Where has XH558 thread gone?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Brevet Cable

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Post by Brevet Cable »

I've asked the question on the VTTS forum.

Having looked through some of 911T's previous posts...(snip)...I have no reason to doubt them.

The problem is, you have the 'it's outside' post with no real elaboration. As you queried, there could have been a number of reasons why this has happened.
Whilst some may question/disagree with some of what 'bernarde' posts, at least he tends to provide details or further clarificaton.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Posted by Taff on the VTTS forum in reply to my question :
2 Excel are in the process of setting up their own 145 Maintenance Organisation in the Hangar, which will hopefully be operational in January and need the space
아직도 숨어있다

Tolatrafi

Post by Tolatrafi »

Ok, and now the Swift is outside and open to the elements as well? :sad:

So - where IS all the money going?? All 3 aircraft are now sat out in the open at (presumably) minimal parking charges, the Trust had (a minimal of) 200k at the start of the year and more than 100k for the names under the wings debacle plus all the other income from sales of parts etc. - that’s an awful lot of money for 3 aircraft sat outside with no public access!

Such a sad ending to what should have been one of the greatest restoration projects of the modern age :sad:

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Tolatrafi wrote:Ok, and now the Swift is outside and open to the elements as well? :sad:

So - where IS all the money going?? All 3 aircraft are now sat out in the open at (presumably) minimal parking charges, the Trust had (a minimal of) 200k at the start of the year and more than 100k for the names under the wings debacle plus all the other income from sales of parts etc. - that’s an awful lot of money for 3 aircraft sat outside with no public access!

Such a sad ending to what should have been one of the greatest restoration projects of the modern age :sad:

That is the point that annoys lots of people, the amount of money that as passed through the trust since its last flight, with nothing to show but a deteriorating Vulcan sat outside.
Anyone want to do the sums and add up the amount since last flight.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Isn’t this month or next that the new hangar was originally mooted to have been built for 558?
Got to love Russianhardware

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:Isn’t this month or next that the new hangar was originally mooted to have been built for 558?

Yes, but that was with the mythical developer.
Guess it will be a public or peoples begging bonanza in the new year or she gets the chop.

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

I'm sure I read Robin Hood Airport is currently not charging them anything for parking. There is circumstancial evidence that 558 currently has very little fuel on board. So you have to conclude that the VttST is currently raising money purely to pay wages and further it's own existence.

There may be a small amount being spent on anti det "checks" which I hope include running the engines and burning a small amount of fuel.

Let's hope the current fund raising is in fact accumulating a pot of money for the future and/or being used to aid in pitching to developers. If the accounts for next year show all the money has again been wasted it will be a tragedy and scandalous. That said there fortunately seems to be a large army of people happy to give their money to VttST regardless of whether it's used to help 558 or not.

Hopefully some of that money will eventually seep through to actually preserving these aircraft rather than funding stillborn grandiose unrealistic ideas.

IgnatiusJReilly

Post by IgnatiusJReilly »

Xm657 wrote:...So you have to conclude that the VttST is currently raising money purely to pay wages and further it's own existence.

VTTS in a nutshell..
Compare & contrast to the actual progress being made by the volunteers doing demonstrable restoration work on XL388.
The VTTS newsletter has reduced itself to a weekly sales promotion.
Very difficult to see any outcome to this other than that predicted by DoH.
Eccentric, idealistic, and creative, sometimes to the point of delusion..

911T

Post by 911T »

Brevet Cable wrote:I've asked the question on the VTTS forum.

Having looked through some of 911T's previous posts...(snip)...I have no reason to doubt them.

The problem is, you have the 'it's outside' post with no real elaboration. As you queried, there could have been a number of reasons why this has happened.
Whilst some may question/disagree with some of what 'bernarde' posts, at least he tends to provide details or further clarificaton.

Well, as I said previously I'm stating facts. Surely there's no problem with 'its outside' that's self explanatory. Bit like your mum saying go and play outside, if subsequently you set the jumpers for goal posts in the living room ....

'In the middle of the airfield' well, you might be able to hazard a guess as to its physical location, the clue being 'middle'.

What is clear is that for all the hot air expanded about VTTS and the location by both for and against posters, there's clearly no one who has actually bothered to go and look over the fence, or ask someone. Why is it outside?, because the space it was taking up inside is in use, and likely to remain so.
So its not posted anywhere else on the internet, so what? As I said before I've actually posted factual information including a date and 'time' when it occurred. Go and check properly rather than glibly typing into search engines and claiming 'computer says no'. Hmm no chance of exclusive info finding its way here obvs ...

Once you've confirmed the facts I look forward to suitably obsequious and toadying apology. Do excuse me, there's a window near me that needs licking.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Well done....have a banana.
아직도 숨어있다

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

If the Swift is now outdoors it wouldn't be surprising or really anything to get too excited about. As I understand it Excel (the new tenants of Hangar 3) allowed the Swift to stay in the Hangar for free as they had space. It sounds like Excel no longer have the space so the arrangement is off.

So if the Swift is outside now and staying outside, I would imagine it will join 558 and 163 next the the sewage works in due course. Or maybe Excel might find space for it indoors again.

The status of the Swift doesn't represent any change in the fortunes or status of the VttST. However if it is outside permanently now (I'm going to visit Doncaster airport over Xmas so will check), I wonder if the Swift's owner might decide it is better elsewhere and have it removed before the expensive restoration is degraded by outdoor storage.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

911T wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:I've asked the question on the VTTS forum.

Well, as I said previously I'm stating facts. Surely there's no problem with 'its outside' that's self explanatory. Bit like your mum saying go and play outside, if subsequently you set the jumpers for goal posts in the living room ....

'In the middle of the airfield' well, you might be able to hazard a guess as to its physical location, the clue being 'middle'.

What is clear is that for all the hot air expanded about VTTS and the location by both for and against posters, there's clearly no one who has actually bothered to go and look over the fence, or ask someone. Why is it outside?, because the space it was taking up inside is in use, and likely to remain so.
So its not posted anywhere else on the internet, so what? As I said before I've actually posted factual information including a date and 'time' when it occurred. Go and check properly rather than glibly typing into search engines and claiming 'computer says no'. Hmm no chance of exclusive info finding its way here obvs ...

Once you've confirmed the facts I look forward to suitably obsequious and toadying apology. Do excuse me, there's a window near me that needs licking.

It's been a while since we've had someone quite as condescending as yourself on this forum, clearly your parents never taught you to play nicely with others, or maybe you just didn't actually have any friends left to play with?

So, the price of exclusive info is having to read your nasty replies when someone questions anything you say? Learn to play nicely or go elsewhere, as I seriously doubt you'd be missed here....

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:Isn’t this month or next that the new hangar was originally mooted to have been built for 558?

The current "plan" said planning permission should be received about now too. I wonder if it is going to be in soon? As Mr Pleming has said he expects the new Hangar to be open during 2018 and it'll take 12 months to build, not much time to hang around.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Xm657 wrote:

The current "plan" said planning permission should be received about now too. I wonder if it is going to be in soon? As Mr Pleming has said he expects the new Hangar to be open during 2018 and it'll take 12 months to build, not much time to hang around.
I thought that was when they thought everything would go as smoothly as they wished for, with no opposition from other people or organisations. I thought there were at least two organisations or people not going happyclapping to this plan (airport and an environmental radicalist).

But while we are at VTTST, I didn't receive their newsletter last week. Also I put an order for that Swift book to their webshop, that is now "processing" since last monday. You can criticise them for whatever you want, but most of the time I used their webshop, as soon as an order went into processing, it was despatched within 24 hours. All this makes you wonder if they aren't up for big (financial) trouble at this very time.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Funny you should say that... I was browsing their Facebook page to see if there was any talk of the Swift going outdoors.

There's almost no comments at all about anything never mind the Swift being added to any of the posts - unless everything is negative and getting deleted!!

Anyway the one recent comment that had been left was by someone trying to buy the novelty compressor blades. Apparently they have telephoned the Web shop several times and there is no answer and left messages which haven't been returned. Someone else replied to say they've had a similar experience. Very odd for the web shop to be unresponsive in the lead up to Christmas - unless they are just incredibly busy despatching purchases? Might be nothing or maybe be the beginning of the end already...

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

aviodromefriend wrote:But while we are at VTTST, I didn't receive their newsletter last week.

Links deleted 'cos it's been pointed out that my E-mail address was showing on them
:facepalm:
Last edited by Brevet Cable on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
아직도 숨어있다

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

I got these. There was so much retail promotional content I didn't actually realise it was the newsletter though. However there is a Vulcan history article and obituary at the bottom, so business as usual I guess.

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

https://www.facebook.com/VulcanRestorat ... 338586457/

XL426 stretching her legs earlier today. If the VRT can achieve this sort of thing at a busy commercial airport, maybe there's hope for 558 yet. Begs the question though how a handful of unpaid volunteers on a shoestring budget can do this yet the VttTS have burned through millions of pounds with nothing to show for it.

kinglear27

Post by kinglear27 »

Interesting how XL426 managed to taxi up the runway and taxiway for a long period of time today at Southend, with the team there suggesting public runs next year - and on a limited budget I might add. If they can do it on a commercial airport, why cannot XH558. That begs a question about how determined VTTS actually are and how strong the relationship with DSA are.

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Yes indeed. There certainly is an irony. While Robin Hood have been very supportive financially they seem less than keen to allow 558 to trundle around under her own power. Which is something Mr Pleming should have had guaranteed before stranding her there.

However the VRT gave no notice today that this was happening and may face the problems VttST faced with crowd control when they eventually do a taxI run. When 558 over flew Southend it caused traffic chaos for hours which could have led to people missing their scheduled flights. Because of this 558 did not overfly Southend on the final farewell tour in 2015.

JetMan

Post by JetMan »

Some fantastic new additions for XL388, I'm sure they'll look great when they're finally installed next year.
[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/VulcanXL388/posts/1999698476911083[/fb-post] [fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/VulcanXL388/posts/1999705910243673[/fb-post]

The team there are running a £1000 New Year Challenge. They want to have raised £1000 by 23:59 on 31/12/17 to put them in good stead for the rest of the restoration. The money will allow them to buy paints, consumables, rare parts etc. and progress the work they're doing. If you can support them, please visit http://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/Vulcan-XL388

IgnatiusJReilly

Post by IgnatiusJReilly »

kinglear27 wrote:Interesting how XL426 managed to taxi up the runway and taxiway for a long period of time today at Southend, with the team there suggesting public runs next year - and on a limited budget I might add. If they can do it on a commercial airport, why cannot XH558. That begs a question about how determined VTTS actually are and how strong the relationship with DSA are.

....not forgetting the Bloodhound testing at Newquay & the thousands of visitors they managed to accommodate on several days..
Clearly, the truth of what's going on with the Swift will leak out sooner or later, but taken with the hangar planning objections raised by the airport, I'm seeing nothing to suggest that there is anything close to wide ranging or universal support for these aircraft at Doncaster.
Eccentric, idealistic, and creative, sometimes to the point of delusion..

steveb23

Post by steveb23 »

So is XH558 is now the least active Vulcan behind XM655 and XL426.
Both the later don’t have a large organisation behind them and operate on a shoe string budget.

What a sham VTTS have become, they did so much to fly 558 but are now failing so spectacularly it’s incredibly sad to watch. Right now I don’t see a way out of this for them. It can’t carry on parked in a corner of an airfield where no one can see it.

bernarde

Post by bernarde »

The swift was pushed out the hangar exactly a year after it went in.. VTTS cannot afford to pay 2Excel for the space or 2excel cutting all ties with VTTS - you decide... either way its a complete shambles.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

So you're saying Taff's version of events isn't true, then ?
아직도 숨어있다