North Weald November (Updated w/ C-47)

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

North Weald November (Updated w/ C-47)

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Recent visits haven't yielded much variety - only one of the based Jet Provosts has been regularly active. The Sukhoi is a regular visitor from Southend (most weekends actually), but it normally parks at the Squadron on the other side of the airfield, so it's not often that I photograph it.

Sukhoi Su-29 HA-YAO - North Weald, November 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr

Hunting-Percival Jet Provost T.3 XN637 (G-BKOU) - North Weald, November 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr

Hunting-Percival Jet Provost T.3 XN637 (G-BKOU) - North Weald, November 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr

Friendly wave from the instructor...

Flight lasted about an hour, heading north-east towards Felixstowe/Harwich area, arriving back just before the cloud rolled in...

It was all quiet upon arrival last weekend. Just about to call it a day, but a quick look on FR24 before heading off showed G-BKOU heading back to the airfield, and then a few minutes later, the Air Ambulance was also showing inbound. There was a Gazelle in too, but I just missed it departing, so here's Helimed55 approaching from the north west...

AgustaWestland AW169 G-HHEM - Hertfordshire Air Ambulance - North Weald, November 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr

AgustaWestland AW169 G-HHEM - Hertfordshire Air Ambulance - North Weald, November 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr

...and 'Oscar Uniform' too. Different crew, but no less happy.

I've not seen anything out from Hangar 11 since September. :sad:

Hopefully the Hunter and Red Pelicans JP3 will be flying soon. I've still not seen the based Harvard flying yet either.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Jumbo

Re: North Weald November

Post by Jumbo »

Nice photos. The red pelicans JP flew again last week i think.

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

Nice pics and great light! Wandering off topic a little, have you noticed any activity/progress on the Skymaster? do you know if the project is still a runner even?
Cheers.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Yes, the Pelicans JP did fly, but it hasn't done since as its undergoing checks again according to Weald Aviation's Facebook page.

I haven't noticed any activity on the C-54. There were people around it quite often earlier in the year, but they were conducting assessments etc before the announcement was made IIRC.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Very good, and as said, beautiful light, especially on the close-up of the chopper. :clap:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Another nice, clean set, mate. Something really charming about the 4th shot of the JP & C-54 in the background. Fabulous composition, that. :worship: :worship:

chrisward123

Post by chrisward123 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Yes, the Pelicans JP did fly, but it hasn't done since as its undergoing checks again according to Weald Aviation's Facebook page.

I haven't noticed any activity on the C-54. There were people around it quite often earlier in the year, but they were conducting assessments etc before the announcement was made IIRC.

Great shots.
The C-54 guys which were at RIAT this year were hoping to get the C-54 to RIAT next year but with little work on her that looks unlikely surely!?!
Lakes Lightning Collection

CJS

Post by CJS »

Nice set, I do like a nice JP :-)

Daft question , but why is the Sukhoi piloted from the back seat? It seems that the visibility, especially for take off/landing must be much much worse than from the front seat... :dunno:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

CJS wrote:Daft question , but why is the Sukhoi piloted from the back seat? It seems that the visibility, especially for take off/landing must be much much worse than from the front seat... :dunno:

I couldn't answer that, sorry.

Quick visit on a run into Harlow today to find the Aces High C-47 sat on the ramp at Weald Aviation. Friendly chap told me it wasn't departing (staying for the next four months apparently) but said I could walk around the back to get some shots.

Douglas C-47A Skytrain 2100884 (N147DC) - Aces High - North Weald, November 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr

Douglas C-47A Skytrain 2100884 (N147DC) - Aces High - North Weald, November 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

CJS wrote:Daft question , but why is the Sukhoi piloted from the back seat? It seems that the visibility, especially for take off/landing must be much much worse than from the front seat... :dunno:

Weight and balance - there's quite a few aircraft like that.

tuska2

Re: North Weald November (Updated w/ C-47)

Post by tuska2 »

All Daks are beauties, but that is one of my favorite, even if the panel work was done by a blacksmith!

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

C-47 shots win the prize. Lucked out with that winter light too.

jaguar54

Post by jaguar54 »

Worked and flown in that C-47 many times in the past.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Thanks for the comments.

tuska2 wrote:All Daks are beauties, but that is one of my favorite, even if the panel work was done by a blacksmith!

Panel work is great - I love warbirds to look their age. It's the paint that's always let it down. Very rough and ready, and some dubious colour choices. Maybe it'll get a repaint during the maintenance?

Did you fit a trip to North Weald in btw?

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

LN Strike Eagle, yes I did a recce there, but what was a fine morning at home was a dull murky day there! luck of the draw as always! but thanks to your earlier advice I did suss out some nice angles and locations, which I shall try at some point. I've always had a soft spot for NW, even though I'd only previously done airshows - and what crackers they were! Thanks again , Cheers!