Newbie here.

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
Cole

Newbie here.

Post by Cole »

Hey guys. i've done a tiny bit of modeling before with Revell kits but never really painted and decal'd them.
i want to really get into it now and i want to know what i need and what you guys recommend.
i understand there is a decal solution? whats the deal with that?

Thanks Guys
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

iainpeden

Re: Newbie here.

Post by iainpeden »

Crikey - Where to start?
Find the website "Britmodeller" and get signed up.
Find the IPMS (UK) website and find local model shows or model clubs to join.

The suggestions above will give you the chance to see how others model, information on techniques and the chance to talk to people who model for fun.

Don't think you have to become a master modeller overnight; I have been cutting, gluing and painting for 50 years and couldn't reach the standard of that select few. To me modelling is fun and I can get to a stamdard which satisfies me.

Research your subject - the internet is great for that but there is a huge variety of books on all sorts of subjects.

Buy a modelling magazine - Airfix Scale World and Scale Aircraft Modelling are my favourites.

Decal solution. Decals/transfers go down best onto a gloss surface and you can use a gloss varnish to achive that or a floor polish call Klear. Decal solution will then be applied to soften the decal so it adheres closer to the surface. Then the whole lot can be sealed with a gloss, satin or matt varnish.

Last bit: if you're not sure just ask because we've all been there!
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Cole

Post by Cole »

Thanks for that.
Any ideas of what i need to buy like what kind of glue, paints, kits etc. ?
Dudley, West Midlands

Well Um..

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

You need polystyrene cement; personally I like the Revel Contacta which comes in a small plastic container with a needle applicator which makes it less messy.

Paints are a bit of a personal choice because you will find your own favourites.

Point 1 is that you have a choice of enamel and acrylic based paint; the former need white spirit or brush cleaner to clean whereas you can clean brushes used for acrylic under a tap. To some extent it depends on what you have locally, the best known ones - and probably most easily available. are Humbrol, Xtracolour and Revell
Point 2 is how you apply the paint - either a brush, using different sizes for different jobs or an airbrush which is like a precision spray gun. Some us use Halfords rattle cans for some jobs, priming or for white surfaces. Can also be used for a natural metal finish. Tamiya and Airfix also do rattle cans.

You might want to search out a local model shop to go and have a look.

You might want to try some of the Airfix starter kits - althought the paints are not great in those - or look on e-bay for cheaper kits to practice. You never stop learning. Don't buy a big expensive complicated kit because it'll just put you off.

I see you live in Dudley - google Dudley Hobby shop and this comes up

The Arcade Toy Shop
Traditional retailer selling old-school and modern toys, games, models and dolls since 1968.
Address: Fountain Arcade, Dudley DY1 1PG

Looks like it sells paints and models so its a starter for you.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

HawkT1

Post by HawkT1 »

forget other less worthy modelling sites and come over to MMM we are a friendly bunch

www.mainlymilitary.co.uk

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Hi I would go out and buy a airfix starter set with the paints etc to start with. That has acrylic paints which are pretty much what most people use now as they are easier than the old enamels. Build and paint that and see how you get on, don't take it too seriously, just get a feel for building and painting. Have a think on how much you want to spend and how much modelling you will do? I only build over the winter and have a cheap airbrush and don't bother with all the extra bits like different decals and detailing, you can get now a days. Once you get a couple of cheap kits under your belt see how you feel.
I probably build 5 or so models a winter and probably end up with a couple that are good, a couple that are ok, and one that ends up in the bin! Don't think that were are all up to some of amazing standards that you see on line, the majority are now. Just enjoy what you do!

Craig

Post by Craig »

Welcome aboard!

It's a small community on here but a helpful one. There are several members on here who know their stuff and new, enthusiastic members are always welcome to ask questions and learn.

In terms of starting out It's basically a case of patience. There's some jaw dropping models out there but this is many hours practice and much money in the swear box! To get started I'd echo the comment on Revell Contacta though the Airfix version is also very good. The key bit is glue with a needle applicator as being accurate will save you a lot of grief. Don't use this on clear parts though as you'll fog them. There is an adhesive called Clearfix that's ideal for this.

Next job is filling seams. Revell Plasto is my filler of choice then emry board nail files to smooth it down. Using as little as possible and building layers is key here, don't forget most of what you apply you have to sand off!

Then It's just finishing. Airbrushing is undoubtedly the way to go but It's not easy and It's a fairly time consuming exercise. I'd advise start off small. A 1:72 Airfix starter set of a favourite subject and go from there. Don't start with anything too demanding to begin with or you'll just get bogged down.

Above all enjoy, feel free to ask and if you'd like to post some pictures for guidance as you go along feel free! :smile:

Cole

Post by Cole »

Thanks guys, i think im gonna head out to the local model shop and have a look what they got in.
I appreciate your advice :smile:
Dudley, West Midlands

Well Um..