever
Much Scampton airshow events having taken place in the past it has to beat in 2018.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

CJS

Post by CJS »

Say what now?
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Still no updates on the Scampton Airshow 2018 website/ facebook page..... whilst RIAT has already sold out all FRIAT packages and is actively marketing RIAT 2018 as is the RAF Cosford Airshow which has already started selling tickets..

Scampton Airshow 2018 is also missing from flightline UK's list of RAF 100 events (hopefully just a typo):
http://www.air-shows.org.uk/2017/10/air ... s-in-2018/

Could ScamptonMarketing/ RIAT Air Ops help clarify?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

BossMann wrote:Still no updates on the Scampton Airshow 2018 website/ facebook page..... whilst RIAT has already sold out all FRIAT packages and is actively marketing RIAT 2018 as is the RAF Cosford Airshow which has already started selling tickets..

Scampton Airshow 2018 is also missing from flightline UK's list of RAF 100 events (hopefully just a typo):
http://www.air-shows.org.uk/2017/10/air ... s-in-2018/

Could ScamptonMarketing/ RIAT Air Ops help clarify?

Clarify what?

Why two shows that are 3 and 2 months before Scampton are selling tickets before Scampton are?
That the show is missing from an unofficial list published by an unofficial website that is not in any shape or form involved in RAF100?

Meanwhile, on the official website of RAF100, the official list has the show included clear as day...
https://www.raf.mod.uk/raf100/whats-on/ ... n-airshow/

The show is over 10 months away, between then and now the same team have the Concerts and RIAT to organise among a bucket of other things, the site will be updated when they’re ready to.

Give them a break/chance - if they updated the website before they actually had anything to tell us people would be then asking/criticising that there were no updates or news!

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

Boff, before you start pointing fingers at other websites, take a look at RAF100 website which lists Key Events - https://www.raf.mod.uk/raf100/about/

Scampton is not included!!!!

Also, the official press document - https://www.raf.mod.uk/raf100/rafcentenary/assets/File/RAF100%20Media_Event_Press_Brief_Updated_Appeal.pdf

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

The important word there is Key, Scampton isn’t on that list but it is on the list of RAF100 events.

There are two lists!

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

For once I'm going to side with the official commentator (Boff180), there is far too much speculation, almost always negative on UKAR. Its November, just, as Boff says, Scampton is at the far end of the Calendar. I don't think Duxford and Jersey have much to say about what they are doing in September yet either. If RIAT were to bill the F-35 participation as early, they'd have advertised it back in August. Furthermore, RIAT are indeed notorious for getting the ball rolling super early, Scampton while organised by the same team, I imagine, is still relegated further down the pecking order, if only to prioritise much needed work on the earlier bigger event.

Don't panic, I'm sure all will be grand! :cuppa:

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

We are all supporters of the Scampton Airshow and all went this year and we all want it to be a success for the future....

I just spoke to the Scampton airshow office - the kind lady said that they were still looking at the 'wash up' and feedback from last years show to see what changes need to be made but could not actually confirm that the show would be going ahead in 2018 as yet but just said to sign up to the newsletter and we would be informed via email about it and when tickets would go on sale etc......

She also said that they are running late with selling RIAT tickets so hopefully its just a delay factor with the RAFCTE running 2 shows 2 months apart

I hope this helps clarify things......... so keeping fingers crossed for some good news soon from RAF Scampton

XX752

Post by XX752 »

BossMann wrote:We are all supporters of the Scampton Airshow and all went this year and we all want it to be a success for the future....

I just spoke to the Scampton airshow office - the kind lady said that they were still looking at the 'wash up' and feedback from last years show to see what changes need to be made but could not actually confirm that the show would be going ahead in 2018 as yet but just said to sign up to the newsletter and we would be informed via email about it and when tickets would go on sale etc......

She also said that they are running late with selling RIAT tickets so hopefully its just a delay factor with the RAFCTE running 2 shows 2 months apart

I hope this helps clarify things......... so keeping fingers crossed for some good news soon from RAF Scampton

This above, coupled with mumbling's I've heard, I have a nasty feeling that this years Scampton airshow will be the first....and last........ Really hope I'm wrong but next years provisional schedule clashes with high profile events in Europe.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Best to ask n0143773 if they'll be a show.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

rdchawk wrote:Best to ask n0143773 if they'll be a show.

Well whatever answer he gives - we'll know to expect the opposite!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Never one to be negative, I've noticed that Flightline UK have now dropped it from their 2018 Calendar review. The official website remains up, with no mention of next year's dates. Flightline UK still have billed for 8th and 9th September on their general Calendar, just not the review!? :dizzy:

I've sent a query to Flightline UK regarding this, I trust they will respond soon. :cuppa:

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

When are tickets for next years Airshow, due to go on sale ? I would like to go both days
this time. Eddie

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

I suspect I might be in Belgium that weekend.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Oddly, all traces now gone from the RAF100 site :(
Official list

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Chrisse wrote:Oddly, all traces now gone from the RAF100 site :(
Official list
https://www.raf.mod.uk/raf100/whats-on/scampton-airshow/ was still working a few minutes ago.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

aviodromefriend wrote:
Chrisse wrote:Oddly, all traces now gone from the RAF100 site :(
Official list
https://www.RAF.mod.uk/raf100/whats-on/scampton-airshow/ was still working a few minutes ago.

It still is, but no longer linked to, it's an orphaned page, which means for your average visitor, it is not included at the moment :(