Miss Demeanour Sold

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
patrouille2001

Miss Demeanour Sold

Post by patrouille2001 »

Sad News Everyone, According to her Facebook page, Miss Demeanour has been sold and is off to Canada. :sad:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: Miss Demeanour Sold

Post by Tommy »

:sad: :sad:

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/MissDemeanourOfficial/posts/1496180147136289[/fb-post]

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Very sad indeed, She was a real stalwart of the scene, and loved that blue- note. :sad:
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

CJS

Post by CJS »

Shame, but if she's going to remain flying that's preferable to her rotting in a hangar in the UK surely?
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

It's a shame but not a surprise. The classic jet scene has pretty much withered away since the events of Shoreham :(

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

CJS wrote:....that's preferable to her rotting in a hangar in the UK surely?

Still based at St Athan with HAS unless I'm mistaken, not 'rotting away' yet. :wink:
Wonder how they'll move her....stick it on a Canadian registration then fly it out ?
Guess I'll have to keep an ear out for flight tests, if they do that.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

My enduring memory of Flapjack displays will always be the low, slow canopy open pass. Pure class!

rob68

Post by rob68 »

My memory, scaring the **** out of me at BH when I didn't see that run in. Funny how much it was liked in a non authentic scheme. I'm painting my spitfire like that when I win the loto

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Brevet Cable wrote:Guess I'll have to keep an ear out for flight tests, if they do that.

Now I'm local that way, Brev, give me a shout would you? :wink:

I'll miss Miss D. greatly. An absolutely terrific blue-noter, though I think the best in recent years was that Raspberry Ripple one (I forget the reg/serial) that moved to France. That was splendid. Never heard what happened with that...

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Tommy wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:Guess I'll have to keep an ear out for flight tests, if they do that.

Now I'm local that way, Brev, give me a shout would you? :wink:

I'll miss Miss D. greatly. An absolutely terrific blue-noter, though I think the best in recent years was that Raspberry Ripple one (I forget the reg/serial) that moved to France. That was splendid. Never heard what happened with that...

Sad to see her go but glad I was at Duxford for this pass alone.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIhTsA4vPj8[/youtube]

As for the Raspberry Ripple XE601, the best Blue Noter bar the Dutch F6. Last rumour I heard, it was to be a spares source for the others in France? :sad:

centaurus18

Post by centaurus18 »

Hardly a surpise to be fair whom the new owners are (if it is indeed ATAC/Northern Lights)... it'll certainly be put to work somewhere in the world.

XE601 could be brought back to flying condition - she too is in Canada now along with the other jets formerly based in France - C-GZIB (F-58 J-40xx), C-FGHU (F-58 J-4073) and C-FUKW (T-68 J-4208)
Mark
'We’re in the stickiest situation, since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.'

CJS

Post by CJS »

For those who don't have FB, here's his statement in full from yesterday:

"Epilogue

Probably not the last post I’ll make on Miss Demeanour’s FB, but enough to call this an epilogue.
Miss Demeanour has now been sold and will go to Canada to Lortie Aviation Inc.

I’m saddened that no one came forward to continue displaying her and I know from the people and numbers who frequent her FB, there will be many who will be disappointed she will never display again.
Because I had flown her for 16 years flying over 300 displays, I knew how easy she was to operate and couldn’t fathom why nobody serious came forward, not even to ask how I managed to operate a Jet warbird at a profit and could they do the same with her.

With all the big engine single seat Hunters being snapped up to return to a working life, the opportunity to fly such a high performance yet benign aircraft for the shear pleasure of it, is vanishing or has vanished, forever.
Those lucky enough to have flown in a two seat Hunter, baby or not, will know what a delight a Hunter is to fly but will not know how much greater the feeling is when flying a single seat Hunter. Imagine a street legal F1 and no speed limits or traffic.

Perhaps one day there will be Hawks available. I’ve never flown a Hawk but the performance differences put them miles apart. So I doubt that there will ever be another high performance single seat jet available that a PPL could aspire to fly in the UK or EU. It’s something to fly an aircraft at sea level + 50' when the limit becomes a Mach figure, pull the stick back to vertical and top out at 20,000'+

I never had any doubt that Miss Demeanour would succeed on the display circuit but the ultimate level of success and number of years did surprise me.

A snippet of the journey. The normally way of getting in to a Hunter is to clip a Hunter specific ladder on the side. In the early years when there was no ladder, I would run at the side of the cockpit, jump and place my left foot in to the spring flap covered recess for the ladder and grasp the cockpit rail so the other leg could reach over in to the cockpit. People were amazed not at my agility but that my left foot always found the roughly 6" square flap. There came the days when the jump wasn’t high enough and I did a fair impression of the Road Runner slapping in to the side and sliding to the ground!

I'm proud of what I did to turn Miss Demeanour in to a glass cockpit 21st Century aircraft. This meant I could spend most of the time looking out for other bits of wood or aluminium sharing the sky with me. The only thing she lacked was an autopilot for the long transits where holding a flight level ± 50' took concentration. I’m forever grateful for the London & Scottish Military radar services, who, outside the Radar Corridors, would give me a 1000' box and freedom to take in the view of all the UK from 45,000'. At that height, it’s a very small country.

Annie, my wife, whilst not exactly jealous of my other lady, almost broke my heart when, after I had stopped displaying Miss Demeanour, said she played and sang along to Caro Emerald’s song “Stuck”, when I was away displaying. The line “Why am I sitting in the middle of nowhere, standing here with nothing to do, wondering if I really love you, oh oh, I guess that I do”

The world is changing and for me, many of the things I used to do are now forbidden or lack the freedom of expression.

I quote from something I wrote for an article Richard Paver put together:-
The display world has changed dramatically in my almost 30 years of displaying. As at today's date, post Shoreham, has safety really improved? For display pilots, yes it has. For them, Rules have made display flying safer, they have not made it safe. The sad truth is that reading the AAIB's findings, had all the new rules been in place in August 2015, they would not have prevented the crash, just that the location might have been 220 metres further away.
Western society is ever increasingly risk averse but all that seems to have done is breed Risk Assessments so that should something tragic happen and say the pilot was amongst the fatalities, given a lack flight recording or obvious aircraft problems, others can be lined up to take the blame. Is displaying the fun it used to be? no it isn't but I have no doubt that human nature will endure and what today seems unburdenable, will become routine. Was I lucky enough to have displayed in the best period? No, the ones I used to watch before I started displaying had the best period and I sure that they said and each further iteration of display pilots will say the same about their period!
I look back on the past almost 20 years of owning Miss Demeanour as a tremendous privilege more than an achievement.

All the people I’ve met that I would never have met.

The obvious pleasure Miss Demeanour has given to many hundred of thousands.

Finally, all the Display Organisers that made it possible and understood that not everyone wanted to see yet another drab military aircraft flying. In particular, thanks to the late Jock Maitland who gave us our first big break at Biggin Hill, TSA Consulting’s Ray Thilthorpe, Ian Sheeley and latterly Dave Walton who with their whole team, recognised Miss Demeanour was designed for air shows as did Brian Lewis with his shows. Thanks also to the engineers throughout the years, from Jet Heritage, the short period at Delta Jets and finally with John Sparks and his engineers at Exeter and then St Athan. In the 16 years of flying her, I can only recall two displays I was unable to attend or complete due to serviceability.

So, thank you all again for being on the journey with me and your love and enthusiasm for Miss Demeanour.
For 2018, I’m planning on producing a “coffee table” book compiled of the photos I’ve had taken or sent to me. Primarily of Miss Demeanour, but also other photos that are just too good to remain on my hard drive or hanging on my wall. Where I can, I will credit the photographer but some I simply don’t know who took them. To those, I thank you."

I for one am glad I saw her in the air. :wave: :sad:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

Thanks "Flapjack" 16 years of great displaying in a great and unique aircraft, missed of course, but not forgotten! That book will be on my table alright!

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Sad to read this from a Chap that loved what he did. I'm not a fan of these types of colour schemes but I sure would like to see a Hunter in the sky again no matter what it was painted.

No Truer a word written IHMOL: "Was I lucky enough to have displayed in the best period? No, the ones I used to watch before I started displaying had the best period and I sure that they said and each further iteration of display pilots will say the same about their period!"
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

Sad to see this happen, it was always a pleasure to see it. The colour scheme was pretty good, at least it wasn't plastered with logos. That was a nice piece the pilot has written as well, and he obviously enjoyed flying Miss D.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

st24

Post by st24 »

Probably my least favourite Hunter so no problem here....
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Probably the best liked Hunter, loved by the millions of families up and down the country, such a favourite at the seaside airshows,
You have to see the facts that more people would see MIss D at 1 seaside show then all the other base shows put together per season.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

In more positive Hunter news:
[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/colin.boyd.14/posts/10156950936869517[/fb-post]
I know a lot of people don't think they will get to see a Hunter grace the UK skies and airshows ever again especially with the departure of Miss D... I have the honour of telling you that is absolutely not true, many people have been working hard in the background John Sparks and Chris Heames to make sure this will happen and Firefox will be back as soon as practically possible and have deep maintenance, after that she will be appearing at airshows and airfields near Stansted quite regularly...

Note John's comment:
There have been a few people in getting this far. Although a lot of people have blamed the CAA for everything, i can assure you that they have done an awful lot to assist even though it seems that they have not. There is definitely going to be Hunters flying before the end of the year ( I have Permits to fly two Hunters already and hopefully the third in a couple of weeks) and yes it is sad to see Miss D to go but there are other aircraft. If i get time getting the other aircraft ready then i will try my best to get my own Hunter ready for next year, G-PRII

Terrific news :clap:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Very sad to see Miss Demeanour go, but great news about the other Hunters!
Last edited by Jakub.Zurek on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Very sad to see Miss D go. She was the first Hunter I saw display when I got back into attending airshows in 2010 after a decade or so not going. Great to see there will still be Hunters flying though.

centaurus18

Post by centaurus18 »

I guess potentially we still have (potentially means they could be given a PtoF)...

PR.11 WT723 G-PRII (St Athan)
T.7 WV318 G-FFOX ("Stansted")
T.8B WV322 G-BZSE (North Weald)
T.7 XL573 G-BVGH (St Athan)
T.8C N-321 G-BWGL (Netherlands)
F.6A N-294 G-KAXF (Netherlands)

Add to that HHA's 3, potentially 4/5 airframes as well.
Mark
'We’re in the stickiest situation, since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.'

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

FFOX will presumably be at North Weald.

The two Dutch ones, currently at St Athan, will be heading back soon.

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

Some good news then!

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

For me a Miss D display wasn't just about the airframe, but about the way it was so perfectly displayed. I honestly think the scheme is a bit of a moot point. And I'm not convinced it would ever be the same again without Flapjack in the cockpit.

that said..
Pat Murphy wrote:As for the Raspberry Ripple XE601, the best Blue Noter bar the Dutch F6....

Having been lucky enough to see a couple of XE601's rare appearances, it was supremely good. There was one occasion at Airbus Broughton that was an outstanding moment. And a rare instant when I wish I had a video camera. There's a classic jet photo thread isn't there?. give me a minute.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Genuinely sad. Such a magnificent looking aeroplane. I'm glad I got to see her right at the end, even if it was literally just the one time. It'll be a sad day when she departs.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016