Abingdon Bof B At Home 1978

Aviation related video clips and links
st24

Abingdon Bof B At Home 1978

Post by st24 »

A memorable day out for a 13 year old st24. Another short clip but some good stuff to be had. No foreign stuff either flying or static - just RAF with token AAC choppers and Navy Historic Flight and Lynx but a full afternoons flying ensued to much delight. Proper air show days..

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re6xuOObXXI[/youtube]
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

farnboroughrob

Re: Abingdon Bof B At Home 1978

Post by farnboroughrob »

Great stuff, my first Abingdon, did every other BofB after that, except the one they Cancelled. Was always the season closer, love nosing round the Jaguar hangars. Foreign participation was unpredictable, loads one year, nothing the next. Great days.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

I was there, having made the trip up from Tonbridge where I was living at the time. Got a few images on A.net, including one of the maintenance hanger.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

st24

Post by st24 »

farnboroughrob wrote:Great stuff, my first Abingdon, did every other BofB after that, except the one they Cancelled. Was always the season closer, love nosing round the Jaguar hangars. Foreign participation was unpredictable, loads one year, nothing the next. Great days.

Same here, and likewise, only missed a couple due to other shows. I recall we only went because dad had been disappointed with Farnborough the week before - not enough jets and he wanted his fix! Bizarre looking back at the stuff that actually was at Farnborough but hey, no complaints

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

That was the Farnborough that the US decided they didn't want to show military aircraft as it suddenly gained a conscious on arms sales, it didn't last long!

st24

Post by st24 »

farnboroughrob wrote:That was the Farnborough that the US decided they didn't want to show military aircraft as it suddenly gained a conscious on arms sales, it didn't last long!

Indeed, apart from a static A-10 and CH-47 in the flying; '76 had been superb and '80 was a classic.