Revell F-4J Phantom questions?

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
Unknown74

Revell F-4J Phantom questions?

Post by Unknown74 »

I have bought the Revell 1/72 F-4J Phantom II US Navy Model Kit which I intend to make as an RAF F-4J(UK) of 74 Tiger Squadron, my questions are which shade of grey were the RAF F-4J(UK) painted? Was it Barley Grey? Also is it best doing matt or gloss black for the Tail?

Oh and I've ordered the Squadron Markings.

ArabJazzie

Re: Revell F-4J Phantom questions?

Post by ArabJazzie »

Can of worms time for this one!

Not fully up on the F-4Js but you have to choose what era of your chosen airframe for the shade of grey to paint it in. When first delivered, they had a US interpretation of the shades and only got the UK equivalent during rework.

But if you have the markings on the way, that im sure will provide the answers.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

I'm think towards the end of the F-4J(UK)'s RAF Service Life when I would have seen them around Late 80's, Early 90's. Seeing as I only came into this in 1986/1987.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

The Revell kit is, I believe, the old Monogram one from the late 1970s/early 80s; that said it builds well (just watch the join between the lower intake lips and the fuselage/wing).

The RAF bought 15 F-4Js which were reworked and repainted in the USA using FS colour paints. When they arrived they looked like a light blue rather than gray and there is speculation about this being the result of a thin top coat over a green/yellow undercoat. The first a/c to get a , partial, black tail was one which broke down on the way over and arrived late having been got at by ground crew - I think in Cananda but could be wrong. It was a time when the Phantom squadrons took the decision to paint tails in higher visibility colours a bit further than intended and we ended up with 56 and 92 with red tails, 92s boss a/c with a blue tail, the OCU with blue tails and 74 with black (happy days).

The air defence colours for the Phantoms were light a/c gray underside, medium sea grey upper (inner) wings and barley gray fuselage, outer wing panels and tail planes. All to BS standard.

The US equivalents (FS) were light gull gray underside and I believe light stone gray and something else - I think xtracolour did the colours at some point and will try to find my references.

As to the tail - decal onto gloss and then matt down to suit.

A small number of the F-4Js went though rework in the UK and were repainted in British colours; I think 3 but stand to be corrected.

There's a whole section on Britmodeller here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/inde ... om/&page=1

Enjoy!
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Jamesv9820

Post by Jamesv9820 »

I bullt one for Airfix magazine a few years back now. To get the flint grey hue colour I sprayed Tamiya xf-4 as a primer then used lifecolour ua124 flint grey over the top. Worked a treat.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Unknown74 wrote:I have bought the Revell 1/72 F-4J Phantom II US Navy Model Kit which I intend to make as an RAF F-4J(UK) of 74 Tiger Squadron, my questions are which shade of grey were the RAF F-4J(UK) painted? Was it Barley Grey? Also is it best doing matt or gloss black for the Tail?

Oh and I've ordered the Squadron Markings.

When i first answered this, something was nagging at me as to where info like this could be found. Im sure ive said before for you to look at Britmodeller and i will re-iterate that. There is a pinned thread in Military Aircraft Modelling Discussion/Cold War that im sure has all the answers you are looking for. On Britmodeller, you will even find info about other questions you have asked recently.
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

I know it's not correct but I've chosen US Ghost Grey with RAF Markings plus black tail.